• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which skid plate?

Illiya

Hello All. Tomorrow I expect delivery of my 2014 G650 GS. I am interested in buying a skid plate, but am undecided between the Altrider or the BMW model. While they are within three dollars of one another, the Altrider plate appears to cover much more of the engine underneath. Do any of you have experience with either of these plates? Any recommendations? Thank you for your replies.

Which, if either, allows access to the oil drain plug without removing the plate...... buy that one. I modified the plate on Annie's so that I cab drain the oil without removing the plate. Saves time and softens language.

Which, if either, allows access to the oil drain plug without removing the plate...... buy that one. I modified the plate on Annie's so that I cab drain the oil without removing the plate. Saves time and softens language.

+100 !!!

I have removed them and left them off, or drilled holes in them, because they are a pain and interfere with maintenance. If you would also need to remove any part of crashbars - run away fast.

I'm not familiar with all the options out there for the G series GSs, but I do like a lot of the AltRider equipment. I have their crash bars and rad guard on my F800GS and they are very well made and fit properly.

For me, the function of protection surpasses ease of maintenance. My MotoOverland (MOD) skid plate on my F800GS is built to take a hit (and it has) and keep the vital engine parts intact (it did). It takes only a couple minutes to remove for changing the oil which is no big deal given the frequency that that needs to be done. Its not like you change your oil every day or week (maybe the likes of Paul and Voni do unlike us mortal riders whose mileage pales in their shadows ;) ). I had a BMW aluminum skid plate on the bike before and it failed to the job it was installed to do. The result was a cracked engine sump which required emergency repair out in the remote mountains of BC, followed by a later replacement. That failure to protect cost $$$$.

Hello All. Tomorrow I expect delivery of my 2014 G650 GS. I am interested in buying a skid plate, but am undecided between the Altrider or the BMW model. While they are within three dollars of one another, the Altrider plate appears to cover much more of the engine underneath. Do any of you have experience with either of these plates? Any recommendations? Thank you for your replies.

Skid plate on our G650GS. Oem skid plate with a OEM engine cage, both powdercoated black to mach the frame color. I do have one extra OEM skidplate if you need it.

204498_682795568414074_4068321_o_zpsd89183b9.jpg

We added alot stuff on Maggies G650GS.

here with skid plate only, no engine cage, riding around back roads of Missourri.

CRV_1172ZF-0338-31081-1-001.jpg

Back