• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Staying in shape

I don't consider myself "in shape" as in a fitness guru etc., but I am way more active than most women half my age. I have always done hard, physical work and I guess it is paying off because I feel great, and the best part is that I do not take ANY medication of any kind, and never have. I would like to trim off a couple of pounds, but I'm ok where I am. I can do everything I could when I was 20, except bear children (thank goodness) :D. When I feel like my clothes are getting a little snug, I just back off on my calories by eating more veggys instead of meat.

Talking to my letter carrier just the other day. She says she is leaving her route to work inside, as her knees are 'done' .Been advised that she needs one [now] So we talked a-bit . She said her route requires an average of 12 miles p/day walking. A bit more when she and the carrier on the other side , cover the route in the middle....when that carrier is off.

If ya think about the old "use it or loose it" theory seems strange ? that the using it would wear them out ? She went on to say that she [even though she has done this for 17 years] she has battled her weight as well. She's only 47. I'm just not sure the whole diet/activity/exercise plans / theories apply universally ?

Glad your situation is as it is for you, wish we all could be that lucky. Keep up the good work. :thumb

Think I'll go on the BRR ride tomorrow.
http://www.perryia.org/brr.html

P1010715.JPG

BRR is right! We were griping about windchill in the 50's yesterday when pedaling:ha

I'm just not sure the whole diet/activity/exercise plans / theories apply universally ?

Walking is generally considered a safe, low impact activity, but certain factors can increase the stress on joints:

- overpronation (rolling the feet after contact with the ground, and continuing the roll instead of pushing off forward)
- overweight
- walking on hard or tilted surfaces.

The ride was good today, 29 to 30 deg. The only snag was a little fog.
I had on a very thin down jacket and vest, on my legs were under amour tights and cold weather bicycle tights.
After 4 miles I took off the vest and I was just right after that.

2016_BRR_6_.JPG

2016_BRR_9_.JPG

2016_BRR_4_.jpg

Fat Bikes are getting popular for winter riding.
BRR_2016.jpg

Been riding the human powered bikes a lot...today on the GS I was a bit thirsty, reached for a water bottle...and hit my hand on the tank:banghead
Had me laughing for a bit:laugh

Most of the Fat tired bikes I have seen were not full suspension. I am sure some must be. Talk about some serious rolling resistance to pedaling...though cool looking:thumb
The difference in riding a good full suspension bike vs. an old solid frame is night and day. H's is full, mine front shocks only and I wish I had the full set up. Way easier on the back for sure.

I have a mountain bike- circa 1983, I think before the term "mountain bike" was coined. It's a great bike but if I run over an ant, I feel it in my back. I can also "leg it out" fairly easily.
I would like to find a bike that would allow exercise without the back punishment. I've looked at many full suspension but an trying to avoid a $2,500.00 mistake :dunno
OM

Talk about some serious rolling resistance to pedaling...though cool looking:thumb

I thought the same thing but was surprised. On the ride I did not pass a single Fat Tire and a couple dozen passed me.
It was not a race but it really surprised me has easy some on them went by me.
You can here them coming, those big knobbies really hum.

I've looked at many full suspension but an trying to avoid a $2,500.00 mistake :dunno
OM

Would you consider a used bike? Used bikes sell really cheap. I've seen some nice barely used bicycles for sale on the ADV site.
It's not unusual for someone to buy a high end bike and only use it a few times before loosing interest.

Would you consider a used bike? Used bikes sell really cheap. I've seen some nice barely used bicycles for sale on the ADV site.
It's not unusual for someone to buy a high end bike and only use it a few times before loosing interest.
Sure Lee, just having a had time trying to find what may work. A misspent youth has me rather beat-up. That is one of the reasons I don't ride LD on a motorcycle. I'm trying to avoid an Arti Johnson moment
muutt.gif

Gary

I'm trying to avoid an Arti Johnson moment
muutt.gif

Gary

Had one yesterday...H wanted me to stay down so she could get to her camera :banghead My scraped knee saw no humor in the moment. Didn't quite get my foot out of clips in time in some gravel.

Y'all folks doing your sidecase lifts and centerstand powerlifts readying for commuting season?

What are you doing to stay in shape? Do you have a routine or just hope for the best? .
.What are you doing?
OM

My exercise routine is to do one sit-up a day.
Yep, in morning when I wake up I do one half. And at night when I go to bed I do the other half.

And I know I need to do something about that. Going for a 2 hour ride is tiring, and I can tell in about half hour that some muscles are getting more exercise than normal. I know that is bad.

Dave

Exercise

I enjoy reading books about exercise. I also watch others doing it on occasion. . . . .if I am not too tired.

Most of the Fat tired bikes I have seen were not full suspension...Talk about some serious rolling resistance to pedaling...

I used to ride the Kananaskis Trail (Alberta Highway 40) every year, just before the Highway Department would open it to motor vehicles. The first couple of times I did it on a mountain bike equipped with smooth tires. Then I got a Bianchi road bike, and couldn't believe the difference. The climb to the summit of Highwood Pass took much less effort.

Here's what it looks like in June:

november 08 063.jpg

Back