Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2014 RT Suburban Machinery DL3 Drop Peg Kit

  1. #1
    Kajun-Flyer wppatin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lafayette,La
    Posts
    42

    2014 RT Suburban Machinery DL3 Drop Peg Kit

    image.jpg

    I had contacted both Suburban Machinery and Creative Concepts to find out if their peg lower kits would work on the 2014 RT's. Creative concepts said no but that they had not attempted an install to date. Suburban answered back "Yes" almost immediately that the DL3 kit for the 2005 thru 2013 RT's would fit the 2014's, was skeptical with the quick response they gave with no additional information.

    My only complaints with the 2014 RT so far is with the Ergo's for all day touring. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam with a bad back, 3 degrees of forward lean with the angles in my hips and knees was making anything beyond a hour and a half just plain hard.

    No bar backs are available at this time with the new one piece steering head on the 2014 RT so I m trying to open my legs up without having to raise the seat height. On my 2009 RT I installed the Suburban Risers, and a Russell Day Long seat and ended up with an with a 0 degree lean and about 1" of additional leg room.

    With the DL 3 kit installed I have the leg room now, planning on a Rick Mayer seat and will try to not raise the seat height much beyond the stock height. The first thought of going with the Russell agin but after talking with Rick he believes that the Russell Spring system is not necessary for riders weighting less than 210 pounds. Full riding gear my weight in under 190. Will install a Bakup next week and hope that will get me in a position that I can do 500+ mile days when needed.

    I have not repositioned the shifter and Brake lever, they seem just fine as is after I finished the install. The total installation was quick and took only 30 minutes start to finish. The hardest part of the install was getting the spring back into position.

    I'm sure there is some decrease in ground clearance but I went out and ran my favorite twisties and never felt even close to dragging a peg. This is a nice improvement for me in the new RT's Long Distance a Comfort Factor.
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T

  2. #2
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,300
    I too have called them and they were pretty sure the DL3 would fit '14 models, but they had not completed their fine measurements at that time. Glad to see they fit per your attempt. I've already pulled mine from my '13...'14 should be here in two weeks. Thanks.
    F850GS

    MOA #46783

  3. #3
    Thank you for posting your install. I purchased a new '14 rt a couple of weeks ago and find I need to lower the footpegs. Question ... since you did not purchase the extended shiftlever and you feel the pedals don't require re-positioning, I'm curious as to your foot size ( my boot size is 11) and if that would make a difference one way or the other. I'm 5'11 and the regular seat in the low position is fine, it's the knees that start hurting after a couple of hours.

  4. #4
    Kajun-Flyer wppatin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lafayette,La
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket View Post
    Thank you for posting your install. I purchased a new '14 rt a couple of weeks ago and find I need to lower the footpegs. Question ... since you did not purchase the extended shiftlever and you feel the pedals don't require re-positioning, I'm curious as to your foot size ( my boot size is 11) and if that would make a difference one way or the other. I'm 5'11 and the regular seat in the low position is fine, it's the knees that start hurting after a couple of hours.
    I did not purchase the extended shift lever, but looking at the shift lever on the 2014 I'm not sure it the same as 2005 - 2013 RT's but that's based on memory not measurement. Our configuration are identical, 5'11" and I wear a size 10, it did not feel awkward in anyway same same with the brake pedal position. A little more riding should let me form a better opinion. I think the shift lever looks to be mount differently but I have not had detailed look. As far as the brake not sure I would attempt the adjustment on the linkage on brand new bike. If I feel the need I will most likely have the BMW shop do it.
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T

  5. #5
    To follow up ...

    Thank you for posting the Suburban Machinery DL3 drop peg kit info for your new '14 R1200RT.

    I purchased a set for my '14RT and they arrived in three days and fit perfectly. As stated, I found no need to reposition either the brake arm or shifter. The install would of only been about twenty min but the springs required about an extra 30 min (tricky little devils) to re-seat. The springs are the most difficult part as the first had a long learning curve and the second went right on quickly. All in all a great product, fast service, works as advertised and I highly recomend the DL3 peg kit to anyone experiencing knee pain or just needs lower pegs.

  6. #6
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,300

    NCAA Wrench time

    Since I'm only able to work on the new '14 RT during halftimes..I was able to mount my DL3's right foot peg's lowering block so far. I'll do left side next halftime...or between games? Went on fairly easy and really see no need to adjust the brake lever.

    Now 2 hours later and left side is on...easy to mount. Did find it necessary to adjust shifter height. Much easier to do on this '14 than the older models...adjusting nuts hanging right out in the open (older models stucked away).

