• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Emgo GT Grips

Hi Ron,

I think it'd transfer heat just fine. I have the Excel Motor Werks o-ring kit on my bike, and that's a lot of mass between the original grips through the o-rings out to my gloves. I'm sure it takes a little more time to heat up than stock, but I think it works fine.

As to size, IIRC a set of replacement grips has one grip of one inside diameter and the other grip of a slightly different inside diameter: the smaller grip goes on the bike's left side, and the larger grip goes on the bike's right side, because the right one has to fit over the throttle tube, which rotates on top of the bar.

This thread on the R12R Board discusses using another aftermarket grip (ProGrip 724); the poster used the right-side replacement grip on the bike's left side; he said it worked OK, but I wonder if it might have been too large (even over the heating element) and that he'll have trouble on the right. I haven't had a BMW heated grip apart, but I think the heating elements are pretty thin.

old school, eh? I thought we called those something else :laugh Rhymed with giddy grips. They still come in 1" and 5/8"

Have changed a lot of older style grips, have not on anything newer than '02. Not sure if you can separate the rubber from the element like you could on the older style.

Thanks for the link, d martin. Those are great pictures and help a lot.

And I like the Oilhead-style grips even more than the old-school ones I was looking at before. Now to see if I can find them!

Hi Ron,

I think it'd transfer heat just fine. I have the Excel Motor Werks o-ring kit on my bike, and that's a lot of mass between the original grips through the o-rings out to my gloves. I'm sure it takes a little more time to heat up than stock, but I think it works fine.

As to size, IIRC a set of replacement grips has one grip of one inside diameter and the other grip of a slightly different inside diameter: the smaller grip goes on the bike's left side, and the larger grip goes on the bike's right side, because the right one has to fit over the throttle tube, which rotates on top of the bar.

This thread on the R12R Board discusses using another aftermarket grip (ProGrip 724); the poster used the right-side replacement grip on the bike's left side; he said it worked OK, but I wonder if it might have been too large (even over the heating element) and that he'll have trouble on the right. I haven't had a BMW heated grip apart, but I think the heating elements are pretty thin.

I [carefully] cut the grips off my "K" bike [using an Exacto knife], I'll double check but I fairly sure both sides measured 1" dia. with the heat element still in place. I'm thinking the same [should] be true for the "R" bike ? The OEM grips are just a-tad small in diameter , and I remember those 'barrel' shaped type being very comfortable on a Kawasaki bike I had .

Those are the older style, not sure as mentioned if the new style will come off like that.

The squarish grips on our post - 05 K's and R's have not been my favorites and I have used the o-rings,grip puppies, and slip on covers to help. Would not mind the older style if possible

The OEM rubbers for pre-05's are listed in the 1100GS fiche, and take two right side grips for the heated grips setup.

part # 32721458396. Heard T Porter also carries them in a two pack, maybe others do as well.I paid around $9 each.

Last edited:
Like Grip Buddies et al, the Emgo grips will slow down the heating-up process due to their insulating properties, but eventually everything gets toasty. I'd like to hear how you like the Emg grips. The OE grips on my '11 RT are about the best OE grips I've experienced but I've got Grip Buddies on it now for a little bigger diameter.

p

p,

I won't be using the Emgo; I really like the pre-2005 Oilhead ribbed ones better. I think they can be installed over the heated elements on my '07 R. This thread on ADV Rider makes it look doable.

I have a week-long ride next week, and wlll have a go at it when I return.

Back