Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Stumped - r1150r won't start

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Kill switch?
    So, in a round about way, I was right?

This has got to rank as one of the better outcomes that I've witnessed here (and there's been more than a few). Nicely done to the many wise contributors but congratulations are due for the perseverance of the original poster.

I was rereading the posts and yes you called it first but Doug had the complete procedure to test it
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by DougRaymond View Post
    Your battery is fine, since your lights and horn work normally, and the lights don't even dim when you press the starter.
    Your R1150R wiring should be similar to the R1150RT electrical diagram here:
    http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/

The Kill Switch wiring is the obvious culprit. The diagram shows that the Grn/Red wire from Kill Switch enables the Starter Relay, Motronic Relay and Fuel Pump Relay, at least two of which are not working.

The easiest test for this is to pull the Starter Relay, use a volt meter to look for a +12V response (at any pin, for simplicity) as you press the starter button. You will probably get no response, then you know that the Kill Switch or its wiring is the problem.

It's not the Starter Button or Starter Relay, since that would not be the cause of the Fuel Pump Relay not pulling in.

The mystery is the clock: normally if the Kill Switch or its wiring fails, the RID stays blank- no clock, no fuel level. I would expect these all to be blank. If the clock is truly working then that Grn/Red wire is getting to the Motronic Relay, which must be working OK (you could probe its socket too for +12V appearing when you turn the key on). Further, if the clock is truly working, then your Kill Switch is fine and the problem has to be a break in the Grn/Red wire coming from it.

The diode in the Starter Relay, I believe, is just to form an OR circuit, enabling the Starter Relay if either in neutral or clutch pulled in (R1150 bikes, with diode in the KickStand circuit, provide a third OR, over the previous R1100, allowing the bike to start or run with kickstand down as long as its in neutral.)
    Poetry. Except you got confused with the clock. Regular R has basic clock that is always on.

Well done lads!

Cele, you were a great guide.

Jeff, glad you hung in there. Buy your wife something nice with the money you saved.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by motorradmike View Post
    Well done lads!

Jeff, glad you hung in there. Buy your wife something nice with the money you saved.
    +1
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by motorradmike View Post
    Well done lads!

Wife? No way, now I can order more stuff for the bike!!! Peg lowering kit is next on my list....

Quote Originally Posted by jeff.ferguson View Post
    Wife? No way, now I can order more stuff for the bike!!! Peg lowering kit is next on my list....
    Gotta think long term. Make the bike her friend also.

Really?

After all this you want to screw up the sidestand interlock switch?
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Rephrase that:

"Yes! She said she wanted a Peg Lowering kit"
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Nice outcome on this one. Happy Days for the owner.

Good going guys! This shared knowledge thing really works.

Given this issue popped up when the bar risers got installed I guess it's a stretched broken wire and should be easier to find now that you know it's in the kill switch circuit. Broken kill switches are pretty rare, broken wires and bad connections less so.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Nice outcome on this one. Happy Days for the owner.

Good going guys! This shared knowledge thing really works.

Given this issue popped up when the bar risers got installed I guess it's a stretched broken wire and should be easier to find now that you know it's in the kill switch circuit. Broken kill switches are pretty rare, broken wires and bad connections less so.

We have had a couple of '02 R's and have repaired a few others from a broken wire right under the zip-tie location as it leaves the frame towards the controls. Acts like a hinge and really strains the conductors.Some have been way to tight on problem bikes.
    I believe you have removed those a bit earlier in your quest.
    H's worst one would stall when handlebars were turned all way to left( as in a gas stop/parking mode)... straight and bike ran.Was able to correct in hotel lot that evening by slitting already brittle loom covering and finding the pinched and easily pulled apart green/red or the companion. It had risers when we bought it adding to a bit more strain a that zip-tie I imagine.

Another one acted up in the rain...not an HES issue, but it was opening kill switch ckt as well. I could wiggle the bundle and cause the issue. Once again broken right at the former ziptie location
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I was thinking about getting some good silicone insulated wires and redoing most of the wires leading from the handlebars down. Mine is 04 and I cut the zip ties off and wrapped some electrical tape on the "fold" to soften the radius. First time I have a problem I will cut the wires and solder some silicone insulated wires all the way around and new outside cover. Germans and their "biodegradable" wiring.. I have 85 Honda that has wires that look like they just left the factory.

Just took her out for a spin (the bike, not the wife - that's later!) and it runs like a champ. Need to dial in my new Wunderlich wind deflector a little more, but it's a vast improvement and the bar risers are awesome!

Do we really need most of the factory installed zip ties at all? I mean, are they there just for neatness? Is the thought that maybe the wires will get caught on something without them?

A couple of my BMWs had the wires zip tied very tight. Like Hans was yelling to the workers on the line: "Tighter! Tighter!" My R1200C was the worst, and it's well documented those caused electrical breaks on many bikes.

I also recently installed bar risers on my Honda NT and had to remove the heavy zip ties, and the wires do not need any put back on, it all looks fine.

So much for Biogegradable

Quote Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
    I was thinking about getting some good silicone insulated wires and redoing most of the wires leading from the handlebars down. Mine is 04 and I cut the zip ties off and wrapped some electrical tape on the "fold" to soften the radius. First time I have a problem I will cut the wires and solder some silicone insulated wires all the way around and new outside cover. Germans and their "biodegradable" wiring.. I have 85 Honda that has wires that look like they just left the factory.
    Yeah, we are having huge problems with BMW's up here getting their harnesses eaten by mice and rats - they recommend now parking away from tall grass and shrubs.
    So much for green, what a PITA!

I have already fixed my Jetta under the hood twice as well
    '
    Ufda happens..........