    Shifter peg extender (cover) went on fine so no difference in rubber peg shift diameter than before.

    Now to determine how I'll mount the rear fender Roundel/bracket since the fender holes now run horizontally. May be on the extended fender piece...by drilling some appropriate holes?
    Last edited by Motodan; 03-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    F850GS

    MOA #46783

  7. #7
    Insatiable Cruiser rtwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    102
    Just picked up a new '17 RT. The pegs are higher than my '05. I bought peg extenders for the '05 and didn't like the way the bike turned with them. Scraping possible but the problem for me was that I couldn't use my legs in the corners. I think those things will be perfect for this bike. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

    Before I buy them again, are they really working out for you guys?

    Cheers!
    2017 R1200RT; Carbon Black; all the goodies...no mods yet!
    -2005 R1200RT; Black repaint; Wilbers adj. susp; Bar-baks; Sargent seats; 94K 6/2018.
    -2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R; 20K 6/2018

  8. #8
    Registered User littlebriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Harbor Beach, Michigan
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
    Before I buy them again, are they really working out for you guys?
    Cheers!
    I had a pair on my '16 RT. They worked perfectly and the quality was excellent. You'll probably need to get adjustable brake and shift levers as well.
    I had to take them off after I lowered the suspension because they scraped rather easily. No problems with lean angles with the stock ride height though.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

  9. #9
    Registered User TGA57589's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington, Utah
    Posts
    125

    2019 R1250 RT accessory advice

    Just ordered Machineart Moto front fender extender for my '19 R1250RT to keep the slop off the motor. I also talked to the nice young lady from Suburban Machine and ordered their foot peg lowering block as as well. I had their blocks on my 2007 RT and was happy to purchase a set for this machine. Getting Wunderlich crash bars for engine protection and they are stupid $$$ but I had them on the '07 and they are a work of art. I guess the tube bender they us is a CNC like everyone else uses today but it's worth the cost to have farkles that are that just right fit.

  10. #10
    DesmoDerek desmoderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by wppatin View Post
    image.jpg

    I had contacted both Suburban Machinery and Creative Concepts to find out if their peg lower kits would work on the 2014 RT's. Creative concepts said no but that they had not attempted an install to date. Suburban answered back "Yes" almost immediately that the DL3 kit for the 2005 thru 2013 RT's would fit the 2014's, was skeptical with the quick response they gave with no additional information.

    My only complaints with the 2014 RT so far is with the Ergo's for all day touring. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam with a bad back, 3 degrees of forward lean with the angles in my hips and knees was making anything beyond a hour and a half just plain hard.

    No bar backs are available at this time with the new one piece steering head on the 2014 RT so I m trying to open my legs up without having to raise the seat height. On my 2009 RT I installed the Suburban Risers, and a Russell Day Long seat and ended up with an with a 0 degree lean and about 1" of additional leg room.

    With the DL 3 kit installed I have the leg room now, planning on a Rick Mayer seat and will try to not raise the seat height much beyond the stock height. The first thought of going with the Russell agin but after talking with Rick he believes that the Russell Spring system is not necessary for riders weighting less than 210 pounds. Full riding gear my weight in under 190. Will install a Bakup next week and hope that will get me in a position that I can do 500+ mile days when needed.

    I have not repositioned the shifter and Brake lever, they seem just fine as is after I finished the install. The total installation was quick and took only 30 minutes start to finish. The hardest part of the install was getting the spring back into position.

    I'm sure there is some decrease in ground clearance but I went out and ran my favorite twisties and never felt even close to dragging a peg. This is a nice improvement for me in the new RT's Long Distance a Comfort Factor.

    I have the Suburban lowering kit on my 2018 RT as I wanted to open the angle behind my knees. I wasn't too bothered about the peg scraping (because in all honesty although I lean pretty hard I weigh 200lb and find even when riding spiritedly I don't grind often at all), but I have moved the front pegs with the 'Hero Blobs' to the rear and moved the passenger pegs to the rider position for more clearance. Coming off a GS I was used to the upright position and high(er) bars offered by ADV bikes, so I ordered and installed the Ilium riser/pull backs to help get the riding position to which my lower back has become accustomed.
    I find that all-day comfort is achievable even with an OE seat.
    Andrew
    MOA # 210167
    Mars Red RT White Multistrada 1200 Enduro Bonbler Black i.e. Bonneville Black Scrambler (carb)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •