• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Staying in shape

Moderate + exercise burns about 100 calories per hour..about the number of calories you get from drinking one light beer. Yeah, those calories add up fast and can be very difficult to burn off.

I've done some reading on the topic of weight loss and exercise, and I've concluded that for most activities, it's not very helpful. One of the authors I like is Timothy Caulfield, who is the Research Director at the University of Alberta's Health Law Institute. He's written some books that critically analyze the diet industry, and some popular and celebritry diets. One of them is reviewed here:

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2012/02/book-review-tim-caulfields-cure-for.html

Another of his books is titled: "Is Gwynneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything?" :D

There are some recent studies on saturated fats and diet, that are resulting in our national food guides coming under attack:

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20160407/282389808633902

new study challenges the 150 minutes a week fitness guideline

A recent study out of the University of British Columbia, and published in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology, states that "...one of the greatest myths perpetuated with physical activity promotion, the exercise sciences and exercise medicine is the belief that you need to engage in 150 minutes per week of moderate to vigorous physical activity for health benefits..."

http://montrealgazette.com/life/less-time-same-benefits-times-are-changing-when-it-comes-to-fitness

An earlier study out of Taiwan, and published in the prestigious journal, Lancet, reported that just 15 minutes of exercise a day will result in significant drops in "all cause early mortality," and just 75 minutes of brisk walking per week can result in two additional years of life.

While these studies may not be of much interest to intense training devotees, they may be encouraging for physically inactive individuals who want to become more active.

Motorcycle Fitness

Hey Everyone,

I bought my 2014 F800GSA a year ago (in February) and was pretty worried that I'd end up hurting myself or stuck in the woods somewhere because I was 50 pounds overweight and way out of shape. That March I started a program that's been working pretty well for me for the past year. I've dropped 50 pounds and kept it off. I've lost most of my other health issues with it, allergies, pain in my shoulders and feet, and my asthma has gotten much better. I feel significantly more confident in my riding ability because I feel like I am in better control of the bike.

I've started a facebook page dedicated to riding & fitness. The page is https://www.facebook.com/fitrideradv/ It would be great to have you follow along!

I'd love to help anyone out that is looking to get into better shape, lose weight, or just get into a easy to follow program.

Feel free to send me a private message as well!

Thanks,
Ryan Neathawk

I find yoga to be helpful in staying in shape for my daily commute-not poses but simple exercises that I do before even getting out of bed.

Well, after a nine month absence, I was back in the pool today. I usually do 10 lap segments, but all I could muster was two lappers and a couple of fours, with difficulty. My stroke is choppy and I'm not rolling my hips properly. However the Master swimmer in the next lane was complaining too.

But I'll get there, and I feel invigorated.

For cardio, I've only been doing fast walking and I played a few squash games but my daughter asked me to quit until the pandemic settles down a bit.

Well, after a nine month absence, I was back in the pool today. I usually do 10 lap segments, but all I could muster was two lappers and a couple of fours, with difficulty. My stroke is choppy and I'm not rolling my hips properly. However the Master swimmer in the next lane was complaining too.

But I'll get there, and I feel invigorated.

For cardio, I've only been doing fast walking and I played a few squash games but my daughter asked me to quit until the pandemic settles down a bit.

At least you got back to the pool :thumb

Skipping the pandemic, also :thumb

OM

Skipping the pandemic, also :thumb

OM

My club has strict protocols. There are 6 lanes and you have to reserve a lane. The lane centres are about 8 feet apart. You mask up between the pool and the locker room and place the mask in your lane box at poolside.

My club has strict protocols. There are 6 lanes and you have to reserve a lane. The lane centres are about 8 feet apart. You mask up between the pool and the locker room and place the mask in your lane box at poolside.

The club thing sounds better than the “Y”. Most public swim areas concern me. When I used to play “pick up” hockey, (frozen water), the locker rooms generally needed a lot of attention :sick
OM

Nothing regular these days except physical work but at 53 I still have a 6 pack for some odd reason. Makes no sense with the amount of cheese and beer I put through my body. :ha

Nothing regular these days except physical work but at 53 I still have a 6 pack for some odd reason. Makes no sense with the amount of cheese and beer I put through my body. :ha

Well the rig work you do must be a hell of a workout..

I have a routine of resistance weights, balance work, and flexibility routines I put together myself designed to empathize areas needed for motorcycle riding. I was very consistent with this every day until a couple of months ago, but now with the winter weather setting in I need to get back to it to keep in shape during the couch potato weather. :)

I have a routine of resistance weights, balance work, and flexibility routines I put together myself designed to empathize areas needed for motorcycle riding. I was very consistent with this every day until a couple of months ago, but now with the winter weather setting in I need to get back to it to keep in shape during the couch potato weather. :)

I do something similar except I visit a personal trainer 2 days a week. I told her 2 years ago that I wanted to get in shape for motorcycle riding and also bicycle riding. I also ride a bicycle 2 or 3 days a week for an hour or more. The emphasis as been on upper body and core with remarkable results. I can ride for 700-800 miles per day with only breaks for fuel. I also lost 50 lbs.

Just recently I told the trainer I wanted to switch to "maintenance mode" and she developed a routine using TRX Straps. This thing can really target muscle groups and you can easily install in your basement or wherever. No need for weights, kettle balls, or benches.

I'm 70 yrs old and feel like I'm 50.

I do something similar except I visit a personal trainer 2 days a week. I told her 2 years ago that I wanted to get in shape for motorcycle riding and also bicycle riding. I also ride a bicycle 2 or 3 days a week for an hour or more. The emphasis as been on upper body and core with remarkable results. I can ride for 700-800 miles per day with only breaks for fuel. I also lost 50 lbs.

Just recently I told the trainer I wanted to switch to "maintenance mode" and she developed a routine using TRX Straps. This thing can really target muscle groups and you can easily install in your basement or wherever. No need for weights, kettle balls, or benches.

I'm 70 yrs old and feel like I'm 50.

Inspiring story!

Run a few miles 2-3 times a week, 7-9 mile bike ride a couple times a week, full gym in my garage where I squat, squat, squat! Keeping that posterior chain alive and awake is crucial for riding. Also do a lot of hiking, yoga, core work.

I'll be 60 in January, and fitness along with a mostly whole-food/plant based diet has kept me doing the things that I want.

Also save the cigars and the scotch as a treat for long road trips only.

Bicycling, which requires strong core and quads at minimum, is excellent for motorcycling. Strong quads work well with BMW's tendency toward their bikes liking lower body steering inputs.

And, you get the "on two wheels" thing going, which is always fun.

Back