• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Internet Importance

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
How important is using the internet to you?

Is it merely an information gathering tool, or is it a social outlet?

Is it an adjunct to a full social life or a substitute for more traditional social interaction?

Healthy behavior or bordering on a compulsive unproductive activity?

Do you engage in argumentative behavior online; why; does it accomplish anything?

I worry sometimes. Canceled my Facebook account because I found it to be non-productive; having second thoughts about some other outlets I'm engaged in.

Maybe it's just winter.

Is it an adjunct to a full social life or a substitute for more traditional social interaction?

Do you engage in argumentative behavior online; why; does it accomplish anything?

I worry sometimes. Canceled my Facebook account because I found it to be non-productive; having second thoughts about some other outlets I'm engaged in.

Maybe it's just winter.

Too many questions for one post. 1. Occasionally get useful info from this site, the weather post, and other sites. 2. Always a fairly private person, I enjoy these internet interactions. 3. Not the un-healthiest things I do. 4. Don't think I am argumentative - but who does. 5. What is Facebook? 6. It's spring - even looking like it here. May not have time for these posts very shortly.

Maybe it's just winter.

I'm guilty. I'm all the above at one time or another. I too question the need or even desire to continue in most instances. It does keep me from watching more television, which can be good. Yes, Winter has played a part. Soon I'll be spending more time riding and at the pool...less stating and answering typically needless cyberspace thoughts and questions. I need to use it as I initially did...as an electronic library.

Maybe it's just winter.

1. Mostly info-gathering tool. Some interaction, such as this and other m/c forums (fora?).
2. I have as much real-life socialization as I can stand, don't need the internet for that.
3. Healthy, I think.
4. No arguments, when another poster disagrees with my opinion, I unplug and move on. Few things in life are worth are worth arguing over. Besides, they are just opinions and opinions are like anuses: we all have one and they all smell the same.
5. Never had a FaceBook account, I'm too aware of privacy and I enjoy eye-to-eye contact too much.

It's a shopping tool and news source. Relative to info, the available stuff is pretty much marketing hype, unless you have access to credible libraries and journals via business or professional associations.

Sadly, at times, I find myself thinking that.......then pull back.[/QUOTE]

It's wasted emotional energy.

Maybe it's just winter.

I think it's healthy to worry about how and what you are communicating. Especially on a medium that may have an infinite shelf life.

For me, it's about 90% info gathering tool, maybe 10% social outlet. I only socialize on forums, not a member of Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network.

It's definitely an adjunct to my current social life, and definitely NOT any kind of substitute.

Mostly healthy. I do find myself checking certain sites daily, but not in a way that interferes with work or home life.

I used to, at least a little bit, when I first started frequenting forums. It was hard not to jump on people that were PITA's. But, the reality is, I'm a pretty nice guy in real life, so why not be a pretty nice guy online as well? It's been my experience that arguing with ANYONE on the internet is never worthwhile. Never.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that most of Facebook is evil. I've never been a member. My youngest daughter dropped it. My wife is on it, but just to keep up with other family members.

Maybe it's just winter.

See above in BOLD.

Both my wife and I shop online. We email several times a day. Watch movies online.

I don't use Facebook or tweet

It's an addition to, not a replacement for.

In winter I spend too much time.

I try not to. I certainly disagree but that, IMO, doesn't mean argumentative.

My son cancelled his FB account for the same reasons. I don't post to FB. I have an account that is never used. Set up for me by my son.

Maybe it's just winter.

Possible snow here tonight in Denver. Winter will never end. :banghead

Answers in bold.

Maybe it's just winter.

You can tell it's not only winter but its been a long one as well, I'm willing to answer this.

1. I use the internet as a resource for shopping and resource for about everything on some level. Im facinated at the willingness of so many to share their knowledge and cleverness with the world, this IMHO is one of the best features of the internet is its ability to connect us.

2.It is my chosen form of social interaction. If my assumption of your definition of traditional interaction means participation in clubs, societies, personal or group activities with friends, then I've never been a traditionalist.

3. Nothing I do will be construed as healthy by most, however complusive and unproductive have been associated with my behavior.

