• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who has the longest commute?

Depends...

...and sometimes you need 'em. My commute from my house in suburban Chicago to the Loop, about 16 miles, can easily take an hour and a half, to an hour 45.....or, once-in-awhile, twenty minutes. But mostly 40 minutes to an hour and a half. Or sometimes an hour, or an hour ten. Sometimes I practice slow riding technique, and sometimes the cars I've just passed illegally splitting lanes (IK IK, but I used to live in CA), honk furiously behind me, long after I've moved down the road and into one of the many open spaces in front of texters, phone talkers, newspaper-readers, pantyhose-puter-oners and dreamers.

80 miles RT, 5 days/week from Solvang, CA to Goleta, CA....either via San Marcos Pass by Lake Cachuma or via Hwy 101 by the Beautiful Blue Pacific....either way i see water and wonderful views....been commuting this way for 13 years since i moved from Santa Barbara, the American Rivera....:)

i'd rather....

(which required him to drive through Toronto,Ontario).

.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather drive thru Kabul, Beirut, and Baghdad...on the same day

140 miles round trip

I was making a ride on the slab around Chicago 70 miles, each way, each day. Thankfully those days are over.

Wow, not much activity on this thread but my ride (round trip) is 84 miles. First seven leaving the house is rural, then slab, and then one mile off of the slab in city traffic to the office. (reverse for the ride home :) )

42 miles roundtrip

42 miles round-trip when I get to ride. I got to ride to work one week in January, which is very rare here.:thumb Back to snow and ice for now.:banghead

54 miles roundtrip; I ride year around sans snow/ice, when my heated gear is not working :banghead and it's below 35. Looking forward to better weather and more seat time soon!

Wayne C.
05 R1200RT

360 miles each way

Well looks like I may be the winner so far. My Commute is 360 miles each way so 720 round trip. Live in St. George, UT and work as a Fireman in Lancaster, CA. LA County. Actually rode in last night for a 24hr shift and headed home in the morning.

You do seem to be the king of the commute:jawdrop

There has to be a back story to that set up:scratch

You do seem to be the king of the commute:jawdrop

There has to be a back story to that set up:scratch

I realize it seems crazy to most people but we work 24hr shifts. I trade my days around so I typically work a 4 on 8 off shift. So I'll work a 96hr shift then go home for 8 days. I'm not going back and forth everyday. The 2 other Engineers at the station I work at commute also. One lives in Boise, ID the other in Houston, TX. We have a bunch of Firemen commuting from out of state. Not uncommon around here. I was born and raised in St. George and there isn't a better place to raise a family in my opinion so the small inconvenience of my commute is well worth it.

I was thinking the 8 on -8 off shifts as I have a few water squirter buddies...Don't get many "callouts" like power linemen do. They frowned on me moving too far out of town:dunno
Good for you...the guy in Houston however...wow!

83 miles one way five to seven days a week. I travel from Ortonville, MI to Lansing, MI. Lots of easy-going slab and farm fields. 76000+ miles on my 1999 R1100RT and increasing almost daily, for now.

Depending on whether I start in the bedroom or the kitchen it is about 15 steps to the desk. But that isn't really a commute because I retired 10 years ago. But from the house to the shop is at least 250 feet, but that too isn't a commute unless fixing my own bike, or Voni's is a "job".

When I did last work it was 42 miles each way - Mon-Fri - but that hardly counts now days.

There are folks that work in the AK North Slope oil fields that live in Oklahoma and Tennessee (maybe some that live further away as well). That's about a 4000 mile commute, one way. Of course they don't do it everyday. Most work six weeks on, six weeks off.

Mine is 50 miles, one way, on back roads, with over 60 traffic lights, or 70 miles, one way, interstate. No good option for me.

72 Miles each way (144 round) 5 days a week. Live in Gainsville VA. and commute to Fort Meade MD. All the joys of DC traffic - 66 to 495 to 32...:banghead

Back