• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 RT Suburban Machinery DL3 Drop Peg Kit

wppatin

Kajun-Flyer
image.jpg

I had contacted both Suburban Machinery and Creative Concepts to find out if their peg lower kits would work on the 2014 RT's. Creative concepts said no but that they had not attempted an install to date. Suburban answered back "Yes" almost immediately that the DL3 kit for the 2005 thru 2013 RT's would fit the 2014's, was skeptical with the quick response they gave with no additional information.

My only complaints with the 2014 RT so far is with the Ergo's for all day touring. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam with a bad back, 3 degrees of forward lean with the angles in my hips and knees was making anything beyond a hour and a half just plain hard.

No bar backs are available at this time with the new one piece steering head on the 2014 RT so I m trying to open my legs up without having to raise the seat height. On my 2009 RT I installed the Suburban Risers, and a Russell Day Long seat and ended up with an with a 0 degree lean and about 1" of additional leg room.

With the DL 3 kit installed I have the leg room now, planning on a Rick Mayer seat and will try to not raise the seat height much beyond the stock height. The first thought of going with the Russell agin but after talking with Rick he believes that the Russell Spring system is not necessary for riders weighting less than 210 pounds. Full riding gear my weight in under 190. Will install a Bakup next week and hope that will get me in a position that I can do 500+ mile days when needed.

I have not repositioned the shifter and Brake lever, they seem just fine as is after I finished the install. The total installation was quick and took only 30 minutes start to finish. The hardest part of the install was getting the spring back into position.

I'm sure there is some decrease in ground clearance but I went out and ran my favorite twisties and never felt even close to dragging a peg. This is a nice improvement for me in the new RT's Long Distance a Comfort Factor.

I too have called them and they were pretty sure the DL3 would fit '14 models, but they had not completed their fine measurements at that time. Glad to see they fit per your attempt. I've already pulled mine from my '13...'14 should be here in two weeks. Thanks.

Thank you for posting your install. I purchased a new '14 rt a couple of weeks ago and find I need to lower the footpegs. Question ... since you did not purchase the extended shiftlever and you feel the pedals don't require re-positioning, I'm curious as to your foot size ( my boot size is 11) and if that would make a difference one way or the other. I'm 5'11 and the regular seat in the low position is fine, it's the knees that start hurting after a couple of hours.

Thank you for posting your install. I purchased a new '14 rt a couple of weeks ago and find I need to lower the footpegs. Question ... since you did not purchase the extended shiftlever and you feel the pedals don't require re-positioning, I'm curious as to your foot size ( my boot size is 11) and if that would make a difference one way or the other. I'm 5'11 and the regular seat in the low position is fine, it's the knees that start hurting after a couple of hours.

I did not purchase the extended shift lever, but looking at the shift lever on the 2014 I'm not sure it the same as 2005 - 2013 RT's but that's based on memory not measurement. Our configuration are identical, 5'11" and I wear a size 10, it did not feel awkward in anyway same same with the brake pedal position. A little more riding should let me form a better opinion. I think the shift lever looks to be mount differently but I have not had detailed look. As far as the brake not sure I would attempt the adjustment on the linkage on brand new bike. If I feel the need I will most likely have the BMW shop do it.

To follow up ...

Thank you for posting the Suburban Machinery DL3 drop peg kit info for your new '14 R1200RT.

I purchased a set for my '14RT and they arrived in three days and fit perfectly. As stated, I found no need to reposition either the brake arm or shifter. The install would of only been about twenty min but the springs required about an extra 30 min (tricky little devils) to re-seat. The springs are the most difficult part as the first had a long learning curve and the second went right on quickly. All in all a great product, fast service, works as advertised and I highly recomend the DL3 peg kit to anyone experiencing knee pain or just needs lower pegs.

NCAA Wrench time

Since I'm only able to work on the new '14 RT during halftimes..I was able to mount my DL3's right foot peg's lowering block so far. I'll do left side next halftime...or between games? Went on fairly easy and really see no need to adjust the brake lever.

