• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 r1200rt headlight "left" "right" knob question

Crick0234
hi guys

i turned the wrong knob thinking it was the one to adjust the height of the headlight assembly "up and down" - i was actually turning the "left" and "right" knob.

I dont know what this knob does? i turned it a gazillion times to the left not really noticing much in terms the beam pattern changing, and turned it a gazillion times to the right, also not noticing what changed on the beam pattern?

i even tried staring into the assembly trying to see if any gadgets are parts move but nada?

what does this knob do on US models?

Got no idea except to warn you not to play- folks have pushed these things to and past their intended limit on some models and ended up with an out of adjustment and unadjustable light until repairs were made
If you've identified it properly it does what it says in your manual. movements are small and not nearly as visible as, for example an old style US spring loaded cage adjuster.

You have two knobs??

yup!

the knobs are under the dash, not the one on the DASH for UP/DOWN ones. There's two, one controls "up and down" (it's above the LH lamp) while the RH lamp has a knob that controls "left and right"

allllll sorts of googling only ends up with people saying "teh right one controls left and right." but i have yet to see anyone saying they managed to make it look left or look right. From what i read in the manual, its to basically aim the lights away from oncoming traffic. So say if u take your bike to europe wehre the traffic is on the other side, turning this knob would in effect adjust that?

but i dont see any change at all. i accidently adjusted it, not seeing a difference... and kept adjusting and adjusting and adjusting. it was easy to turn sooooo *shrugg* so i adjusted the opposite direction... and kept adjusting and adjusting. i dont see any change. the RH knob has writing on there that says "MAX 3NM" so i'm assuming there's an END to it where i'll feel some resistance up to 3NM? but havent reached there :/

This is where my paranoia kicks in and i feel like i eff'ed up the lighting but so far, i havent seen any noticeable change (ahaha watch as i go on teh freeway my headlights fall off).

Back