• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Roadside help - like AAA for motorcycle

SCBuckeye

I have been tossing over the idea of purchasing a motorcycle roadside assistance program. I am not a member of AAA or Allstate, but I checked into both of them abput 2 weeks ago. Both AAA and Allstate require one to be a member of their automobile roadside program to have a motorcycle included. To me AAA's price was out of sight as I really don't want to purchase any auto program. Allstate was somewhat better with several packages, both must include auto roadside package, and was priced better. Allstate is my insurer, too.

However I am interested in the roadside program offered by the MOA. I called about it, and it seems like it is pretty good, and the price is right to MOA members.

Can anyone chime in who has used this MOA roadside program and let me know how you liked it. Did you ever need the service? Was it satisfactory? Were there any negative experiences. I am not interested in starting a "bashing" of it, but just would like serious input as to what you liked or didn't like.

Thanks,

We have had Allstate RV - purchased either as part of a KOA or Good Sam membership for around $100 a year. One key feature that is critical to me is that the program will tow to "the nearest qualified service facility" as opposed to a 60 or 100 or 40 or whatever mile limitation. We ride mostly in the west where it may be a few hundred miles to a BMW shop. Whether that is important depends on where you live and where you ride, but a 100 mile limit is almost useless where we typically ride.

We also have the Allstate RV plan; based on Paul's recommendation. You get a KOA membership with it and other deals as well. Even comes with bail money. I had occasion to use it once for lockout assistance and they were very responsive. It is good for any vehicle you are in, even as a passenger.

AMA Raodside

I used AMA road side twice, 50 miles free. I also have a RV and Good Sam Road Service give all vehicles service, I used that once for the RV and when you get a Semi Wrecker to pick you up you are glade you have a plan.

I've used the MOA plan twice -- once for 70 miles from an outlying area, once about 20 miles in-town. Both quite satisfactory.

Progressive

I checked with my insurance agent about getting roadside assistance and found out that I already have it.

http://www.progressive.com/motorcycle/motorcycle-insurance-coverages-roadside/

From their website:

Roadside Assistance

Roadside Assistance coverage provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:

Mechanical or electrical breakdown
Dead battery
Flat tire
Lockout, or lost or stolen keys. (We dispatch a qualified service provider; you only pay for the cost of the keys.)
Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water or other fluids
Entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand within 100 feet of the roadway

This coverage extends to trailers being towed by a motorcycle. Immediate sign and drive assistance means you have no out-of-pocket expenses - just sign the receipt and you're back on your way. Roadside Assistance is available 24/7.

Roadside Assistance can be purchased for less than $1 a month.

Harry

I checked with my insurance agent about getting roadside assistance and found out that I already have it.

http://www.progressive.com/motorcycle/motorcycle-insurance-coverages-roadside/

From their website:

Roadside Assistance

Roadside Assistance coverage provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:

Mechanical or electrical breakdown
Dead battery
Flat tire
Lockout, or lost or stolen keys. (We dispatch a qualified service provider; you only pay for the cost of the keys.)
Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water or other fluids
Entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand within 100 feet of the roadway

This coverage extends to trailers being towed by a motorcycle. Immediate sign and drive assistance means you have no out-of-pocket expenses - just sign the receipt and you're back on your way. Roadside Assistance is available 24/7.

Roadside Assistance can be purchased for less than $1 a month.

Harry

Does one need to be insured by Progressive Insurance to get the motorcycle roadside assistance?

I live fairly close to Progressive's headquarters, but do not use their insurance.

I am covered by about 3 or more different programs.
But have never used any.
The only time I broke down in recent years was in Mexico. And there were some Mexicans nearby with a trailer in an hour or two. And my Mexican insurance reimbursed me.
Plus I also had about 3 offers of truck and trailer, tho' they were a day away.
You know, it's not an adventure 'til something goes wrong.
So what do they say, trust God and trust your ammunition, or something like that?
Oh, do carry a tire patch kit, and a small air pump.
Don't leave the house without it.
dc

I've had the Allstate RV plan for a couple of years and not needed it. I should figure out a way to get the free gas that's included though :)

The Progressive plan's towing description is unclear:

Get towed anywhere within 15 miles?including your home?or to the nearest qualified repair facility.

I've had the Allstate RV plan for a couple of years and not needed it. I should figure out a way to get the free gas that's included though :)

The Progressive plan's towing description is unclear:

The wording you quoted does not match the wording from the web page I gave a link for above.

Harry

roadside asst.

I have Dairyland M/C insurance that has a plan with it. I was towed 120 miles on a Sunday after the Hiawatha Rally. Actually they came with a enclosed trailer and tie downs.

Bernie

Back