• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600GTLE arm rest modification

FrankFlorio

Impulse
I want to share a post I read on another forum and I sure hope the owner of this information won't mind me simply copying from his original post and pasting here:

I like the armrest but hated that I was unable to remove them when my wife wasn't riding. Even when you remove the top case, who wants to ride around looking awkward ( bat-wing ). I ended up going to a local machine shop and had them cut and modified with a slotted male and female coupling that is held together with one bolt. Its easy to remove and looks good. Check out the pictures. BMW should have made them this way in the first place. For the $750. price tag and then $200. for the modification all to make the wife happy.

Iphone photos 147.jpgIphone photos 148.jpg

Good point.....But, I've found some good uses for them......

I want to share a post I read on another forum and I sure hope the owner of this information won't mind me simply copying from his original post and pasting here:

I like the armrest but hated that I was unable to remove them when my wife wasn't riding. Even when you remove the top case, who wants to ride around looking awkward ( bat-wing ). I ended up going to a local machine shop and had them cut and modified with a slotted male and female coupling that is held together with one bolt. Its easy to remove and looks good. Check out the pictures. BMW should have made them this way in the first place. For the $750. price tag and then $200. for the modification all to make the wife happy.

View attachment 44252View attachment 44253

While getting ready for a 15k mile+ trip, I found that more space was needed for misc items. The Arm bars worked perfect to protect and secure a large pack. Not having the Arm bars I would have relied on a much less secure(I mean without a lock) method. Your point is valid and a great idea when riding without pillion. I'm sure it looks better without them, but if you're thinking of a long solo ride give thought to their benefits. Having Fishing rod and Vest with $$ worth of goods locked into those Arm bars allows a bit more relaxation when parking the bike in a new town. Just my two cents.....

K1600 GTL Armrest install and modification

Thanks for sharing this post. It gave me the inspiration I needed. I purchased the armrests on EBay and they came without any instructions as stated in the listing. Installation was no trouble but it does require carving on 2 plastic trim pieces. Without any template it was a little nerve racking but I used a dremel tool and took it slow. As for the modification to make them removable, I did not want the expense of a machine shop, so used 1” x 3.75” x 1/4” bar stock with pins on either side of a 5/16-18 bolt. I made a Wooden fixture to hold everything in alignment when I cut the original tubing to make way for the removable brackets. Then I held the brackets in place and welded them to the tubing. A little paint and I installed the armrests to the bike and put everything back together. The pictures should fill in the gaps in my explanation.
835986DF-F1C8-422C-AB93-80A2BC1ED935.jpeg
3B98A443-3ACD-4A00-B70C-BC5893B4A09B.jpeg
E33580C1-5EAB-44AD-8673-1D14E5A12F1C.jpeg
F80A9E96-B60D-4A2E-A68E-79BADB535D90.jpeg

Now I have a comfortable two-up touring machine when my wife is with and can still be cool when riding solo. At least the bike can look cool. I am passed the cool stage myself.

Last edited:
question about the modification

Terrific ideas. I would like a little more detail on the plates you made. I think I see the pin. Did you weld the pin in place? did you only use one pin? Maybe an additional plate on the side would help? The trimming of the plastic was around the gold piece covering the tubing outside the seat?

Thanks,
J

Armrest mod

Terrific ideas. I would like a little more detail on the plates you made. I think I see the pin. Did you weld the pin in place? did you only use one pin? Maybe an additional plate on the side would help? The trimming of the plastic was around the gold piece covering the tubing outside the seat?

Thanks,
J

I used 2 steel dowel pins but you can use bolts or rod if you like. I press fit them into the plate that gets welded on the armrest. I drilled clearance holes on the plate that stays on the bike. You could also just use 2 bolts to mount them and skip the pins all together. Here is a better picture.
E663390D-363B-4663-AA0C-69411E7755D9.jpg

I am so glad I took the time to do this because the bike look so much better without the bags and armrests.
B1A44470-E37A-4E8D-8873-A6F21C69F452.jpeg

Attachments

• 9EEC90B1-A5C7-4593-9E06-5B98A321A097.jpg
    9EEC90B1-A5C7-4593-9E06-5B98A321A097.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 36
Armrest mod

Thanks,
J

Sorry I forgot to answer your question on the trimming of the plastic. You only need to trim 2 black plastic pieces. These are located just below the seat on either side of the bike. I found these pictures on the internet and they show it best.
00FAEB9D-BF0E-4899-BE3C-8D59AEC0B4C5.jpeg
D3A5244C-8C2E-4D20-9FA4-CBB70EB5FAD3.jpeg
Your work is covered by the seat so it does not need to be perfect.

Good luck.

Back