• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fork Oil

snookers

DBLUPPR
I have a leaking seal on one of the front forks of my 1100RT.....seems like a fairly straight forward job to repair.
My question is this......Can I use any 5W or 10W oil in the forks or is there a specific brand I should be looking for ?

Morning,

I just replaced my seals on my 99 RT. It's really simple - you don't even have to remove the front wheel. You could, in a pinch even do it with the tupperware on.

I used ATF fluid per advice on this forum and BMWST.COM. After all, telelever forks rely on the shock for mechanical dampening; there aren't any springs in the fork tubes. The fluid in the forks acts as a lubricant only.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark

Thanks for the reply.........after digging around a bit more on other sites it would seem that there are various ways to get this done.
For the fork oil,I will be using ATF4 since I seem to have quite a bit of it on the garage shelves

If it is only used for lubrication, then why not use whatever motor oil you have around the shop?
It's not like it is in a high stress environment.

If it is only used for lubrication, then why not use whatever motor oil you have around the shop?
It's not like it is in a high stress environment.
The OE manual recommends it.
Motor oil has detergent in it, not sure if you want to keep containments in suspension in this application.

Back