• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200 GS to 1600 GT?

bmrrdr

So, ami nuts? Was wondering if anyone has installed a strong bilt backrest luggage rack. Wife is gonna ride a lot with me...it has the armrests. Thought she might like those..

Last edited:
I haven't but they have armrests on the newer k1600gtl's that I believe can be fit to the gt - look pretty stout the ones I've seen in dealership. Fwiw

Yes I know. They are 30 large!!! I haven't done it yet I'm still on the GS.. Thinking about trading.. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

Are you nuts? Aren't we all?

I've been on my K1600GT now for over 2 years and 18,000 miles. I get out in the hillbilly twisties of West Virginia and have taken it from Annapolis to Glacier on a lap around the lower 48. I'm loving this bike more today than I ever have and here's why - I've spent the last month riding the snot out of my new S1000RR and haven't ridden the GT in over a month. After putting about 800 miles on the RR in the last month, I got back on the GT yesterday to ride some of my favorite local roads and it was like reuniting with an old flame. It made me realize all over again how amazingly sporty capable the K1600GT is while being supremely comfortable. I'm so happy right now that I didn't trade my GT for a K1300S and decided to keep it. For something this big and comfortable to handle as good as it does on a twisty road and pull as hard as it does with that musical 6 cylinder sound track is nothing less than magical.

I've had it in the back of my mind for the last couple of years that the bike I should have bought was the KS and if I could have only one bike that would probably be the right choice. I thought really hard about it and walked in to the dealer at least twice thinking I might swap the GT for an anniversary K1300S but I finally decided that the KS wouldn't be enough different than the GT to scratch my sport bike itch. I still can't believe that I actually have that RR sitting out in the garage but my GT isn't going anywhere and I went ahead and extended the warranty on it for another 3 years.

Put the ESA II in Sport mode and preload it for your weight and you're going to surprise some full on sport bike riders with how hard it'll be to chase you down in the twisties and how easy it is to ride it at a spirited pace. Put the ESA II in comfort mode and glide through 1,000 mile days on what can only be described as a terrain hugging missile. I don't have any experience on a GS but if any of that that I just wrote resonates with you then I'd seriously consider staying away from any test rides until you're ready to make the swap. Or better yet, keep the GS and get the GT. A lot of the guys on the K1600 forum did exactly that when the new WC GS came out.

Thanks for the input.. I bought one on friday. Am now selling the GS or i will trade it
Are you nuts? Aren't we all?

I've been on my K1600GT now for over 2 years and 18,000 miles. I get out in the hillbilly twisties of West Virginia and have taken it from Annapolis to Glacier on a lap around the lower 48. I'm loving this bike more today than I ever have and here's why - I've spent the last month riding the snot out of my new S1000RR and haven't ridden the GT in over a month. After putting about 800 miles on the RR in the last month, I got back on the GT yesterday to ride some of my favorite local roads and it was like reuniting with an old flame. It made me realize all over again how amazingly sporty capable the K1600GT is while being supremely comfortable. I'm so happy right now that I didn't trade my GT for a K1300S and decided to keep it. For something this big and comfortable to handle as good as it does on a twisty road and pull as hard as it does with that musical 6 cylinder sound track is nothing less than magical.

I've had it in the back of my mind for the last couple of years that the bike I should have bought was the KS and if I could have only one bike that would probably be the right choice. I thought really hard about it and walked in to the dealer at least twice thinking I might swap the GT for an anniversary K1300S but I finally decided that the KS wouldn't be enough different than the GT to scratch my sport bike itch. I still can't believe that I actually have that RR sitting out in the garage but my GT isn't going anywhere and I went ahead and extended the warranty on it for another 3 years.

Put the ESA II in Sport mode and preload it for your weight and you're going to surprise some full on sport bike riders with how hard it'll be to chase you down in the twisties and how easy it is to ride it at a spirited pace. Put the ESA II in comfort mode and glide through 1,000 mile days on what can only be described as a terrain hugging missile. I don't have any experience on a GS but if any of that that I just wrote resonates with you then I'd seriously consider staying away from any test rides until you're ready to make the swap. Or better yet, keep the GS and get the GT. A lot of the guys on the K1600 forum did exactly that when the new WC GS came out.

Back