• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Giant 2014 - It's kind of a BIG deal!

Hi all; I am just starting out on this GS type riding and have a few questions about this Gypsy Tour. Do we ride as a group and if so where will we meet on the International Falls start point. Are campsites already picked out for us, is there places to get food, etc, on the trail? Is a GPS absolutely required (new to that as well)? What kinds of things should I bring, besides the sleeping, tenting, clothing items? I would appreciate having some previous tour rider give me a rundown on how the whole thing works. Thanks very much.:bow

Welcome.

1. All rides can be ridden group or alone, your preference. Hopefully some riders will respond and give you an invite to ride with them from International Falls.

2. Campsites are not already picked out for each nite on the road, there are a number of camping and motel options associated with each route, as well as fuel stops, ect.

3. GPS is not required but strongly suggested if not traveling with a group. However a good gazetteer of the area to be traveled works just as well.

4. Bring what you are comfortable with, that is important, if you don't use it or wear it at home, don't buy it, you don't need it.

I don't know what you ride, but carry tools that came with bike and toss in a few extras you think you may need. A good tire/tube repair kit. Duct tape and a few cable ties in different sizes ( things break ). Above all know how to repair the small stuff and most important, practice ( at home ) removing wheel and removing tire and tube for repair.

5. As far as how the Gypsy Tour works, the beginning of this thread gives a rundown on this years event. What you can expect is camaraderie, laughs , great riding experience......... Above all you will learn a bunch by asking fellow riders for tips and taking off road training at rally. I owe a lot to fellow riders who have helped me out.

So, be ready for some fun and I'll see you there.

Rick

Are you considering the Superior's North Shore route for The GS Giant's Gypsy Tour?

Well then, I have it on good account that The Grand Marais Campground and Marina is an excellent place to camp for the night.

Of course, since this is the all-paved option for the Tour, hotels are also readily available. :ha

Grand Marais Campground is GREAT!! Our local club has a campout in the CG and rents the overflow area....inexpensive option if you can plan ahead and have a group... You can set up your tent, and take a leisurely (short) walk into town....to the infamous Sven and Ole's http://www.svenandoles.com/

or a more "upscale" Angry Trout..http://www.angrytroutcafe.com/ (Great fish and chips) and all local-organic offerings

Further north is the unique Naniboujou Lodge http://www.naniboujou.com/
Built in the '20's as a charter club with members such as Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey and Ring Lardner. The Lodge boasts Minnesota's largest native rock fireplace, a 200 ton work of art which stands in the 30 x 80 foot Great Hall (now the dining room)...

FWIW the hotels in the Grand Marais area will be "pricey", and some of them require a minimum of 2 nights.

Questions

Thanks for the info and will we be getting more info as the date becomes closer? Such as the a meeting starting place in International Falls. Do we start from International Falls on the 20th or just meet there then? Anything else you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks.:thumb

Thanks for the info and will we be getting more info as the date becomes closer? Such as the a meeting starting place in International Falls. Do we start from International Falls on the 20th or just meet there then? Anything else you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks.:thumb

Stay tuned to this thread. If you are on Facebook, the GS Giants group is a good place to hang out. And there is always the GS Giants web site.

There are not a ton of meeting places in International Falls, but we haven't picked out out yet.

The meet up will be on Sunday, July 20th in the late afternoon. Everyone usually brings some food and drink, or goes out somewhere. The idea is to get to know each other and make riding plans.

As Rick says above, things are very informal... it just sorta happens. :D

From International Falls, it's a 2-day ride to the final destination, a nice campground in the St. Croix State Forest. This is where all 4 (now looking like 5) rides will meet up.

All info will be published with plenty of time to make arrangements.

Glad you're coming. The GS Giant event is all about getting newer riders like yourself in contact with more experienced riders so that you can learn, make new friends, and sharpen your riding and adventuring skills!

Ian

Michigan giants

Giants,
I plan to ride from Mancelona, mi on a small dual sport DRZ 400
Camping and riding as many back roads as I can find , enroute
to Rally. Looking for anyone who has the time and desire to ride/camp.

