Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GS Riding Gear

GS Riding Gear

Currently have and have ridden an RT with road gear only. Aero stitch suit, leather half boots, and full helmet. Have a GS on the way and was wondering what is appropriate riding gear for this bike? Off road gear? Different boots? I plan to ride roads and probably light off road trails. Thanks!

Smile

If it's paid for, it's appropriate...

Having ridden all over on a GS.... Personal advice would be to keep wearing your 'stich and upgrade your boots to a dual-sport pair that you can fit under your Aerostich leg zippers.

Ride Far, Ride Safe

It's mostly image, but if your gear is mesh maybe it will let in too much dirt.

Speaking of image, I'm waiting to see someone on a Vespa or C650 wearing full GS gear.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

Speaking of image, I'm waiting to see someone on a Vespa or C650 wearing full GS gear.
    I started off on a Vespa, and wore full ATTGATT, realizing that if my head hits a curb at 40mph it doesn't care I was riding a scooter. I knew I looked pretty odd.
    Wound up moving to a r1150r so that my bike matched my gear--and many other reasons also. Yup.

But I'd think that if the riding conditions remain the same, then assuming the gear was adequate and appropriate for that, then changing the steed wouldn't make much difference? Changing where you ride, or how would make a difference.

I guess you never saw this gem...

Quote Originally Posted by Poskashflo View Post
    Have a GS on the way and was wondering what is appropriate riding gear for this bike?
    Been riding my GSes since 1992 using an Aerostich. No need for anything fancy. Any serious textile gear will do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Been riding my GSes since 1992 using an Aerostich. No need for anything fancy. Any serious textile gear will do.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I don't know the actual numbers, but perhaps , what, 90% of all GS riding is on highway. If so, full leathers would be entirely appropriate.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I have two suits, a StreetGuard 2 for my highway touring and a Revit Cayenne Pro for the GS. Two main reasons for a separate GS dedicated suit for me are:

1. The Goretex lined StreetGuard suit is way too hot for slow off road riding where I am working hard and getting little air to keep me cool. I do ride my GS off highways lots, well off the asphalt at times. Picking up a GS is hard sweaty work sometimes.

2. The Revit suit gets filthy and smelly and I hate having to wash my suit every time I go out in the dirt and mud. I don't want to wear a filthy suit when I ride in more civilized conditions.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    If it's paid for, it's appropriate...
    Don't worry about the cost, your a "BMW GUY"!
    If I was (and I'm actually not) on a wishing mission, I'd say buy the stuff on the inside cover of ON so you can look like a wanna be but COOL! rider, all tough and bearded up & $200 sunglasses to go with the GS gear of the day...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I don't know the actual numbers, but perhaps , what, 90% of all GS riding is on highway.
    Back when I bought my first GS, there was nothing really on the market that would have made a good "standard" motorcycle which is what I was after.

The GS is just that with more suspension travel making it an even better "standard".

Having been in the dirt with serious dedicated dirt bikes, a GS would simply be an exercise in frustration. Gravel roads and logging roads are the most I'd take one one so as not to get disappointed.

In the April Road Runner mag. page 37 there is an add for Cycle Gear that has a Explorer Air Jacket for $359 and get Free helmet, pants and gloves made by Bilt. Seems the price is right if you only need it once in awhile for dirt play. www.cyclegear.com
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Gear up for the riding you do, not the bike. Even on an RT there are different choices to be made for different touring styles.

Tell us what you're going to be doing, then maybe you'll get some meaningful suggestions.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

motorcycle cowboy roostershooter's Avatar
    Just be sure to stand up while riding on rally grounds.
    2013 Goldwing