• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS Riding Gear

Poskashflo

Currently have and have ridden an RT with road gear only. Aero stitch suit, leather half boots, and full helmet. Have a GS on the way and was wondering what is appropriate riding gear for this bike? Off road gear? Different boots? I plan to ride roads and probably light off road trails. Thanks!

Having ridden all over on a GS.... Personal advice would be to keep wearing your 'stich and upgrade your boots to a dual-sport pair that you can fit under your Aerostich leg zippers.

Ride Far, Ride Safe

It's mostly image, but if your gear is mesh maybe it will let in too much dirt.

Speaking of image, I'm waiting to see someone on a Vespa or C650 wearing full GS gear.

Speaking of image, I'm waiting to see someone on a Vespa or C650 wearing full GS gear.

I started off on a Vespa, and wore full ATTGATT, realizing that if my head hits a curb at 40mph it doesn't care I was riding a scooter. I knew I looked pretty odd.
Wound up moving to a r1150r so that my bike matched my gear--and many other reasons also. Yup.

But I'd think that if the riding conditions remain the same, then assuming the gear was adequate and appropriate for that, then changing the steed wouldn't make much difference? Changing where you ride, or how would make a difference.

I guess you never saw this gem...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X53gpALLz2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been riding my GSes since 1992 using an Aerostich. No need for anything fancy. Any serious textile gear will do.

I don't know the actual numbers, but perhaps , what, 90% of all GS riding is on highway. If so, full leathers would be entirely appropriate.

I have two suits, a StreetGuard 2 for my highway touring and a Revit Cayenne Pro for the GS. Two main reasons for a separate GS dedicated suit for me are:

1. The Goretex lined StreetGuard suit is way too hot for slow off road riding where I am working hard and getting little air to keep me cool. I do ride my GS off highways lots, well off the asphalt at times. Picking up a GS is hard sweaty work sometimes.

2. The Revit suit gets filthy and smelly and I hate having to wash my suit every time I go out in the dirt and mud. I don't want to wear a filthy suit when I ride in more civilized conditions.

If it's paid for, it's appropriate...:wave
Don't worry about the cost, your a "BMW GUY"!
If I was (and I'm actually not:brow) on a wishing mission, I'd say buy the stuff on the inside cover of ON so you can look like a wanna be but COOL!:kiss rider, all tough and bearded up & $200 sunglasses to go with the GS gear of the day...:thumb

I don't know the actual numbers, but perhaps , what, 90% of all GS riding is on highway.

Back when I bought my first GS, there was nothing really on the market that would have made a good "standard" motorcycle which is what I was after.

The GS is just that with more suspension travel making it an even better "standard".

Having been in the dirt with serious dedicated dirt bikes, a GS would simply be an exercise in frustration. Gravel roads and logging roads are the most I'd take one one so as not to get disappointed.

In the April Road Runner mag. page 37 there is an add for Cycle Gear that has a Explorer Air Jacket for $359 and get Free helmet, pants and gloves made by Bilt. Seems the price is right if you only need it once in awhile for dirt play. www.cyclegear.com

Gear up for the riding you do, not the bike. Even on an RT there are different choices to be made for different touring styles.

Tell us what you're going to be doing, then maybe you'll get some meaningful suggestions.

This thread reminds me of the time I killed a pending LT sale...

A co-worker - who is a lifetime HD rider was right on the verge of buying a KLT a few years back. Test drove it at Chicago BMW, got the financing lined up, liked the color.

The I told him that the Black HD leathers and beanie helmets that he and his wife wore were probably not optimal for riding a BMW. The very thought of buying all new riding gear killed the sale.

Sorry about that Mike!:cry

Your street gear will work fine. However, if you get into dirty work, then it might be a little heavy and you risk getting over heated. Dirt riding is far more physical than street work, so most dirt gear is lighter and breathes better, and since the speeds are usually lower, there is less armor/protection.

I upgraded my boots to some dual sport grade equipment (alpinestar toucan) from my current road boots. I am looking at getting a different jacket that is vented better than my Savannah II and has good armor. I was bashed in the upper arm by a tree branch while zipping along a tight trail and can see the need for good protection.

I've kept my street glove and helmets for now. I am looking at a helmet that vents a bit better and can also accomodate goggles to take the place of my full face street lids.

Most posts are correct and I read a lot of sarcasm toward GS owners not using their bikes off road in others. It may be true that most GS bikes won't see dirt or trails, but if you are going to use yours to it's capabilities, get good protective gear.

Enjoy the ride, it's great getting into the woods!:dance

Back