As I look at map, International Falls , seems a bit north of ride to rally, but I am
open to suggestions on how to meet up with the group.

I would like to ride the mid-section of the UP to meet up with the group in
St Croix Forest.

I have property for a staging/camping area in Mancelona mi, with
some good riding in this area.

Open to Suggestions

Feel me to email me at Jmack09@yahoo.com

Thanks
Jim M

PS
This may be a good spot to camp in ST Croix Forest
Called 320 384 6591 DNR and they said little use during week
They said motorcycles are allowed, can double up on campsites

Boulder Campground and Day-Use Area
Directions
map
From Hinckley take State Hwy. 48 (E) from I-35 23 mi. to Pine Co. 173; turn left (N) 5 mi. to Tamarack Forest Rd.; follow forest road approx. 5 mi.

Contact
Phone: 320-384-6591
Managed by: St. Croix State Park
photo: Boulder Campground and Day-Use Area
Fees: Fee information
Individual site $14

Approved Firewood Vendors

Description: Boulder Campground and Day-Use Area is adjacent to Rock Lake Public Landing. The campsites are considered primitive, designed to furnish only the basic needs of the camper. The campsites consist of a cleared area, fire ring, and table. Vault toilets, garbage cans, and drinking water are available. The day-use area features six picnic sites.

All sites are on a first-come, first-served basis for a fee.

Highlights: Boulder Campground and Day-Use Area offers a great alternative to the more developed and heavily used St. Croix State Park.

Outdoors recreation is bountiful. Fun stuff you can do here includes hiking the nature trails, fishing, and swimming. You won't run out of fun.
Boulder Campground and Day-Use Area
Directions
map
From Hinckley take State Hwy. 48 (E) from I-35 23 mi. to Pine Co. 173; turn left (N) 5 mi. to Tamarack Forest Rd.; follow forest road approx. 5 mi.

Contact
Phone: 320-384-6591
Managed by: St. Croix State Park
photo:

Mancelona, to Sault Ste Marie, MI 140 road miles
Sault Ste Marie to Rhinelander , Wi: 316 Road miles
Rhinelander, Wi to Hinckley, Mn (near St Croix) 220 road miles

Last edited:
Camping at the MOA International Rally?

I have not seen any information posted on the camping situation at the MOA in St Paul, anyone have an update to post???:scratch

I have not seen any information posted on the camping situation at the MOA in St Paul, anyone have an update to post???:scratch

There is plenty of camping on site. Grass and shade....not sure if the Giants are camping with Charter Clubs or not...

WI Gravel Ride North to the MOA

My Plan for the ride to the MOA

The route for Clay Anderson?s GS Giant Gypsy Tour. Cards for the Giants poker run will be given at the beginning and end of The cheese trail and any Giant that comes to each evenings campground will receive a card. It is all mapped out on Google no GPS route has been made. The route may change at anytime en route due to weather, closed road or trails and many other reasons. For the most part it will be to take the ATV trails to the rally in MN. There is nothing too hard about riding these ATV trails, just the endurance of putting your body and bike through the rough trails by rough I mean pot holes and braking bumps.

Here is the google map that has the route in mind but may change at anytime. Red line is the ATV route. Blue line is the road route that is most direct to and around the ATV route. Yellow is alternate ATV routes that may be taken.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z1jyDWAebCO8.kSlKZ_gun9ew

Meeting on the 20th of July in Monroe, WI at the
Blue Ox Restaurant the address is 702 8th St, Monroe, WI around 8:00am and get going after breakfast. We will ride to the start of the Tri county ATV Cheese Trail: a $15 annual pass is required to ride the trail and can be picked up from Lucky 7 gas station address is 710 21st street Monroe, WI 53566 or Kundert Oil 317 8th St, Monroe Wi 53566-

