• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Rubber For Old K11LT?

chrisabraham

I've put thousands of miles over this harsh-for-us DC winter and it's time for some new rubber. I want durable and all weather with the quality to handle some 110 mph riding (theoretical, wink). All weather means main ride: wind, rain. Probably need new rubber before winter so for every day, DC streets, long-ride highways, some Iron Butt (Boston, Bloomington, etc), and some twisters. What do you recommend? It's a 1995 K1100LT so pretty heavy, as am I, and sometimes two-up, sometimes with three full hard bags.
9u9abagu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your comment from experience with that tire?

Metzeler ME880 Marathon front and rear.

I'm just curious to find out how you made such a "matter of fact" comment and wondering if I am overlooking that tire. I have an R1100RT with PR3's and it turned it into a different animal than any of the other rubber I have used on that bike and will slam another pair on right away. I have a K1100RS that ran, when it was running, with PR2's but they are smoked and not in a good way so I need rubber for it. My K75S is running Metzeler's and 8,000 kms later, they are in very great shape.

I don't like the Metzeler for shedding water and it was the same way on my Airheads but other than that, quiet, nice in the corners and the life seems to be atrociously better than the Michelins.

Just need some opinions and then I can form my own, which sometimes isn't very good.

I care more about water, rain, & traction than a 10k life. But I don't plan to race (can you imagine?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Rubber

Last three rear 880's I had, had splits develope down inside the threads halfway thru their useful life. Last one before 3,000 mi. Talked to others who had the same problems. Bad batch ?
You don't expect Germans to admit mistakes do you? Ran them for many years. Now, no more Metzelers for me.
Charlie

I have PR3's on my '93LT and will not go back to the bias ply tires, I have never felt unstable in the wet or cold.
Jeff

1992 k1100lt, two up, packed with small uni-go trailer.

110/80 ZR 18 FRONT (PR2)
140/80 ZR 17 REAR (Avon Azaro AV 46-ST

the switch from bias ply to radial had almost a magical affect. - Bob

I ended up getting new Avon RoadRider tiors front and rear. They were my mechanic's recommendation.

e4a6a9y9.jpg

y5yhupyt.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

not sure if it's your picture, or your front wheel... but there appear to be some small dings on your front wheel. yes, no? (seen at/near the 3:00 position in first picture)

Yep, that's a bent wheel. It's very visable in the first and the second picture.

:dance:dance:dance

Why didn't he ever mention it? I'll have to ask my mechanic if he had noticed it. Still feels super solid at speed. Could it have been a recent pothole? What sort if impact would have done that?

The front 3 spoke early K wheels do have a tendency to bend when they hit road hazards as the rim is only supported every 120 degrees. The earlier Y spoke wheels are much more robust, as they are supported every 45 degrees.

Luckily, the 4valve K100RS and the K1100 wheels are more plentiful and easier to find used than the 3spoke K75 wheels! The 2 valve wheels are not interchangeable with the 4valve wheels due to the 4valve having floating rotors.

There are a few places that can straighten the wheel including the Motorcycle Frameman in Sacramento, Ca. http://www.motorcycleframeman.com

I've had EXCELLENT results with him on several people's forks and wheels.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
I have similar wheels on my '94R1100RS. Wheels are known to bend or break. Best to keep air pressure maxed up to level of 2up loaded as listed on owners manual all the time.

If you scroll back to my first post you'll see that the ding was there before, too. Isn't that the same bend on the other tiors? Please confirm. Same one, right? (None dare call me anxiety boy)

Back