• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Broken side bag latch

pkers10

As I was ridin' home from work, I heard a loud thud behind me. Looked in my mirror & my side bag fell off. After further inspection, the bracket on the side of the bag that locks it to the rack has broken off. Does anyone know if there's a repair for this or do I have to search for a new bag?

Thanks,

What model of bike do you have? Probably would help for a response if the correct type of bag were known......

May not have helped this situation but are you aware of the fairly common "safety pin clip" to prevent losing that style bag? It is shown on the 1150.org website for certain. Are you saying the plastic molded on hanger broke off the back of bag? The clips are found @ Home Depot in hardware drawers for ~50 cents each & require a strategically drilled 1/16" hole in aluminum & plastic of bag hanger area. A fix that works!

Thanks Kantuckid,

I was not aware of the "safety pin clip", but will definitely check it out as well as the 1150.org website. On my bags, there's a locking mechanism when you put the bag handle down. It's the locking piece that broke off. I can still put the bag on the bike, but fear it fallin' off if I hit a bump.

Thanks again

So I purchased the safety pin clips, but the genius that I am not, can't figure out where to drill the holes to put them in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Typically, the bag has a u-shaped fitting, that fits over a single protrusion from the bike's frame. Drill sidways through the fitting and the protrusion, so that the safety pin prevents the u-fitting from sliding off the protrusion.

This may not be your model, but it should give you the idea:

images.jpg

Here, the view is down and towards the back of the bike; the saddlebag is top left. The single protrusion on the frame is covered with a black plastic shield; the saddlebag's u-shaped fitting is aimed down and forward, and goes around the frame's protrusion. The pin goes through sideways.

You guys are awesome as the side bag is locked in. Thanks for the help. I thougth I was going to dish out alot of money for a new bag.

Back