• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rider Info Display

fireguy

Over Winter I performed a good baseline service on my 2003 R1150RT. This included complete brake bleed, which required removing the fuel tank. While the tank was off, I replaced the fuel filter and associated hoses which necessitated draining the fuel. While I was at it I installed the metal fuel QD's. Once the service was completed I installed the tank and put a small (maybe a half gallon) of fuel in. In order to test the brakes, I installed the seat (no fairings) and took it down the street and back to test the ABS brakes. All looked and worked fine. After installing the remainder of the fairings, etc, I noticed on initial start up that the RID had no display on temp or fuel side. Gear was reading "0" for gear (I was in Neutral) and clock was operating. I ran the engine for about 4-5 min and there was no temp indicated. Shut down and waited for a minute or two and turned on ignition, still no temp (waiting for ''heat soak''). I can't remember from the last time I rode whether the temp starts out with no bars or maybe one bar. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Gerry

2003 R1150RT

The RID will sit at 0 bars when cold
Try filling the tank with more gas, putting into gear for a reading......

Well, This afternoon I added at least another 1.5 Gal of fuel, and still no fuel level bars. Warning light out, bike starts and runs. So... I pulled the fairings, again, and emptied the tank via a fuel transfer hose I put together using the old plastic QDs and three ft of hose. I removed the tank and opened the fuel pump plate and I found the small electrical connector had unplugged inside. It seems that the little release tabs had softened over eleven years marinating in gas. I reconnected the connector and used a combination of good quality zip ties and secured the connection. Had a bugger of a time re-seating the large ''O'' ring, but managed to close up the tank and re install it. I added about half a gallon to it and found that I had one bar on the indicator. Success.
Gerry

Well done!:thumb

Tech tip: Buy another "O" ring and alternate them between filter changes.
Once left away from gas the swollen one will shrink back to original size for easy install next time.

Thank You. When I added more fuel and no bars, I figured I might as well go back into the tank, as that's where the problem would be. Thanks for the input.
Gerry

Back