• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Getaway at Fontana

txmxrider

I'm not much of a rally-goer or group-mingler but thought what the heck, I'll give this a try. Is anyone here going? Wife and I will be truck camping at the resort campground. Plan to arrive on Friday; may get some riding in that afternoon, then will ride all day Saturday and Sunday, and heading for home on Monday. I've never ridden in that area before so I'm looking forward to this. We'll be on an Orient Blue '03 K1200 GT.

Julie and I will be arriving early Friday. Looking forward to seeing everyone. I hope the new friends we made last year will be back this year. As Cal will tell you, there is unlimited riding in the area.

There is more than enough good road in that part of the world to keep you occupied for weeks, at least.

But be aware that the date for this event is 2-3 weeks before prime time spring weather in the mountains which is mid May. Also, this year has been colder, longer which, if it continues, will increase the chance of cold wet weather. Especially in the early spring, one can run into a weather change just around any one of those mountains- its not rare to ride in/out of rain 3 times a day or more that time of year.

Am expecting to be in the vicinity that weekend but at a different event

Yes to all of the above it could also snow. Old timers up here say winter is not over 'til May 15th. Just bring good gear, electrics and something warm for the evening around a campfire. I prefer Ron del Barrilito.
:dance

Well if it rains I'll be riding solo and the wife will be in the lounge. And if it snows we'll *both* be in the lounge knockin' em back! :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hope everyone had a good time and made it back home safe and sound. Wife and I got in two full days of great riding and had a blast. The weather was awesome both days. Met a lot of interesting people and got to talk to some of the folks that I've been following online and in the ON magazine for years.

Now I've got to slap on another set of tires and head to the Georgia Mtn Rally this weekend!

Thanks to everyone that attended our "Funtana" getaway this past weekend. After getting a little rain out of the way on Friday we had an awesome day of riding on Saturday as well as a great day Sunday when reluctantly we had to head home. It was great to see all the returning members as well as a whole bunch of folks there and in the area for the first time!

We have more Weekend Getaways coming up later in the year so stay tuned for all the details and book early to insure you get your spot!

2015 event

I was looking at the 2015 version of this weekend getaway...................

I'm hard pressed to see the value of the $89.00 registration fee.

Meal $20.00, tee shirt $7.00, some insurance, goodie bag, even some room rental fees.

Is this a fund raising event?

Just asking?

jason

... Its sort of a "pay to play" social event... and your "renting" some services & space at a resort type property. They in turn grant you a discount on lodging, some even allow camping, also at a fee. Somebody from MOA has to scope all this out & coordinate it... guess who's likely paying for that & their lodging? We're trying to become "something to offer to everybody"; and some folks like these outings. If you've never been to the area where held... its still all about the ride!

"travel'n" john

... Its sort of a "pay to play" social event... and your "renting" some services & space at a resort type property. They in turn grant you a discount on lodging, some even allow camping, also at a fee. Somebody from MOA has to scope all this out & coordinate it... guess who's likely paying for that & their lodging? We're trying to become "something to offer to everybody"; and some folks like these outings. If you've never been to the area where held... its still all about the ride!

"travel'n" john

Hey John...the wife and I are registering for the 2015 Fontana event this weekend. Is there an official thread for this rally yet? Would be nice to have an updated thread for everyone that is attending to chime in on. This will be our first rally on our new RT and we are looking forward to riding some awesome roads making new friends . :wave

Yes to all of the above it could also snow. Old timers up here say winter is not over 'til May 15th. Just bring good gear, electrics and something warm for the evening around a campfire. I prefer Ron del Barrilito.
:dance

Actually old timers up there say" winter ain't over" 'till May 15th. :D

.... that's a good idea AirBender, on those that register leaving a little info on a forum site. Though some may not even currently participate in this social media. I've not seen anything other than this left over 2014 continuation on Fontana Weekend. So this itself seems appropriate for mass communication for those involved. Remember though AirBender... your saying RALLY...
and this is pretty far from a typical, routine as most know it... Rally. This element of social gathering is a tad different, yet beneficial for enjoyment & riding....... and good sleep!

"travel'n" john

I was looking at the 2015 version of this weekend getaway...................

I'm hard pressed to see the value of the $89.00 registration fee.

Meal $20.00, tee shirt $7.00, some insurance, goodie bag, even some room rental fees.

Is this a fund raising event?

Just asking?

jason

OR, you can go a week earlier to the BMWLT Spring Training Camp at the Ironhorse lodge. No Fee.

Or, go a week later to the GA Mountain Rally a little to the South and get a camp site and a couple of meals included in the rally fee.

Just saying!

OR, you can go a week earlier to the BMWLT Spring Training Camp at the Ironhorse lodge. No Fee.

Or, go a week later to the GA Mountain Rally a little to the South and get a camp site and a couple of meals included in the rally fee.

Just saying!

We just registered and paid for GA Mountain Rally as well...that should be really fun too. So how about Fontana Getaway ladies & gents!? Anyone else going to be making it? It's only a month away but this thread seems a bit slow..... :scratch

Actually the Registrations for Fontana are going well and almost sold out. As of this morning there were only a couple of lodge rooms and several two bedroom cabins left with about 100 people registered! This year the base of operations will be down in the Recreation Hall giving us more room. The Friday reception will give us room to spill out into the parking lot, kick tires and tell lies while enjoying live bluegrass music! If you are contemplating attending this event....do it!

Actually the Registrations for Fontana are going well and almost sold out. As of this morning there were only a couple of lodge rooms and several two bedroom cabins left with about 100 people registered! This year the base of operations will be down in the Recreation Hall giving us more room. The Friday reception will give us room to spill out into the parking lot, kick tires and tell lies while enjoying live bluegrass music! If you are contemplating attending this event....do it!

Great news Vance! Really looking forward to participating in this event as a first timer :dance

Back