• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wow, what's that smell??

jscottbrauer

Went for my maiden cruise the other day and stopped for gas, no smell, stopped for a break with a friend because his hands were cold (should have heated grips) and my bike smelled like burning rubber. ????? Not extremely strong and not for a long time. The bike cooled down and the smell evaporated quickly. Anyone else experienced this. It wasn't my boots, I don't think it was the chaps either.

Puzzled

2010 RT

Smell

It could be your clutch. Were you doing any riding on hills where you had to start off, uphill from a stop sign, while making a left hand turn and perhaps slipped the clutch a little?

It happened to me on my R1200RT. Not so much a problem with the R1200R, since it is 92 lbs. lighter.

Bill

We're all guessing, so my guess is a drop or two of oil got on the hot exhaust system. Look for dark/burned spots on the catalytic converter under the transmission.

Was it your bike?
I know I have come across dozens of smells. Only to discover they were from some other source.
And dozens of noises, to discover the same.
For instance, riding along, and I hear this horrible scraping and grinding sound. Only to realize some old geezer in a 'vintage' Buick has come up beside me, trying to keep up.
Frequently a truck will lock a wheel when braking, and I can smell burning rubber.
One time, I could not escape the smell. More like burning plastic. Only to discover the fan shroud on my 800 had dropped onto the exhaust.
dc
Oh, and don't forget. Riding by some of the farms.
But on the other hand, riding by some of the orange groves during blossom time. Aah.

Is your friend a regular bather?

Rubber you say? Maybe an errant piece of tire rubber picked-up from the road is/was lodged against something hot. If it does not repeat itself then no worries.

How's that for SWAG?

And I notice a rubber smell the ride after I've ridden in the rain. I just figure it is road crude burning off of the exhaust.

My ST never had an oil smell and after the last oil change I did, I smell faint oil burning all the time when riding. I triple checked everything for correct torque settings and it's been going on for more then a few rides. I even crawled under and cleaned the whole bottom of the motor with a degreaser and water so it's like brand new, and still a faint smell. Has me stumped.

It could be your clutch. Were you doing any riding on hills where you had to start off, uphill from a stop sign, while making a left hand turn and perhaps slipped the clutch a little?

It happened to me on my R1200RT. Not so much a problem with the R1200R, since it is 92 lbs. lighter.

Bill

Hey Bill,

I think I just slipped the clutch. My new to me 2010 rides great but I am still getting used to it. Compared to my previous bike 2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300, the RT is truly a dream to ride. Got to get used to the clutch. You barely pull the lever back and it is disengaged. My Yamaha wasn't quite so easy so I found myself on a couple of occasions rolling on the throttle and not engaging the clutch as of yet. That was learned very quickly.

Smell - Clutch

JScott,

I have owned three BMW bikes and they all have tall first gears, compared to other bikes. This tall gearting could cause you to slip the clutch. You learn to give it more throtlle in first gear, when starting off to compensate for the tall first gear, at least that's what I do.

Bill

Back