• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1992 K75S -- wont start after police tow. no green neutral TT nor gear indicator

I have a trick for finding the exact problem you described but it takes tools and patience. I get a circuit breaker put it in the circuit. I then use a compass, like a boyscout compass and wait for the current to build in the circuit breaker, scan the machine with the compass. The needle will get me close after a few tries and then, bang on and I have my short.

The problem is always when the circuit breaker pops, I have to start over.

The other way, time and patience required, wire a test light into the fuse between buss and load. If it lights up bright, dead short. If it lights up dim, I start pulling connectors until the light goes out. It gets you into the circuit causing the problem and the figuring out why requires a sit down with a beer and a good multimeter.

Winter riding in the snow is never a good idea. I can relate. I only have a 5 month season of riding at best and I quit riding the first hint of frost. If you are squiggly on two wheels, so is everybody else, they just don't know it yet.

Thank You! RESOLVED!

hey just want to say again, thank you! to everyone for tips on this thread.

thanks to your help i was able to avoid towing the moto to a shop.

in the end, i took it to my new mechanic (tom at motorcycle works in brooklyn)

the problem was indeed caused by my dropping the bike, a simple adjustment of the bars fixed the short and the heated grips started working again as a bonus.

in the end, the whole deal only cost me $20. if i didn't have MOA membership i probly would have had the bike towed ($75min) and then have them start looking for problem in the wrong place. thanks to your tips i was able to avoid having it towed, and the extra time let me cool off and track down the actual cause of the problem instead of being distracted by the towing nightmare.

my brick is flying again! thank you!

I hate to tell you, adjusting the bars did not SOLVE the problem. You eliminated the symptom (blowing fuses).

The PROBLEM is that you have an uninsulated hot wire (broken, torn, or cut insulation) somewhere between the underside of the tank, the switch, or the grips, that was occasionally touching ground (frame, inside of handlebars, etc).

The solution is to find that bare section of wire and insulate it. It's quite possible that it is in the end of the grip where you dropped it.

If you'd care to PM or email me your phone #, I could call you and talk you through this and the other issues you have.

:dance:dance:dance

Back