• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

U-Joint Failure - R1200R 2007 33K mlles

Thanks, Nate. At this point, I think I'll continue on with the new piece, but I'm considering getting a spare driveshaft to keep wrapped on a shelf - thanks, Don - to ensure my bike isn't so long immobilized if this occurs again in the future.

David

Well, we went in together on the gs911, we should go in on a spare shaft and have it ready to ship if necessary.

Conrad

When I saw the pieces, the swingarm had been dropped. I trust that the shop wouldn't have done that work if the driveshaft could have been removed with the swingarm in place.

I remember hearing about your spare driveshaft. Keeping it packaged for shipping is great prep.
Another chap in our club keeps a spare rear-drive packed and ready to ship.. :) Between the two of us - we have drive problems pretty much covered..

Don, the whole swingarm must come off as the shaft won't fit through the end of it. Thankfully it's not that hard to take the whole swingarm off.

To the OP, the driveshaft you have is the same part number as an R1200RT, so that one I linked to you on ebay would work. If I were you, I would buy the one on ebay for $270 and send it to http://www.machineservice.com/ and have them put on the more durable and serviceable U-joints (they quoted me $250 for that last time I called). Then for under $600 you will have a drive shaft that I'd trust more than a new $900 one.

I also may be parting out my friend's '07 R1200RT that has the drive shaft I had sent to Bruno's in it. That also has the heavier duty serviceable U-joints.

Hi Nate - the reason I asked - apparently on a GS - you can R&R the shaft without swingarm removal... Problem is - I doubt if I have the tools on the bike to R&R the swingarm. Would mean an emergency trip to Harbor Freight if it happened on the road.

Back