• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recall Letters

2009 RT, notice arrived on 4/5/2014. I am so frightened by this demonic two wheeled self combustible beast, that I had to immediately remove it from my garage and place it in a local gravel pit, away from any items that it could destroy. The local volunteer fire company is on call and they promise to be gentle when they practice on it.

Can this problem be looked at easily, or do you have to take a lot of the bike apart to see the problem? I have an 2008 GSA.

My wife and I recieved our recall letters today.

We too...have there been many complaints about the flange on the S? I only know of them on the GS even though it's the same/similar flange.

Since my fuel pump gave way 2 years ago, my dealer wants me bring it in, to see if new fuel pump is on or old style.

Sportland in Urbana. Aaron is the mechanic there and is very good. He used to be at Twin City.

Curious how you fantasize you know this.

Are you certain the reinforcing ring BMW proposes to use has always been in the parts system?

Are you certain there has always been an official BMW procedure for reinforcement?

Are you sure the parts system has always included enough replacement fuel pumps to cover this exercise?

Kent, I think you may have missed the point. And there is no fantasy to it, you just need to use a little common sense. I'm just saying that if you take your bike in for service tell them about the recall, or show them the recall letter and ask about a fix. If the dealer tells you they have not heard of the recall, or that they don't have the parts then obviously you aren't going to get the fix. But on the other hand, if you want to sit by the mailbox waiting for the letter you should take a good book. You might be there for a while. BMW has had a good bit of time to come up with the repairs and parts. The defect goes back to the 2005 year model R and Ks. We also know that BMW has been repairing the defect after leaks occur both under warranty and outside warranty. Back in January photos of a fix were seen in post #14 of the following post. We're not talking rocket science.

I just hope the bikes get repaired before someone gets hurt. BMW's been on notice for a good while and a response like we're still waiting on the parts and an authorized fix would sound fairly lame in a cause of action based on injury or wrongful death.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...uel-pump-flange-fuel-pump&highlight=fuel+leak

E.

I haven't seen anyone mention the F700 side stand recall, but just received my recall letter to take it in for the switch..... I'll stop by Gateway on Tuesday and find out when parts will be available.... Going for a 3-4x mile in about 5 weeks so I'd sure like to have it changed out before leaving.......

FWIW

I just spoke to my local dealer regarding a service, not recall on my bike, and he said they are so swamped with bikes they are over a month out on work. He said the parts are in, but the recall effects so many bikes they just don't have enough manpower to do the work in a timely fashion.

Got my second recall letter the other day. Also got a phone call from my dealer asking me to bring the bike in for the recall. Appointment is for 0900hrs 5/21/14

I had my fuel pump assembly replaced under the recall and they also found that my fuel pump controller was ready to fail as the potting compound was compromised and the circuit board was extruding itself out of the housing. This is the second FPC to do that on me. I also had replaced the fuel pump assembly 3 years ago on my own dime due to cracking. Hopefully, the new design will fix that issue. The bill showed .7 hrs of labor in addition to the fuel pump assembly part. (no charge to me)

The recall was handled without issue by Victory BMW in Chandler, AZ.

This "fix" does not fix the problem, just makes it less likely. The pump does not have to crack around its end, it can crack in the middle.

Wonder I don't get recall letters...

My '09 1200GS is on the list and I still haven't received the letter. Never got one for the brake line
recall either; that was caught a year after the fact when I took the bike in for service.

Fuel Pump Recall - Great Service!

When I called to make the service appointment to check my bike for the fuel pump recall letter I had received, Jon Ross, the Service Manager, at my dealer (Capitol BMW) told me that he had ordered the fuel pump in advance, in case it was needed. Upon inspection at the service appointment, the technican discovered that the flange was cracked and the fuel pump did indeed need to be replaced. Since the fuel pump was already at the shop, I did not need to make a follow-up appointment.

Kudos to Jon Ross, the Service Manager and Jason Rouse, the Technician at Capitol BMW! They are fantastic. We are fortunate to have such a great dealership in Raleigh. They have recently moved into a new facility that features not only BMW, but KTM, Ducati and Husqvarna, as well. The new dealership name is Garcia Moto, after Garrett Garcia, the owner. He is always friendly with customers and greets you each time you are at the dealership.

I read posts from other members saying how bad the service is at their dealership, but I think it is only fair to recognize the great people at outstanding dealerships.

Bill

It is fair to recognize them and it should happen.

This is only obviously good business practice, and I'm frankly suspicious of reports of unfriendly dealers. If they're that way for long, they'll be out of business, and it's simply fantasy to believe they can survive with an unfriendly approach to everyone.

Life is a self-fulfilling prophecy and the friendliness of service received is a function of friendliness expected.

Back