4. Arugmenative, certainly not; I'm witty, charming, scintillating, vivacious, and good looking. Remember you asked.

5. If your facebooking, twittering, or other such, you will get no argument from me you have reason for worry and canceling your accounts and moving on will probably not impact you in a negative fashion.

For me, the Internet is a tool which makes it possible for me to enjoy the sport of motorcycle riding while still working part time in my retired and redirected years of life. Being over 62, I would never have thought the use of the net would be so important to me, but life changes, eh?

So, to answer the questions....
* How important is using the internet to you? I teach Supply Chain Management in both an on-line and campus based setting, which allows me to schedule rallies around my teaching schedule. I've had students as far away as Brazil and China in my on-line classes, so it's very important for me to stay connected.

* Is it merely and information gathering tool, or is it a social outlet? Both for me. I enjoy the banter in the forums, from the BMW, Honda, GS Giant and Kawasaki forums to Linked In and APICS business forums.

*Is it an adjunct to a full social life or a substitute for more traditional social interaction? For me it's and adjunct to a full social life, as I tend to interact with many of the local respondents to the forums that I follow. For example, Gateway BMW lists its events through Facebook, which I try to attend.

*Healthy behavior or bordering on a compulsive unproductive activity? Probably, as I could be out riding right now, but I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit.....

*Do you engage in argumentative behavior online; why; does it accomplish anything? Depending on the topic, I sometimes engage in a opposite position from an original post, if I think the topic is worth the effort. Not sure if it accomplishes anything with the exception that I feel that the only way for evil to triumph is for good men to keep silent.....Which, if the topic is important enough, requires me to establish a personal position.

* I worry sometimes. Canceled my Facebook account because I found it to be non-productive; having second thoughts about some other outlets I'm engaged in. I still have my Facebook account but mostly use it for information purposes from "Liked" threads that I wish to keep in touch with.

* Maybe it's just winter? Use the Internet all year around, and you'll find me at rally's plugged in, in the evenings working on a teaching site......

So, two thumbs up for the Internet, in my case......

1: It is a phenomenal information resource. Easier to find useful and useless information than the library and much broader than the BBS systems used before the Internet came into broad use.

2: Mostly information. The social aspect is pretty much limited to my blog and a couple of forums.

3: Definitely an adjunct. I've met many other moto-bloggers and at least one video-blogger. And many have become close friends. Less common with forum contacts.

4: I think healthy. I've been using the Internet for over 20 years.

5: No argumentative behavior. Blocking users works though there are rare argumentative users that contribute great content.

6: Facebook is evil and Google is getting there fast...

Very important, it's how I make my living. We create web sites and interactive media/applications.

Everyone in my company works from home and we are located all over creation. Thanks to the Internet we can work very closely together, all while wearing our pajamas.

It's also a great boon to an enterprise: marketing channel, customer self-service, product/service delivery system....

For me, it's part of life, where interaction flows seamlessly through on-line and meat space.

Thanks to the Internet, I've met people that I never would have otherwise.

It's essential. I'd have to find another line of business if it didn't exist.

Yes, and I've found that if I am reasonable and respectful, liberals learn that not all conservatives are a**holes. :ha (and vice-versa!!!)

Maybe it's just winter.

You should always worry. Virtual is not a substitute for real. I watch my grandson get impatient when his first touch of the iPad doesn't do something... and he starts poking it impatiently until it does. Worry not, though, his parents are both very active in Scouting.

And what a great thing Facetime (or Skype) is for seeing your grandson every day even though he lives 150+ miles away. Or fixing your mom's computer by operating it remotely (*way* better than saying "see that little bar on the right hand side of your browser? Good! Now, put your arrow on it, click and hold, and drag it down so that you can see what's on the rest of the page....) :)

Ian

And what a great thing Facetime (or Skype) is for seeing your grandson every day even though he lives 150+ miles away. Or fixing your mom's computer by operating it remotely (*way* better than saying "see that little bar on the right hand side of your browser? Good! Now, put your arrow on it, click and hold, and drag it down so that you can see what's on the rest of the page....) :)

Ian

:gerg:thumb

Back