Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Center stand or not?

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by xlarry View Post
    I tried that with my 2013 RT. I couldn't do it. Am I missing something or is it brute strength?
    When I've done it, I had to pull it to one side so a lot of the weight was on one side so it could pivot around and the lighter side could slide.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by jgr451 View Post
    Dieselyoda can probably tell you exactly how to do it.
    I don't think I can tell anybody exactly how to do it. I have an older Oilhead, easy. My Brick and Bricklet, easy. All my Airheads in the past, even easier.

The Brick and Oilhead are heavy.

For me, leave the steering unlocked, a little lift on the rear and walk with it.

I know that it isn't a very good explanation. I can also swing my bikes on the sidestand. That takes some coordination.

It might be one of those things where you need to find a rhythm.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
    BMW does offer a factory center stand for the lowered version of this bike as well as the normal height one.
    I am pretty sure that if you order the lowered suspension they will take away the center stand as an option.

My 650GS is lowered (not factory) and I cannot get it on the center stand by myself due to that reason. I can get my 1100R on the center stand no problem.
    Sharon
    #GSGiants
    2012 F650GS twin
    1973 R60/5

Quote Originally Posted by WI Sharon View Post
    I am pretty sure that if you order the lowered suspension they will take away the center stand as an option.

My 650GS is lowered (not factory) and I cannot get it on the center stand by myself due to that reason. I can get my 1100R on the center stand no problem.

BMW offers two distinctly different center stands for G650GS models: the "normal" stand for standard-height bikes, and a special shortened stand, intended for use with the lowered version of this bike. I had one.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

When I took 2" out of the F800, I shortened the center and side-stand....not hard to do.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    For me, leave the steering unlocked, a little lift on the rear and walk with it.
    I would be worried about regularly stressing and eventually breaking the centerstand.

Quote Originally Posted by timtyler View Post
    I would be worried about regularly stressing and eventually breaking the centerstand.
    Any Beemer I've ever owned had crappy sidestands and I have broken a few. Stories there to tell.

Centerstands seem to be pretty robust. I've had bushings wear out but never the stand itself.

There are some bikes out there that the centerstand is PITA but from experience with the Beemers I've owned, you can pretty well be as rough as you want and I have not had any problems.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

Early K bikes - K100, K75 - were known to have center stands that cracked under use. BMW modified them twice to address the problem, and finally designed a completely different cast stand for the 1100 models. BTDT more than once with a K bike stand.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    BTDT more than once with a K bike stand.
    Sorry, I don't know the acronym so I don't know what you mean to say.

Been There, Done That
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    Been There, Done That
    I guess that's just me not putting the 'ol thinking cap on straight today. Makes sense now and now, I have a question; Did you actually cast new side stands?

I've got a pattern to cut sidestands on my lathe and get my buddy with a mill to finish the bike end. The rest, I weld. The bike stands a little more upright and depending, I add a 3/8" bar to prevent the dreaded asphalt plant.

These are almost exclusively for K75's and I've done about 20 or so. The tough part is getting the clutch interlock thingy they do exactly right.

I'm trying to make a pattern for an R1100RT as my sidestand planted itself so deep in the asphalt this summer that the mirror cleared the pavement by about 2". I needed a tow truck to get it out.

Suggestions???

The centerstand is useless on hot asphalt or soft ground but, every night, regardless of which bike I rode that day, I put it on the centerstand. In the morning, check the oil and tires and a quick look around.

Center Stand

I have a 2013 F700GS with factory low suspension (technically an F700GSL) and it came with a center stand.

Quote Originally Posted by pjmaszczak View Post
    I have a 2013 F700GS with factory low suspension (technically an F700GSL) and it came with a center stand.
    Well that may change everything for me then. I was going to go with the regular suspension and low seat so I could get the center stand. If I can get it low suspension with center stand from factory then I wouldn't have to butt cheek off to the left to reach the ground

Back to the dealership......
    Sharon
    #GSGiants
    2012 F650GS twin
    1973 R60/5

Well that may change everything for me then. I was going to go with the regular suspension and low seat so I could get the center stand. If I can get it low suspension with center stand from factory then I wouldn't have to butt cheek off to the left to reach the ground

Back to the dealership......
    Thank you all for your replies. I ordered the center stand at the time I purchased the bike. A center stand came into the parts department a few days later, and they discovered it was a model for the lowered suspension. Today they received the correct one for my bike. So there are two models (Short and regular) of the center stand available from BMW.