• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Suggestions for Brantford, ON to Ludington MI?

hlebowi2

OldNuke gave me some local's tips for Mantowoc WI to the Rally, but would love feedback on Ontario (Brantford) to Ludington to catch the ferry. Starting in Northern NY.
Thanks,
Howard

OldNuke gave me some local's tips for Mantowoc WI to the Rally, but would love feedback on Ontario (Brantford) to Ludington to catch the ferry. Starting in Northern NY.
Thanks,
Howard
FWIW - I recall US 10 from Midland MI (sister lives there) to Ludington was a nice ride. You would have to bushwack it from Sarnia to Midland tho. The Badger ferry had an overnite cabin-breakfast-ferry to Manitowoc package that was reasonable - though it was late October.

FWIW - I recall US 10 from Midland MI (sister lives there) to Ludington was a nice ride. You would have to bushwack it from Sarnia to Midland tho. The Badger ferry had an overnite cabin-breakfast-ferry to Manitowoc package that was reasonable - though it was late October.

Thanks for the post.
I decided to get to Ludington in the evening, stay overnight there at a B&B (already reserved) and take the AM ferry to Manitowoc so I could go across the Lake during the day (having never seen it).

Thanks for the post.
I decided to get to Ludington in the evening, stay overnight there at a B&B (already reserved) and take the AM ferry to Manitowoc so I could go across the Lake during the day (having never seen it).

It's a great ride.....They have chaise lounges on deck or you can hang onto the rail, and enjoy!!

Brantford to Lundington

You could take the ferry that crosses over at Marine City Michigan and state roads to US 23 north to catch US 10 for Ludington.
I take the ferry crossing going to the ABC rally all the time.

:wave

You could take the ferry that crosses over at Marine City Michigan and state roads to US 23 north to catch US 10 for Ludington.

:wave Hey Max; hope to see you again this May at the ABC Rally! Bring a couple of ABC newbies with you this year.

Thread hijack has ended. :D

:wave

Max
Looked at the map, and am wondering why you suggest going south to Sombra ON (I assume that's where the ferry crossing to Marine City MI) rather than heading straight west or northwest towards Ludington (by Sarnia?).
I know nothing about any of this route....

Max
Looked at the map, and am wondering why you suggest going south to Sombra ON (I assume that's where the ferry crossing to Marine City MI) rather than heading straight west or northwest towards Ludington (by Sarnia?).
I know nothing about any of this route....

I often take this route, to and from the US, just to avoid the long :banghead lineups at the Sarnia/Port Huron border (must apply for Nexus pass this week ). There are a series of backroads with only the odd little village to to reduce one's speed from the 402 to Sombra. However, I've never ridden nor looked at maps to get from Marine City to Ludington.

I often take this route, to and from the US, just to avoid the long :banghead lineups at the Sarnia/Port Huron border (must apply for Nexus pass this week ). There are a series of backroads with only the odd little village to to reduce one's speed from the 402 to Sombra. However, I've never ridden nor looked at maps to get from Marine City to Ludington.

Would Sarnia/Port Huron border be bad on a Tuesday late afternoon?

Would Sarnia/Port Huron border be bad on a Tuesday late afternoon?

I can never predict what the Sarnia/Port Huron crossing will be like at any time of day. :dunno Sometimes it is a :bow ten minute crossing and a week or two later, same day of the week, similar time and lots of cars are being :stick inspected and everything just moves at a snail's pace. For the number of times that I cross, I have been foolish to not have applied for a Nexus card; this week for certain. :thumb

I can never predict what the Sarnia/Port Huron crossing will be like at any time of day. :dunno Sometimes it is a :bow ten minute crossing and a week or two later, same day of the week, similar time and lots of cars are being :stick inspected and everything just moves at a snail's pace. For the number of times that I cross, I have been foolish to not have applied for a Nexus card; this week for certain. :thumb

Paul,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I applied for a Nexus card. I live about 1 1/2 hours south of the Champlain border, go to Quebec a few times a year, so $50 for 5 years sounds pretty good.

The Nexus card is worth every cent. The first time I used it was to cross at Sarnia/Port Huron on an airhead. It was a hot day and the traffic was backed up about 3km in Sarnia. If I had had to sit in that traffic jam then inch up the bridge, the airhead would have overheated and the clutch would be shot. Instead I rode in the dedicated Nexus lane past all the traffic. Paid for itself that first time!
I take the ferry all the time. I am half an hour from Brantford and usually take the evening ferry so I can be in WI the morning of my second day.
Bring decent tie downs:
i-f37sGfV-M.jpg

Watching the trucks back up the structure in the background to load the ferry is fun.
i-V955NF6-M.jpg

Whenever it works with my trip routing, I try to take the ferry between Marine City, MI and Sombra (?) Ontario. It runs back and forth about every 15 minutes and the customs people seem to move right along. A very small crossing with little traffic.

Back