• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leaking

RIK

Just got back to the garage after a two week bout with pneumonia, lots of fun. Anyway, I had been scrubbing all the grime, oil and dirt from motor and frame. The first thing I noticed today was the point of origin for the oil leak that caused me the scrubbing, oil pressure switch. OK. The second thing I noticed was a red oil drip at the bottom mount of the rear shock. On inspection I can find no film above this, there is a film below on the final housing. Any ideas?

The oil pressure switch, I am going to assume for now, is probably the gasket. I am going to replace switch and all though.

Rick

I see no one has posted anything...you have one of those new fangled single shocks!! I'm assuming you're not using any red fluids forward of the shock, so it seems likely that the fluid might come from the shock. Who makes the shock? Anyway you can find out if they did use red fluid in the shock? Otherwise, I'd clean it up and monitor it for another drip to show up. You might also spray some baby powder on the shock which might give you a telltale trace of where it's coming from.

The oil pressure switch, I am going to assume for now, is probably the gasket. I am going to replace switch and all though.

Rick

Mine leaked at the pressure switch, when I ordered a replacement I was shocked it only cost around $10!

Back