• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Question about forum behaviour and banner

happy wanderer

Day Dreaming ...
I notice that the forum posting list behaviour has changed. Message icons used to have cascaded page effect on them and bold lettering in the titles for unread messages. Once you read them they changed to the normal message icon (no cascading) and the bold type went away. This made it easy to tell what you have read and what is a new message. If you read a message and exited back to the list or selected "next thread" at the bottom it would adjust the icon in the list appropriately. This seems to be broken now and no longer works reliably. It does work sometimes but I cannot discern any pattern to the bahaviour. It is just... random. Anyone else noticed this? Is this the right place to report it?

Another thing that is just visual but bugs me as it has been there since this new site software was deployed is the banner. Why does the forum button on the banner look messed up and not formatted correctly? I sent this in and was told it was a cosmetic bug that would be fixed but that was well over a year ago. Here's what it looks like.

MOA banner.jpg

bold lettering in the titles for unread messages. Once you read them they changed to the normal message icon (no cascading) and the bold type went away. This made it easy to tell what you have read and what is a new message.
Another thing that is just visual but bugs me as it has been there since this new site software was deployed is the banner. Why does the forum button on the banner look messed up and not formatted correctly? I sent this in and was told it was a cosmetic bug that would be fixed but that was well over a year ago. Here's what it looks like.

View attachment 44116

The bold text for unread messages has never been reliable for me.
The banner does not seem to be able to adjust for small or square screens. On my 10" Netbook "Forum" covers "Flea Market" . My 17" laptop has some overlap of Forum and Flea Market. On my 23" widescreen monitor the banner looks good.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but will give it a try. It appears to me that (you didn't mention what you were viewing on) your computer is set to a minus 100% for the screen. This effect has been reported when the forum has been viewed from a mobil phone or tablet. If you are Windoze based try the control + keys (possibly control -), to increase what you see. Other than that, perhaps I have misunderstood the question.
Gary

Acer tower desktop PC, 21" monitor and it's worse looking normally but that was captured at full screen. I see the same thing on my netbook so it's not the computer or the screen.

Acer tower desktop PC, 21" monitor and it's worse looking normally but that was captured at full screen. I see the same thing on my netbook so it's not the computer or the screen.
Hmmm, does the forum look like this on every computer you look at when you visit the the forum? Is there any of your "start screen" visible along the left and right sides of the forum as you are looking at it? I would check the "display options" of the monitor you are viewing with and try a change of the settings. While you mention that it is "not the computer or the screen", normally this would happen on a smaller screen (netbook) and on a 21" monitor if the settings were off.
The display is "squeezing" the data causing you to see the forum button on top of the contact button and the monitor is displaying the "squeezed" data.
Again, an easy way to check is for you to take a look from another computer (from a family member, work or library) and see how it looks.
OM

The issue is definitely the amount of zoom and/or screen resolution you are running. Below is my screen at 200% and 150%...I'm running a 23" Dell flat panel with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Normally I view at 150%. The 200% level has to wrap or squeeze to fit everything.

Attachments

• MOABanners.jpg
    MOABanners.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 70
If you are Windoze based try the control + keys (possibly control -), to increase what you see. Other than that, perhaps I have misunderstood the question.
Gary

I see the banner does not fit on my work 19" monitors. If I view at 75% the banner fits but then all the text is too small to read.
I've just learned to ignore the problem with the banner.

After looking at a few threads, if you reload the threads page, the font changes in the thread name and you can easily see which ones you viewed.

After looking at a few threads, if you reload the threads page, the font changes in the thread name and you can easily see which ones you viewed.

Yep I've noticed that it does that (sometimes) but I don't think it's the correct behaviour. It used to update whenever you returned to the thread list in whatever category you were in.

Thanks Omega Man and Kurt. Your replies got me thinking about settings and testing. I have been using Extra Large Fonts (saves me wearing glasses at the PC), full 1680 X 1050 resolution and 120 DPI. I switched the obvious one (dpi setting) back to what most people use 96TPI and here is the result in full screen, no zoom.
moa2.jpg

You can see the Contact overlay problem goes away however the "Forum" button still looks wrong. No matter, it works anyway I suppose but indicative of page format issues.

Also tried decreasing font size down to Large Fonts and norma (the smallest) but only the text size changes and the banner is essentially the same.
Thanks for the comments. I think this is a web design thing as most other pages I use often scale properly no matter what monitor settings I use. I'm sure some vBulletin guru would know what's going on here but it's above my pay grade. :)

I'm not sure I'm following what you mean here? What do you mean it looks wrong... :dunno

All the other selections are normally blue with white text however the "Forum" selection is a white background with black text and it's sitting on top of the Contacts selection. Also the top edge of the blue banner is protruding above the rest of the line. It just looks.... weird.

Notice when I changed to 96DPI the background colours on the banner changed to gray.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 17.0.1 on Windows XP Pro if that makes any difference but it shouldn't.

All the other selections are normally blue with white text however the "Forum" selection is a white background with black text and it's sitting on top of the Contacts selection. Also the top edge of the blue banner is protruding above the rest of the line. It just looks.... weird.

With the Forum button selected, the software reverses colors or changes to whatever the skin requirements are...same for the text...it changes from white to black to show you that you have that item elected. Unfortunately, if you click on any of the other buttons along the top menu, you go to a completely different screen, namely either the MOA homepage or the Flea Market. Those other buttons would probably also show the same color changes as the Forum button, but it gets overridden by the new website format which is way different than the forum layout.

Notice when I changed to 96DPI the background colours on the banner changed to gray.

I think you're just getting into screen resolution and pixels that change as the resolution changes.

With the Forum button selected, the software reverses colors or changes to whatever the skin requirements are...same for the text...it changes from white to black to show you that you have that item elected. Unfortunately, if you click on any of the other buttons along the top menu, you go to a completely different screen, namely either the MOA homepage or the Flea Market. Those other buttons would probably also show the same color changes as the Forum button, but it gets overridden by the new website format which is way different than the forum layout.

I think you're just getting into screen resolution and pixels that change as the resolution changes.

Interesting that others see completely different results than I am. When I select say the Calendar or Home page the button for that gets a large red box around white text. I just did the same thing in MS Exploiter and the same thing happens. Anyway, it's not a big deal. Just wondering about the behaviour of our vBulletin forum and the site in general. As soon as the weather improves I'll hopefully do more wandering and less wondering. ;) Thanks for the info.

MJM -

What you're seeing is the two different websites/software that I was talking about. The forum is a vBulletin product. Everything you see on the screen is a function of the skin that is selected. Right now, there's only one skin or layout available to everyone. We're experimenting with alternate skins and colors...we might even consider "buying" skins for use. Something for the future. But the Flea Market or if you click Home, you get to a different software package...not vBulletin...and under a different layout control. It's just that simple.

But this "difference" you're seeing has been there for quite some time.

Okey Dokey. You are right about the time. It's been there since vBulletin was deployed. I wrote Vince about it long ago. Nothing happened. Thought I'd see what the deal was now. As I said it's just a cosmetic thing I wondered about. Does not really affect functionality. Thanks again for all the replies. I'm gonna go rotate the bikes in the shed now... maybe do a little trickle charging.

test run

Okey Dokey. You are right about the time. It's been there since vBulletin was deployed. I wrote Vince about it long ago. Nothing happened. Thought I'd see what the deal was now. As I said it's just a cosmetic thing I wondered about. Does not really affect functionality. Thanks again for all the replies. I'm gonna go rotate the bikes in the shed now... maybe do a little trickle charging.

Just want to see if I am adding a signature when posting..

Back