• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200GS ('05) Speedo & rear brake -What's the connection?

cweld1119

While riding a debris covered paved path yesterday a stick got wedged into the brake pedel. Easily removed. Thereafter I got the flashing brake warning light and a dead speedo/odometer. Front brake is fine though no rear brake. Fluid level seems fine. Where do I start? Anyone else had a similar experience?

Inspect the wire to the rear wheel speed sensor. Looks like a black rubber plug on the top left side of your final drive. Inputs from that sensor activate the speedometer and ABS system. Sounds like the wire might have been torn loose.

Chris, the same sensor that measures rear wheel rotation for ABS operation (the brake tie in) supplies the signal for the speedo. The wire is routed down the plastic tube/cover on top of the paralever torque arm. The sensor looks like this (the view is with rear and brake caliper removed).

p-122141429-3240-XL.jpg

That's just to give you and idea of where it is. I don't think you need to remove anything to follow the wire as best you can. There is a connector -- I think close to the rear of the transmission, not sure -- that might have come loose.

Back