Now 2 hours later and left side is on...easy to mount. Did find it necessary to adjust shifter height. Much easier to do on this '14 than the older models...adjusting nuts hanging right out in the open (older models stucked away).

Shifter peg extender (cover) went on fine so no difference in rubber peg shift diameter than before.

Now to determine how I'll mount the rear fender Roundel/bracket since the fender holes now run horizontally. May be on the extended fender piece...by drilling some appropriate holes?

Last edited:
Just picked up a new '17 RT. The pegs are higher than my '05. I bought peg extenders for the '05 and didn't like the way the bike turned with them. Scraping possible but the problem for me was that I couldn't use my legs in the corners. I think those things will be perfect for this bike. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

Before I buy them again, are they really working out for you guys?

Cheers!

Before I buy them again, are they really working out for you guys?
Cheers!
I had a pair on my '16 RT. They worked perfectly and the quality was excellent. You'll probably need to get adjustable brake and shift levers as well.
I had to take them off after I lowered the suspension because they scraped rather easily. No problems with lean angles with the stock ride height though.

2019 R1250 RT accessory advice

Just ordered Machineart Moto front fender extender for my '19 R1250RT to keep the slop off the motor. I also talked to the nice young lady from Suburban Machine and ordered their foot peg lowering block as as well. I had their blocks on my 2007 RT and was happy to purchase a set for this machine. Getting Wunderlich crash bars for engine protection and they are stupid $$$ but I had them on the '07 and they are a work of art. I guess the tube bender they us is a CNC like everyone else uses today but it's worth the cost to have farkles that are that just right fit.

View attachment 44096

I had contacted both Suburban Machinery and Creative Concepts to find out if their peg lower kits would work on the 2014 RT's. Creative concepts said no but that they had not attempted an install to date. Suburban answered back "Yes" almost immediately that the DL3 kit for the 2005 thru 2013 RT's would fit the 2014's, was skeptical with the quick response they gave with no additional information.

My only complaints with the 2014 RT so far is with the Ergo's for all day touring. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam with a bad back, 3 degrees of forward lean with the angles in my hips and knees was making anything beyond a hour and a half just plain hard.

No bar backs are available at this time with the new one piece steering head on the 2014 RT so I m trying to open my legs up without having to raise the seat height. On my 2009 RT I installed the Suburban Risers, and a Russell Day Long seat and ended up with an with a 0 degree lean and about 1" of additional leg room.

With the DL 3 kit installed I have the leg room now, planning on a Rick Mayer seat and will try to not raise the seat height much beyond the stock height. The first thought of going with the Russell agin but after talking with Rick he believes that the Russell Spring system is not necessary for riders weighting less than 210 pounds. Full riding gear my weight in under 190. Will install a Bakup next week and hope that will get me in a position that I can do 500+ mile days when needed.

I have not repositioned the shifter and Brake lever, they seem just fine as is after I finished the install. The total installation was quick and took only 30 minutes start to finish. The hardest part of the install was getting the spring back into position.

I'm sure there is some decrease in ground clearance but I went out and ran my favorite twisties and never felt even close to dragging a peg. This is a nice improvement for me in the new RT's Long Distance a Comfort Factor.

I have the Suburban lowering kit on my 2018 RT as I wanted to open the angle behind my knees. I wasn't too bothered about the peg scraping (because in all honesty although I lean pretty hard I weigh 200lb and find even when riding spiritedly I don't grind often at all), but I have moved the front pegs with the 'Hero Blobs' to the rear and moved the passenger pegs to the rider position for more clearance. Coming off a GS I was used to the upright position and high(er) bars offered by ADV bikes, so I ordered and installed the Ilium riser/pull backs to help get the riding position to which my lower back has become accustomed.
I find that all-day comfort is achievable even with an OE seat.

Back