• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The GS Giant 2014 - It's kind of a BIG deal!

I will be going to the rally from NYC, and would have done the trek to St Paul alone and by pavement .. which after reading this thread my plan seems utterly boring.

My original plan would have passed sault ste marie and I was wondering if there is a group I can join from here? I have not been on gravel on ages, so I might be a bit rusty.

brinkja, I live by Albany, NY so chances you might be passing by me to head up North. I will take two days taking the scenic was to Sault Ste Marie to meet the Giants, if you want to join me, you are welcome to it
Neil

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply, but this is how it works. People just hooking up for a ride :D

Claude Gagne of Ontario, The 2013 GS Giant, has volunteered to help facilitate the ride... and I will ping him off-line to check in on this thread. He is one helluva rider and a good leader.

Brinkja... I don't know if you've made your plans yet, but here's a suggestion for a nice ride to the Sault. Check out the Bruce Peninsula National Park in Tobermory, Ontario, Canada. You could get there from NYC in a day.

Get up early and take the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry over to Manatoulin Island.

This would be a nice Saturday/Sunday ride that would put you at the start of the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour right on time.

Now, where this start will be is still TBD, I am going to work with Claude and some local Michiganders to figure that out.

STAY TUNED!!!

Ian

The crowd coming from Medora will have morning coffee, as long as we can find power. I'll haul the big pot and timer all the way to our Rally camping spot for the GIANTS.
Ian, can we have power at the Rally camping area?
Anyone with a favorite coffee roaster, bring along a pound.

Bring coffee mugs!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply, but this is how it works. People just hooking up for a ride :D

Claude Gagne of Ontario, The 2013 GS Giant, has volunteered to help facilitate the ride... and I will ping him off-line to check in on this thread. He is one helluva rider and a good leader.

Brinkja... I don't know if you've made your plans yet, but here's a suggestion for a nice ride to the Sault. Check out the Bruce Peninsula National Park in Tobermory, Ontario, Canada. You could get there from NYC in a day.

This would be a nice Saturday/Sunday ride that would put you at the start of the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour right on time.

Now, where this start will be is still TBD, I am going to work with Claude and some local Michiganders to figure that out.

STAY TUNED!!!

Ian

This is great, thanks Visian. One of the plans I have prepared is riding from Albany, NY to Wasaga beach area to camp then head up to take the ferry
or take Rte 69 around the bay without the ferry. Looking forward to the ride

Sault Ste Marie meeting place on Sunday SUGGESTION

STAY TUNED!!!

Ian

Here are two possible option
a Mi state Park, Brimley State Park, near Sault Marie
Mi state parks are very much Family orientated, and usually
strict on quiet hours and such

a little south is a State Forest which is much more causal , and I would recommend the latter
Munuscong River State Forest

Check the Mi DNR web sites for more info.

Hope this helps, someone let of know the meeting place

Thanks
Jim Mack
Riding out of Detroit area, to Mancelona Mi Saturday night before meet up if any need a place to camp
Friday/Saturday before meet up on Sunday
Jmack09@yahoo.com

DNR Banner
Michigan.gov Home DNR Home | Links | Site Map | Contact DNR

[Munuscong River State Forest Campground]
Brimley State Park
Phone Number: (906) 248-3422
Entrance Fee: $.00
Recreation Passport Required: Yes

Camping Fee: $13.00

Location Map/Directions

[Line Break]
[Available Activities] [Available Facilities]
[Fishing] Fishing [Hiking] Hiking
[Mountain Biking] Mountain Biking [Off-Road Vehicle Trails/Routes] Off-Road Vehicle Trails/Routes
[Watchable Wildlife] Watchable Wildlife

[Boat Launch] Boat Launch [Rustic Site] Rustic Site
Click Here for Activity, Facility and Accessibility Details
[Line Break]
[List of trails in this campground]
No Trails Identified

[Photo of Munuscong River State Forest Campground]
[Description of Park]
Phone number indicated above is for the Management Unit. Sites available on a first-come, first-serve basis. No reservations. 26 sites for tent and small trailer use, most of which can accommodate 40-ft vehicle/trailer. Rustic campground includes vault toilets and potable water from well hand pump.

