• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Interesting

lkchris

So, the sleep schedule is still a mess from DST changeover and then Saturday evening first Formula One race of the year from Melbourne started midnight in my time zone.

So this meant I was ready to watch a late nite movie Sunday night and found

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on FXXHD

I'd heard of it and the book author and setting was Swedish which is a plus for me.

During the showing a commercial for the BMW R nineT was quite interesting.

Same guy maybe from the print ads, going to a bar, the message "you'll be cool if you ride one of these."

Bit different message than the usual BMW "adventure" promise I'd say.

This was really late night, just before or after midnight depending on your time zone, and the rest of the ads attached to this movie were fairly nonconventional, too, maybe even one for phone sex. Sunday night.

To me very interesting from BMW.

But, hey, this is after all something of a "motorcycle movie," as the (very dark, very tattooed) heroine did lots of fairly frantic urban motorcycle riding in the flick.

So, in the S1000 subforum there's been a discussion of "demograpics." The mind boggles thinking of BMW's perhaps target market for the R nineT. Will they become MOA members?

Doesn't surprise me as the bikes sorta follow- generationally. The movie was real good in both Swedish and English.
She was on this-

girl_with_the-Dragon_tattoo_motorcycle.jpg

And some interesting background here- http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/01/girl-with-dragon-tattoo-motorcycle.html

Even the F800GS feels a lot more "sporty" when I have all the bags off :burnout

OM

When the hook of Stieg Larssen's writing was set, he quickly reeled me in. A tragedy that his life ended so soon.

We enjoyed the movies, in both languages.

Are there plans afoot to make the other two books in the series into films? The Swedish version made $90 million and the US version made $140 million, so it seems financially feasible.

FWIW, watch the Swedish version of all 3 Dragon movies. The Americanized version is nowhere near as good. I did all 3 in a row and felt like somebody had taken a chunk out of me. Just brilliant.

And I feel your pain on the late night F1 broadcasts. I have to watch them live and this Asian loop of races wipes me out for the weekend (I watch qualifying live too). But this is setting up to be a cracking year in F1!

The sub-title version in English,of all 3 are available on "Netflix" DVD.........Very very good stuff. In fact, watching those we got into a lot of Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish movies with sub-titles. Most are excellent in their production value, plots, and writing twists..........God bless.......Dennis

So, in the S1000 subforum there's been a discussion of "demograpics." The mind boggles thinking of BMW's perhaps target market for the R nineT. Will they become MOA members?

Or should we ask, will current MOA members be interested in the R Nine T?

Yes!!!!

OK it's not as practical as my R1200R but I really dig the R Nine T!

BH

the commcerical

...That being said (my previous post) I do not like the commercial as it certainly seems to be pandering to some demographic. Seeing how this bike is somehow giving a nod to its heritage I'd love to see a commercial that gives us a glimpse of the progression terminating with the retro homage of the R Nine T. That's not really the same thing as this Ferrari-Shell commercial, but you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kwxzU4wL4

BH

Anything BMW can do to counter the milquetoast image associated with Gold Wings, HDs, V-Stroms, Teneres, etc., is fine with me. They keep their cars as far from Lexus as they can. They are way, way, way in front and should say so. No guilt.

Interesting time to post that commercial.

Here's my take.

They will probably pull in a younger customer with the R Nine T. That ad was placed with the viewing demographic in mind, for sure.

At the local show, there were a lot of younger riders, as well as a lot of established BMW riders, checking out that bike. That said, I don't think they'd become BMW MOA members. It's just not what typical younger folks do, i.e. join older, established organizations.

On a side note, I've only read the first Steig Larsson book, but saw both the American and Swedish versions of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on successive nights. Frankly, I liked them both. They were both just different takes on the same story. That's what movies made from books do; they're rarely completely accurate, and often disappoint. I wasn't disappointed by either of the versions of the movie. They just told the story a bit differently. Reading the book first was a huge advantage.

The ad is aimed squarely at hipsters, right down to the jeans, helmet and facial hair, and the "ironic" message is that this bike will get you the girl. Classic in more than one way... :ha

I like this direction. Nothing wrong with showing how BMW makes a darn fine ride for the 'city' rider. Maybe not all of us are canyon carvers, long distance loners or back road world travellers. And one does tend to meet more people if you travel amongst them. This bike has showed up on the the top five list of several of my riding friends who do not ride Beemers as the extra bike they would love to have to tool around their urban environment instead of a 'cruiser' of any marque. Why? This bike is sexy - at least to them and me.

I like this direction, too. It will sell a lot of BMW motorcycles and that is good for us all.

fwiw, Beemers have been all about this in the SF Bay Area for many years... old used ones, especially 70s airheads.

Ian

Back