• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'82 r100rs

happy wanderer

Day Dreaming ...
The rear shocks on my bike are failing. They are actually Taiwanese knock offs I bought under duress a few years ago and knew they would not last. I still have the original OEM shocks the bike came with. They were removed due to soft springs and the usual wear. No idea if they ever leaked or that sort of trouble but don't think so. I am looking for some advice on the options.

- I am not sure if these OEM shocks can be rebuilt but I did read here someone is doing that. Brunos maybe?
- Any suggestions on alternative to OEM replacments?

With 3 running bikes I am trying to keep costs down and do most of my own work but I can't rebuild shocks, that's for sure!

We've had some recent discussion of shocks. Years ago, I changed to Koni's which are no longer made. But the form/fit/function replacement is from Ikon...they got all the rights, etc., and are basically selling the same thing. There's Wilburs, Ohlins, YSS, and probably several others...Bob's as you suggest which I have no experience with. Likely I'll buy a set of Ikon's as my replacements. They should be rebuildable. There are some resource links available to show how that is done.

I purchased a set of IKON's last summer, based upon the advice of Kurt and others like Kurt's above, and am very satisfied. Mine (original OEM - 35 years old) were totally shot, and after fiddling with them (they were not rebuildable) to no avail, I decided to buy. The IKON's were $380.00 pair, and the person (whose name I forget, think it was Dave Gardner) was so helpful that I almost couldn't get him to quit being helpful! Also, these IKON's are rebuildable.

go to: http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/ and click on the "shop"

Here is link to the ones ( I think) for your bike: http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/pr...cs-r100rs-r100rt-r1007-r100s-dual-shocks-bmw/

For me, money was an issue. There were more expensive ones, and maybe they are better, but these are great in my (humble) opinion.

I did three things at the same time: 1) disassembled front forks, completely cleaned and reassembled with new quality fork oil, and 2) put on two new OEM sized tires, and 3) purchased IKON's for rear shocks.

The bike ran like a new one!

At least take a look at YSS before you decide. The Eco line gas shocks list for $299 or the Z series for a bit more if you want rebound damping. EPM Performance sells them and (I think) so does Rubber Chicken Racing.

Barron

On my /7, I have Progressive springs on the front, and Progressive shocks (18 series, aluminum bodies, with heavy duty springs and adjustable rebound damping) on the rear. I like both quite a bit- especially the heavier springs on the rear, since I ride two up with my wife regularly. I've been using both for a number of years now and have found them to be good quality. They are rebuildable. They have held up well over 10 years.

On my RS, I have Koni shocks on the rear (standard springs, adjustable damping). It also has Progressive springs on the front (like 'em on this one, too). I like the Konis quite a bit (maybe better than the Progressive shocks, although I don't have many miles on the bike yet). I saw at the Salem rally there was an Icon representative and they rebuild the old Konis when needed as Kurt and others have mentioned.

That said, when it came time to rebuild my Progressive shocks/springs a couple of years back, I did not have an easy time working with the company- largely they were not helpful and I had to return the set up to them after they sent the shocks to me "rebuilt" with the old rusty springs still installed (the springs were supposed to be covered under warranty and replaced at the time of service). They also sent me an incomplete order when I ordered the heavy springs and adjusters. The lead tech was rude and generally disinterested in helping me. After several calls, I did finally locate a helpful tech, and with his help I eventually bought the parts and spring compressor and set them up myself (which was pretty straightforward).

Service is something I would consider when making my selection, particularly if you plan to keep them and rebuild later.

Thanks for all this great input guys. I was about to pull the trigger on Ikon shocks as they seem to have upheld the good reputation Koni had and they are serviceable. I took another look on Bobs BMW page and noticed they were closing out the replica shocks I saw back at the Redmond Rally. There was one pair left from the display case they were disposing of at $125 for the pair. Seemed hard to believe but got my attention~ :ear After a quick call to make sure they fit and were in acceptable condition I decided to take a chance on them. Couldn't pass up on a deal like that and hopefully they are up to snuff.

One other pair from the display case but dented:
Bob's Replica Shocks (pair) Black for 1972-73 /5 LWB Price: $125.00

There are two others on closeout from stock as well:
Bob's Replica Shocks (pair) for 1979-84 R65 & R65LS (Was $259!) Price: $159.00
and
Bob's Replica Shocks (pair) for 1970-72 /5 SWB (Was $299!) Price: $199.00

As an aside I thought Bob's had discounts for MOA members but apparently not the case! Kind of surprised me to hear that.

Thanks Wanderer, I went on line and purchased the black blems for $125 for my /5
Couldn't pass it up.
Now I just hope it warns up soon.

Thanks Wanderer, I went on line and purchased the black blems for $125 for my /5
Couldn't pass it up.
Now I just hope it warns up soon.

Nice! Pretty hard to pass up such an offer. I am hoping they are decent quality and last longer than the cheap ones I had on there which were very disappointing. But even if they last four or five years hey, the price was right. While I wonder why Bob's is dropping the line I recall speaking with Bob at the Redmond rally about them and he was very pleased with the quality and performance. Even then he said for the money you can't beat them and they match the OEM look so worth a try I figure. I hope to get the originals rebuilt someday if possible.

Nice! Pretty hard to pass up such an offer. I am hoping they are decent quality and last longer than the cheap ones I had on there which were very disappointing. But even if they last four or five years hey, the price was right. While I wonder why Bob's is dropping the line I recall speaking with Bob at the Redmond rally about them and he was very pleased with the quality and performance. Even then he said for the money you can't beat them and they match the OEM look so worth a try I figure. I hope to get the originals rebuilt someday if possible.

I don't think the originals are re-buildable. And even if they were, the original BMW shocks were pretty bad when new. I don't know who would want them as they rode pretty bad.

Back