• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2610 - couldn't resist

U

USERNAME

fellow GPS enthusiasts,

amazon had the garmin 2610 GPS on sale for $609 last week. i hemmed. i hawed. i said stupid things like, "well, i told myself i'd buy that unit when it was $600."

i checked back today, thinking i might get it, and lo and behold, it was down to $579. cha-ching, trigger pulled. i should have it sometime next week.

dang am i excited to get this unit.

just thought i'd share.

Dang you. I have been trying to hold out. I DON'T WANNA KNOW!

It's a pretty sweet unit, mang. You're gonna dig it. I've got a 1GB card in mine and have half of the country, at street level detail, stored on it.

The autorouting makes it fun to explore new roads. Set a destination, ride down the road, see an interesting road and head down the new road. The GPS will figure out how to get you home from there.

Wicked hella good fun.

[drools]

there was a guy over at advrider, a brit named MikeO. he quit his job and shipped his GS over to the states, and just rode around for 9 months or so. he had this same unit, and over and over and over i read posts like this:

"was knackered last night. got up today and told betty (he named his gps.) to get me to [town name] and use only secondary roads. blip, it routed, off i went. "

i'm sure other GPS units do similar things (for instance kbasa, i think youve got the bmw model with the extra buttons?) but the price on this one is getting to the point of being silly for the features and value it provides. SCDorman, just get one. if your SO gives you a hard time, go for a ride. :D

kbasa - will the unit hold a 2GB card? i'd love to just load the whole country and then forget about data transfers. i'm looking for a way to take a long trip without a laptop or a destination. just leave the house, and ride west.

username said:
[drools]

there was a guy over at advrider, a brit named MikeO. he quit his job and shipped his GS over to the states, and just rode around for 9 months or so. he had this same unit, and over and over and over i read posts like this:

"was knackered last night. got up today and told betty (he named his gps.) to get me to [town name] and use only secondary roads. blip, it routed, off i went. "

i'm sure other GPS units do similar things (for instance kbasa, i think youve got the bmw model with the extra buttons?) but the price on this one is getting to the point of being silly for the features and value it provides. SCDorman, just get one. if your SO gives you a hard time, go for a ride. :D

kbasa - will the unit hold a 2GB card? i'd love to just load the whole country and then forget about data transfers. i'm looking for a way to take a long trip without a laptop or a destination. just leave the house, and ride west.

You're right. I've got the BMW NavII (which some dealership in Pomona is blowing out for ~$795 right now). It comes with the mounts for your bike and the cradle with the extra In/Out/Escape/Exit buttons. It's pretty handy. You're riding along and want to zoom in, you just hit the button.

The BEEG Leest said:
Brown Motor Works in Pomona selling out Navigator II for $795--as of 1400CDT
had four units left: RTx1, LTx1 and K12Sx2. This unit has been replaced by
the Nav II Plus; the main difference being a 2GIG card instead of a 512MB. I
supposedly got the last one for a GT.

It will hold any Compact Flash card you care to stuff in there, so it'll hold a 2GB. I'm going to round up a 2GB and put the whole country on there and be done with it, though it's low on my list of stuff I need to do any time soon.

Oh, you're going to love the 2610! I got the 2 mb card and loaded the whole mapset in. I use it in the car, the motorhome and the CL. It's such fun to go exploring on the bike and know you can just punch in "take me home" and it will do just that. Congrats on the purchase at a great price.

:clap :drink :clap

That is a great price for the 2610!!!! Throw a 2g card in there and forget about ever loading anything again. I just returned from NS and used the auto routing feature a loat and it worked great. For the price you have a great new toy...GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I also ordered Garmin's motorcycle mount. Am I going to use this or regret it and replace with a RAM or similar?

I am ridiculously stoked for this toy.

SCDorman said:
Fine. In. Done. Purchased. If I get in trouble I'm coming to Austin and making you buy me beer at The Ginger Man. Is it still there?

you rule.

when you get your unit, hook it up. the gingerman is still there. select it and pick "route." give me a couple of days notice, and you're on! :D

It's awesome toy

I bought mine at $629, then price dropped to 609, then to 579. Amazon gave me credit for the difference. Bought it couple of days before heading to Lima, for the Beemerville rally. :thumb

For the mounts, I used TechMount. It's chrome, so goes nice with my chrome package of R1200C Montauk. Also I bought from Amazon, the Motorcycle Kit to connect the unit to the mount and wire it to the fuse box. I used earbuds to listen to prompts, thus you don't have to look at it much, just wait to hear prompts to guide you.

UPDATES

BTW, your units will be shipped with North America Navigator maps version 6.0. However, since Garmin released v7.0, you can simply order the new DVD and then get code from Garmin tech support for FREE. You would also want to upgrade your MapSouce software to v6.7, and the unit's software to v4.3.

Montauk said:
BTW, your units will be shipped with North America Navigator maps version 6.0. However, since Garmin released v7.0, you can simply order the new DVD and then get code from Garmin tech support for FREE. You would also want to upgrade your MapSouce software to v6.7, and the unit's software to v4.3.

you also rule! thanks for the fantastic tip!

motorcycle mounting kit arrived this morning. unit is due here thursday. i shouldve paid the shipping, waiting the time it took for the free super saver shipping is excruciating! i should have it on the bike by the weekend though. woohoo!

Congrats - you will enjoy it. you will need mounting hardware and a power supply now, depeding on your requirements.

update: wiring and ram mount are installed.

now i'm just sitting and waiting for the actual GPS to arrive.

gps_01.jpg

gps_04.jpg

I paid the extra shipping and got mine last Friday. It rocks! Plus, mine was shipped with Navigator v.7. Unfortunately, I am stuck in NY all this week at a training class so I haven't been able to play. I ordered a universal mount from GadgetGuy which should be waiting for me when I get home Fri night.

Last edited:
the GPS arrived while the forums were down, so that mitigated the effects. pics later today of it on the bike. i did a shakedown ride with it this weekend, and dizam, it is amazingly wonderful to use. i like it a *lot* and it gives me a hankering to go someplace where i don't know where i am as soon as possible. (physically of course. metaphysically i'm always lost, but they have no good GPS for that!)

KBasa said:
It's a pretty sweet unit, mang. You're gonna dig it. I've got a 1GB card in mine and have half of the country, at street level detail, stored on it.

The autorouting makes it fun to explore new roads. Set a destination, ride down the road, see an interesting road and head down the new road. The GPS will figure out how to get you home from there.

Wicked hella good fun.

Do you know the total number of maps it will hold? Not like I will ever
need 1/2 the country at any one time :D

ian

Back