• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ID, MT, OR, WA and WY Campgrounds GPX

nakwakto00

Adventurist
I spent considerable time gathering from many sources all the public campgrounds (USFS, State Park, County & City, Utility, and more). I cleaned up the data as best as I could, but I am sure a few mistakes and omissions still exist (e.g., wrong state or ownership, etc.). Private campgrounds are not listed. You can edit, delete, or add data as you see fit.

The campground data was pulled together into a database, then migrated to a .CSV (comma separated values) file and then into a .GPX file. I then import the .GPX file into a Garmin Basecamp folder called "campgrounds" for my trip planning. I then copy the specific campgrounds I want from the campgrounds folder into the specific folder and list/route I am working on. It works pretty slick for me.

As I said above, the .GPX data actually comes from a .CSV file which lists the Latitude, Longitude, Name, type, location (e.g., name of national forest or other info), phone nos., sites, elevation, and comments. The .CSV file is too large to attach to the MOA forum so if you want that you'll need to PM me and ask for it. I have the CSV data imported into an MS Excel spreadsheet which I can do searches based on various criteria, e.g., state, national forest, latitude/longitude, etc. Once you have it in MS Excel you can export the data into various specific .CSVs specific to your search. Then convert the .CSV to a .GPX using a free Windows utility called "GPSBabel." Then import that into your GPS or Basecamp or other software. The .GPX data can be imported into many different GPS devices, so you will always have the campground(s) you need.

I actually wish I could figure out how to import the data into the Garmin Basecamp "Points of Interest" database. If anyone knows how to do that let me know.

Hope you find this data helpful for your summer trip planning.

Attachments

• ID MT OR WA WY Campgrounds.gpx
    256.9 KB · Views: 8
Back