The ATV Cheese trail is 49 miles of gravel. Starting in Monroe, WI and ending in Mineral Point, WI. The map below is an Image of the PDF that can be downloaded here http://www.tricountytrails.com/detailed-trail.pdf. Will be stopping at Tony's Tap Bar & Grill for lunch in Mineral point, WI after the ATV trail ends. Leaving from Tony's Tap Bar & Grill will head to Chapparal Campground which is an hour and half ride north, the ride may take longer pending on how much time we want to sit in the saddle.
1521842_10203223144434924_480249052164590786_n.jpg

Sunday ( July 20th) night Camping on is at Chapparal Campground & Resort. This is just 17 miles from the interstate 90/94 at Wisconsin Dells, Wis.
Address: 316 Dreamland Dr. Wonewoc, WI 53968.
Phone: 608-464-3200

On the Monday July 21st we will be leaving from Chapparal Campground head north an hour and half to the start of Jackson and Clark County ATV trails. These trails are $20 and must be purchased prior to riding the trails. The pass can be bought at MILLSTON KWIK MART -W6575 CTY HWY O MILLSTON, WI 54643 Phone #715-284 2080 open 6am to 9pm.

The map below is an Image of the PDF that can be downloaded here of Jackson and Clark County ATV
http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/vertica...B00CC}/uploads/WICLARK_284_20100216_en(1).pdf

10270298_10203223227717006_2329263395502912278_n.jpg

Camping on the Monday July 21st will be at P-town Bar/Saloon "near" but not in Kathryn Lake Campground in Chequamegon National Forest. The Chequamegon National Forest trails have a pay box at the trail head: $5 per day pass or Annual Pass valid April 1 to March 31 of the following year: $20.00. website info here http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cnnf/passes-permits/recreation.

The map below is an Image of the PDF that can be downloaded here of Medford district
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5435710.pdf

10338568_10203128583967231_4857022762980914849_o.jpg

On Tuesday morning July 22nd we will head north to Flambeau River State Forest to ride the atv trails. There will be a trail pass cost here and we are still researching to find that information but we are thinking it may be a $5.00 day pass. Later in the day on Tuesday we will head on over to the GS Giants Party in the St Croix Forest at a location chosen by Ian Schmiser. GS Giants will receive another card for their poker hand at the party. Ian said that there are also ATV trails nearby in that area of MN.
10441376_10203128547646323_4519867228194326523_n.jpg

The last of the ATV trials to the MOA will be the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest
Great Divide district. Here is the link to the map below. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5435715.pdf
10333445_10203177429788346_5905403709353326398_o.jpg

At the top of this post you can look at the over all route that I will be taking in google maps.

We hope you will join us an this epic adventure. We have several jump on points each night at the campgrounds. The paper maps will also provide you with information so if you want to ride your own ride you know where to go. We will give a card for your poker hand-if at the GS Giants party if you provide us a picture of you at Chapparel Campground and/ or picture of you at the P-Town Saloon. See Clay or Lori to verify and get your card(s).

This route has not been road yet to confirm all roads are open!

NORTH Dakota:)

Ive already set in motion the GSGiant incoming group from MEDORA, ND. July20(Sunday) afternoon/overnight at Medora Campground...There is a website for that campground, easy to Google. Camping in shady, grassy, riverside sites with store on site. "Little Missouri River"is a National Scenic River..."Theodore Roosevelt NP" is at our doorstep next day early AM get started for Fargo area or into Minnesota, Lake Itasca region, night two. Fargo will be 340 miles and depending on how lost(adventuresome) we get crossing ND, we may want to stop there...I have sharing sites for night two to speak of, once youre in Medora:). Please join me if youre inclined and live in Western Canada or USA...All bikes welcome...No registration; you're responsible for camp fees and food you require. Full service campground has all the luxuries and the town is also with lodging, etc...Pick your medicine:). I camp, GSA1200 out of CA. My contact; 559-288-2555c or gsarbear@gmail.com THANKS...You are free to map your own route crossing ND into MN., OR welcome to join me crossing the less travelled byways, some dirt. We can discuss it over a pleasant evening in Medora, ND.....We will join up with GSGiant Base Camp the night before the rally in St.Paul. Randy"Polarbear"Owens

Issuing Cards?

