• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stumped - r1150r won't start

Nice outcome on this one. Happy Days for the owner.

Good going guys! This shared knowledge thing really works. :p

Given this issue popped up when the bar risers got installed I guess it's a stretched broken wire and should be easier to find now that you know it's in the kill switch circuit. Broken kill switches are pretty rare, broken wires and bad connections less so.

We have had a couple of '02 R's and have repaired a few others from a broken wire right under the zip-tie location as it leaves the frame towards the controls. Acts like a hinge and really strains the conductors.Some have been way to tight on problem bikes.
I believe you have removed those a bit earlier in your quest.
H's worst one would stall when handlebars were turned all way to left( as in a gas stop/parking mode)... straight and bike ran.Was able to correct in hotel lot that evening by slitting already brittle loom covering and finding the pinched and easily pulled apart green/red or the companion. It had risers when we bought it adding to a bit more strain a that zip-tie I imagine.

Another one acted up in the rain...not an HES issue, but it was opening kill switch ckt as well. I could wiggle the bundle and cause the issue. Once again broken right at the former ziptie location

I was thinking about getting some good silicone insulated wires and redoing most of the wires leading from the handlebars down. Mine is 04 and I cut the zip ties off and wrapped some electrical tape on the "fold" to soften the radius. First time I have a problem I will cut the wires and solder some silicone insulated wires all the way around and new outside cover. Germans and their "biodegradable" wiring.. I have 85 Honda that has wires that look like they just left the factory.

Just took her out for a spin (the bike, not the wife - that's later!) and it runs like a champ. Need to dial in my new Wunderlich wind deflector a little more, but it's a vast improvement and the bar risers are awesome!

Do we really need most of the factory installed zip ties at all? I mean, are they there just for neatness? Is the thought that maybe the wires will get caught on something without them?

A couple of my BMWs had the wires zip tied very tight. Like Hans was yelling to the workers on the line: "Tighter! Tighter!" My R1200C was the worst, and it's well documented those caused electrical breaks on many bikes.

I also recently installed bar risers on my Honda NT and had to remove the heavy zip ties, and the wires do not need any put back on, it all looks fine.

So much for Biogegradable

I was thinking about getting some good silicone insulated wires and redoing most of the wires leading from the handlebars down. Mine is 04 and I cut the zip ties off and wrapped some electrical tape on the "fold" to soften the radius. First time I have a problem I will cut the wires and solder some silicone insulated wires all the way around and new outside cover. Germans and their "biodegradable" wiring.. I have 85 Honda that has wires that look like they just left the factory.

Yeah, we are having huge problems with BMW's up here getting their harnesses eaten by mice and rats - they recommend now parking away from tall grass and shrubs. :scratch
So much for green, what a PITA!

I have already fixed my Jetta under the hood twice as well

Back