• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How long can oil stay in the bike?

barry5k

In the last ten months I have only ridden my 07 RT about 3,000 miles. I use full synthetic. I am just wondering if I should change it or wait until the next service. How long should you keep the oil in your bike before changing it if you haven't ridden much lately??

I think this depends upon where you are at as much as how many miles on it. Back here with our temperature swings it needs to be changed more often simply due to the moisture condensing in the motor during those swings. That said, I still would change it at least once a year no matter where I was at. A few years ago I was driving BMW cars, and mine did not get many miles on it each year, but the dealer still insisted on changing the oil once a year (they were paying for it under the BMW new car service program). Hope this helps.

Wayne

The factory service schedule calls for at least annually but is extremely conservative.

The reality is that modern oils, especially true synthetics, do an exceptionally good job at neutralizing combustion acids and are equally good at handling typical amounts of moisture.

The only circumstance in which I ever saw an oil being clearly overloaded with water vapor was on a rotary engine race car running massive boost. Between the high rev/high temp/extreme shear created and the ambient humidity, some bits of oil showing characteristic milkiness from water accumulated around various motor vents and line.

In the real world, you can leave your bike for a couple years or even more without acquiring engine damage. Worry less..

09 R1200GS. I change my oil every 3000 miles and/ or in the fall when I store my bike for the winter. An oil change is cheap insurance and the best thing you can do for your motor. YMMV.

At 10 months, there's no rush to change the oil, but I would change it at least every year. I usually go 6 or 7 thousand miles with synth, and at least once a year. That's easy to do.

09 R1200GS. I change my oil every 3000 miles and/ or in the fall when I store my bike for the winter. An oil change is cheap insurance and the best thing you can do for your motor. YMMV.

3K mile change is a TOTAL waste of resources- time, money and oil.

40 years ago with an airhead this probably made some sense. With a modern bike and modern oils, it makes none.

I think the answer depends on how the 3,000 miles were put on the bike. If it was short trips, you will have moisture in the oil because the oil did not get hot enough long enough to evaporate the moisture out of the oil and I would change it annually. If it was mostly longer trips, the oil should be moisture free and the time is not as much of an issue and I wouldn't worry about it.

In the last ten months I have only ridden my 07 RT about 3,000 miles. I use full synthetic. I am just wondering if I should change it or wait until the next service. How long should you keep the oil in your bike before changing it if you haven't ridden much lately??

if the motor was put away hot....like after a 50+ mile ride i would not worry about it....and i would only change the oil about every 6000 mile or so.....BUT, if the motor was put away cold....like a warm up in the garage or very short rides, i would change it before letting it sit for too long....moisture (turns to acids) from not cold/short runs will ruin the motor if not evaporated out of the oil...

wyman

It is all good

I bought a bike on ebay that was in Atlanta, K100RS. .I hitched a ride to get it. Inflated the old cracked tires, put a new battery in it and rode it home to Wilmington, NC. I did a complete service after I got home. No damage.

Sitting

I bought a bike on ebay that was in Atlanta, K100RS. .I hitched a ride to get it. Inflated the old cracked tires, put a new battery in it and rode it home to Wilmington, NC. I did a complete service after I got home. No damage.

sorry, it had been sitting for 3 years with old fluids in it.

Oil change.

I totally agree, all my vehicles with synthetic and mineral oil get the change at every 3K miles, (the ONLY exception I make is if I travel from coast to coast - then I change it at 6K).
Some people say that this is a waste, what waste?
Used oil is recycled and reused.

Living on the edge! :laugh:laugh:laugh

I totally agree, all my vehicles with synthetic and mineral oil get the change at every 3K miles, (the ONLY exception I make is if I travel from coast to coast - then I change it at 6K).
Some people say that this is a waste, what waste?
Used oil is recycled and reused.

What waste, $$ for sure. When Mobile 1 first hit the market in the 70's they recommended 25K oil changes. They were probably correct, but the claim seemed so outrageous at the time they lost credibility.

I change mine every 6-8K, but in reality that is probably too often. I retired several Saab turbos that were modded to push 150-200% of stock boost (300Hp and 280-300 ft lbs Torque out of a 2 liter) at over 300k Miles, motors were still good, but rust killed the cars. BTW I changed the oil about every 15k, even with the turbo glowing red frequently.

Look at your owners manual or maintenance manual. BMW recommends an oil change at each 6,000 mile minor service and again at each 12,000 mile major service. That is a 6,000 mile interval for normal service. Last I looked they also recommend at least once a year. For "severe service" which is winter cold weather riding, short trips where the engine seldom or never gets fully warmed up, or for extremely dusty conditions they recommend that the 6,000 mile interval be cut in half.

Those recommendations are based on the specified oil which is (except for the very latest models) API SG or SH rated oil (dino or synthetic - they don't say which) in viscosities based on a chart which almost always indicates 20w50 or 10w40 depending on temperature.

I just summarized the recommendations/specifications for about 20 different models spread over 40 or so years, so for your specific bike - look it up.

That said, changing at 3,000 miles is twice as often as BMW says is needed unless your use of the bike constitutes "severe service" as defined by BMW.

What is "severe service"?

Look at your owners manual or maintenance manual. BMW recommends an oil change at each 6,000 mile minor service and again at each 12,000 mile major service. That is a 6,000 mile interval for normal service. Last I looked they also recommend at least once a year. For "severe service" which is winter cold weather riding, short trips where the engine seldom or never gets fully warmed up, or for extremely dusty conditions they recommend that the 6,000 mile interval be cut in half.

Those recommendations are based on the specified oil which is (except for the very latest models) API SG or SH rated oil (dino or synthetic - they don't say which) in viscosities based on a chart which almost always indicates 20w50 or 10w40 depending on temperature.

I just summarized the recommendations/specifications for about 20 different models spread over 40 or so years, so for your specific bike - look it up.

That said, changing at 3,000 miles is twice as often as BMW says is needed unless your use of the bike constitutes "severe service" as defined by BMW.

Good answer:

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/Councils/Filter-Manufacturers-Council/TSBs-2/English/94-1R1.pdf

Back