WELL, I guess I'm not clear on issuing Cards for the game at hand??? Reading above, I see some are earning playing cards for showing up at camps every night, en route. Is my Medora, ND a Card gathering spot??? I be glad passing them out, if so:). I may have missed the Card Game rules and earning them, sorry if so... Enlighten me. Are the "Host"of each incoming group responsible for issuing cards?

Cards

All I know is, my traveling companions haven't been playing with a full deck for quite some time. :laugh

Canada:)

Ive been getting messages from GSGiants folks North of the Border, referencing Medora, ND GS Camp, JULY20 at the Medora Campground. Its happening and thanks for tips of State Parks North Dakota...Got it:). PLEASE join us in Medora, North Dakota, JULY20(Sunday) afternoon, evening. Monday we get started riding EAST and State Parks are very nice in that region of ND and MN.. Monday night will be one of them, most probable. Right now, Ft.Ransom SP, North Dakota and Buffalo SP in Minnesota are prime picks:). You wanna see, they both have websites with pics...and details. Showers, swimming, camping, canoeing. Nice parks indeed.

Confusion Reigns

My Plan for the ride to the MOA

The route for Clay Anderson?s GS Giant Gypsy Tour. Cards for the Giants poker run will be given at the beginning and end of The cheese trail and any Giant that comes to each evenings campground will receive a card. It is all mapped out on Google no GPS route has been made. The route may change at anytime en route due to weather, closed road or trails and many other reasons. For the most part it will be to take the ATV trails to the rally in MN. There is nothing too hard about riding these ATV trails, just the endurance of putting your body and bike through the rough trails by rough I mean pot holes and braking bumps.

Here is the google map that has the route in mind but may change at anytime. Red line is the ATV route. Blue line is the road route that is most direct to and around the ATV route. Yellow is alternate ATV routes that may be taken.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z1jyDWAebCO8.kSlKZ_gun9ew

Meeting on the 20th of July in Monroe, WI at the
Blue Ox Restaurant the address is 702 8th St, Monroe, WI around 8:00am and get going after breakfast. We will ride to the start of the Tri county ATV Cheese Trail: a $15 annual pass is required to ride the trail and can be picked up from Lucky 7 gas station address is 710 21st street Monroe, WI 53566 or Kundert Oil 317 8th St, Monroe Wi 53566-

The ATV Cheese trail is 49 miles of gravel. Starting in Monroe, WI and ending in Mineral Point, WI. The map below is an Image of the PDF that can be downloaded here http://www.tricountytrails.com/detailed-trail.pdf. Will be stopping at Tony's Tap Bar & Grill for lunch in Mineral point, WI after the ATV trail ends. Leaving from Tony's Tap Bar & Grill will head to Chapparal Campground which is an hour and half ride north, the ride may take longer pending on how much time we want to sit in the saddle.
1521842_10203223144434924_480249052164590786_n.jpg

Sunday ( July 20th) night Camping on is at Chapparal Campground & Resort. This is just 17 miles from the interstate 90/94 at Wisconsin Dells, Wis.
Address: 316 Dreamland Dr. Wonewoc, WI 53968.
Phone: 608-464-3200

On the Monday July 21st we will be leaving from Chapparal Campground head north an hour and half to the start of Jackson and Clark County ATV trails. These trails are $20 and must be purchased prior to riding the trails. The pass can be bought at MILLSTON KWIK MART -W6575 CTY HWY O MILLSTON, WI 54643 Phone #715-284 2080 open 6am to 9pm.

The map below is an Image of the PDF that can be downloaded here of Jackson and Clark County ATV
http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/vertica...B00CC}/uploads/WICLARK_284_20100216_en(1).pdf

10270298_10203223227717006_2329263395502912278_n.jpg

Camping on the Monday July 21st will be at P-town Bar/Saloon "near" but not in Kathryn Lake Campground in Chequamegon National Forest. The Chequamegon National Forest trails have a pay box at the trail head: $5 per day pass or Annual Pass valid April 1 to March 31 of the following year: $20.00. website info here http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cnnf/passes-permits/recreation.