Michigan.gov Home | DNR Home | Report All Poaching 1-800-292-7800 | Site Map | Contact DNR | State Web Sites
Privacy Policy | Link Policy | Accessibility Policy | Security Policy
Copyright ? 2001-2014 State of Michigan

Last edited:
Here are two possible option
a Mi state Park, Brimley State Park, near Sault Marie
Mi state parks are very much Family orientated, and usually
strict on quiet hours and such

a little south is a State Forest which is much more causal , and I would recommend the latter
Munuscong River State Forest

Mack - this helps a ton. I'll check em out over the weekend.

Thanks!

Plans

...it was like herding kittens. I usually post more info earlier, but the day job has gotten in the way.

We'll be sending e-mails soon to everyone who's registered and putting info up here for those who haven't, and then everyone can make their own plans.

If you make a reservation at Pikes Peak Park, or even if you just show up, you will definitely meet some new friends to ride with.

The route to the party at the end of the ride avoids the sand at the north end of the TWAT but there will probably be Sandy sections along the way. Don't worry, you won't break your bike and you'll have friends to help you pick it up! :ha Bring your GPS and ride around the parts that are over your head.

Don't worry, you'll have a great time. :nod

Thank you Visian. I've made reservations at Pike's Peak and St. Croix - see you there. Any chance some more info will be posted regarding where the TWAT ride will end up Monday night? I'd like to line something for that night as well - July is high season in WI.

Also, if anyone wants to join me on my way to PP - just drop me a note.

Any chance some more info will be posted regarding where the TWAT ride will end up Monday night?

I'll be posting up a more comprehensive listing later today, but the Monday night stop on the TWAT will be at the Black River Lodge.

Keep in mind that not everyone on the ride does the same thing... some like more primitive backwoods stuff, etc. But I spoke with the owner of this facility and it sounds like it offers good options for tent and cabin campers.

They don't specifically sell tent space, but the owner said he would welcome our tent campers. You can probably get a shower in their ATV wash! :ha

Ian

This is great, thanks Visian. One of the plans I have prepared is riding from Albany, NY to Wasaga beach area to camp then head up to take the ferry
or take Rte 69 around the bay without the ferry. Looking forward to the ride

I will be joining Neil from Albany and make our way from there via the Bruce Peninsula National Park (thanks Visian) .. cant wait for my first GS Giants outing.

Johan

:ha

ok, now I can't call you pansy any more.

oh wait... you called yourself pansy! :rofl

Looking forward to seeing you again, Sharon!

2012 F650GS yellow.jpg

And I'm probably not bringing my new pansy-a** bike! We just got it a week ago, used with 300 miles on it. I haven't even had it over on its side yet.

I am bringing a support truck with lots of stuff including my son. Maybe bring the Yamaha 225 dirt bike??

MEDORA, NORTH DAKOTA; More news.

Medora is a favorite destination town in ND and offers a wide array of options for your pleasure overnighting there. MY GSGIANT base will be the "Medora Campground" and its easily researched on line at Medora, ND entry at GOOGLE or your favorite search engine. The MEDORA MUSICAL ive been reading up on has APPEAL and is quite a show if you were interested. Starts 7:30pm every night in town at the open air theatre. This is a small town, so you wont have any issues finding your way. 35$ gets you a seat and apparently they are available by reserves or on site when you arrive. Sunday night, July20 is our only night there, so enjoy. Many more options exist for overnighting in MEDORA, if you want to spend some bucks:). Dinner packages, that include lodging, etc. are available. Spend as you wish. I'm camping along the Little Missouri River at the above campground. All this is within close proximity to everything Medora:). I like to see GS/GSAs lining the streets the night of July20:). PLEASE visit the websites available all about this neat town and its surroundings, plenty of pics. Its definitely a place you wanna stay more than a day, BUT we move on for our MOA Rally the very next day. Happy Trails all, Randy"Polarbear"Owens

Medora and Me;

I will be a road warrior and GSA dirt thrower very soon now and if you need any help or questions arise about my travels and MEDORA, N.D., GSGIANT activities? I am at; 559-288-2555c or gsarbear@gmail.com , Please shout out and I do my best making contact. "Polarbear", PS; Im on a '07GSA, red and white one that looks the part of far from home and off the beaten paths:).

International Falls meetup

As long as work doesn't get in the way, I planned to meet in International Falls. I see the schedule is for Sunday but not sure the plan. Meet Sunday night and leave Monday morning or leave Sunday morning.

As long as work doesn't get in the way, I planned to meet in International Falls. I see the schedule is for Sunday but not sure the plan. Meet Sunday night and leave Monday morning or leave Sunday morning.

Meetup on Sunday night, depart on Monday.

Back