The map below is an Image of the PDF that can be downloaded here of Medford district
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5435710.pdf

10338568_10203128583967231_4857022762980914849_o.jpg

On Tuesday morning July 22nd we will head north to Flambeau River State Forest to ride the atv trails. There will be a trail pass cost here and we are still researching to find that information but we are thinking it may be a $5.00 day pass. Later in the day on Tuesday we will head on over to the GS Giants Party in the St Croix Forest at a location chosen by Ian Schmiser. GS Giants will receive another card for their poker hand at the party. Ian said that there are also ATV trails nearby in that area of MN.
10441376_10203128547646323_4519867228194326523_n.jpg

The last of the ATV trials to the MOA will be the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest
Great Divide district. Here is the link to the map below. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5435715.pdf
10333445_10203177429788346_5905403709353326398_o.jpg

At the top of this post you can look at the over all route that I will be taking in google maps.

We hope you will join us an this epic adventure. We have several jump on points each night at the campgrounds. The paper maps will also provide you with information so if you want to ride your own ride you know where to go. We will give a card for your poker hand-if at the GS Giants party if you provide us a picture of you at Chapparel Campground and/ or picture of you at the P-Town Saloon. See Clay or Lori to verify and get your card(s).

This route has not been road yet to confirm all roads are open!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's just me. I'm confused. Is this one of the organized GS Giant rides, the one generally mentioned as traveling via the TWAT, that was mooted to begin near Galena, IL? Does it end up where the other (north, east, and west) rides meet in the St Croix State Forest on the 22nd? What gives?

Help.

Mike

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's just me. I'm confused. Is this one of the organized GS Giant rides, the one generally mentioned as traveling via the TWAT, that was mooted to begin near Galena, IL? Does it end up where the other (north, east, and west) rides meet in the St Croix State Forest on the 22nd? What gives?

Help.

Mike

Confused here also, guess we got to wait to hear from those in the know.

Clay's Way

The ride that Clayton posted is a "special test" Gypsy Tour. Experienced riders only.

It will end at the same place as the other tours, which has now been identified.

Google St. Croix Haven Campground, call and make your arrangements. Tell them you're with the BMW group and the cost is just $10. I'm working on a sponsor to get you some free beer and food.

Ian

It will end at the same place as the other tours, which has now been identified.

Google St. Croix Haven Campground, call and make your arrangements. Tell them you're with the BMW group and the cost is just $10.

Stupid n00b question: Is this for prior to the Wednesday meet up or do I have to contact them for Wednesday?

I'll be coming in with the ND group.

EDIT: Cranial vapour lock. I meant Tuesday meet up. My bad.

Last edited:
The ride that Clayton posted is a "special test" Gypsy Tour. Experienced riders only.

Google St. Croix Haven Campground, call and make your arrangements. Tell them you're with the BMW group and the cost is just $10. I'm working on a sponsor to get you some free beer and food.

Ian

Is the plan still to meet up Tuesday, stay over Wednesday night also, then head to Rally Thursday?

Help.

Mike

The TWAT is a great route through WI it is pretty laid back with wonderful views across WI. I have road sections of the TWAT but never the whole thing at once, Some day. When i thought about the Giants going to MN for the MOA I said to my self (I gotta do something big). The GS Giants go big from what I hear on the trail. Yes my route up will meet with the rest of the friendly Giants in St Croix. I Can't be certain will make it tuesday, if not will pull up with all :)'s and have a heck of a story. :clap I don't mean to scare anyone with this route. I just feel with the guys coming from the east, will and are going to have some great storys to tell, so I want this ride to be epic! Sorry west coast folks, your journey is a lot of saddle time, across the flats, I give you big props for making the travel. In the end this is all just adventure fun with great friends. :wave:hungover

Back