• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Staying in shape

And now there's a study out of the University of British Columbia that suggests that even light resistance training (weights) may slow the age related shrinking of some parts of the brain.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/weight-training-and-aerobic-exercise-linked-to-better-brain-health-study/article27938987/

All these studies coming out all the time about the benefits of exercise are just amazing. And encouraging.

They don't last long though...milegalbicka

I've noticed this at our club too. And our members are pretty keen.

Just plain old walking. 2-3 miles per day. Helped me shed 15 lbs when it was needed and now maintaining at 175#, right where I should be. Easy on the joints, enjoyable with the spouse and cheap. The only thing better would be swimming but with no indoor pool close by that is out.

Stay healthy, everyone. It has great paybacks in how you feel and how you live. Just do it.

Helen walks me on average 4 times a week on a 3 -4 mile march. I do my best to keep up:laugh

I am working/walking on the property to keep in outdoor shape enough without adding...but it happens and off we go. Two legged hill climbing works wonders .

I recently have paid her back cycling, running the hills and back roads we usually throttle up on...she comments, after catching her breath, that she didn't remember that climb being so long on her Beemer. Can cycle almost year round...no below 45 or overly windy days as that's too much like work...builds character...yeah:whistle

Both of us upgraded some our pedaled equipment...not to most recent models, but some well maintained used ones. Took a few weeks to get the legs back for the road bikes but have been having fun doing it again...no fun, I get bored. I found her a vintage full suspension mt. bike. Funny it's a 1995 and considered vintage. It's such an upgrade from her other one and immediately noticed as she flew by me...what have I done?
Have a cardio heavy gym in our shop and enough weights to get'r done. We both were gym rats prior to moving out here as well as pedaling and paddling. Here, motivation is hard as the motorcycles are near the gym door and I get distracted.

KIMG0599.jpg
Was doing a yearly service on this bad boy today...kept H from making me do a spin class with her earlier...I had to go walk at the State Park in town with the dogs instead...kind of a win:dunno

I always take a break this time of year because the gym gets more crowded than usual with the New Year's resolution sign ups. They don't last long though and when things get back to normal I return to my cardio routine.

Played that game for many years, packed for first month or two, even at 5 in the AM...or around spring break.

Lack of ability to eat a good meal during the work day as well short lunch breaks. A steady diet of fast food or catering truck meals that have to be woofed down is, IMO, nowhere near as healthy as a freshly prepared meal at a sit down location- with plenty of time to eat.
OM

This is so true! Our company was taken over by the sort only interested in personal profit. They laid off 320, the first layoff in our history, and turned a once proud and profitable company into a sinking ship. In addition to the layoffs, we've lost dozens of key players since, which makes survival more difficult for the rest. We all eat at our desks, fear taking time off, and collective risk avoidance seems to be the current strategy. So sad, and all of us are piling on the weight. I'm up 50# in the past two years.

I tried to counter it by vigorous early morning or noon hour walks, but severe cramping in my left leg put the kibosh to that. I took a lot of shrapnel in that leg and figured the scar tissue had caught up to me and was forcing a slowdown. After two years of pain my physician felt it might be due to the statins I was taking for cholesterol. Apparently that side effect can kick in even after years of taking them. The pain is much diminished and I'm beginning to be able to walk without discomfort. Would like to lose those 50# quickly to accelerate my level of activity, maybe a drastic shift in my diet to bring the cholesterol under control.

But I suspect walking off the job would be the single biggest factor in improving my physical and mental health

Pete

But I suspect walking off the job would be the single biggest factor in improving my physical and mental health

Pete

You talking about WALKING off the job or walking off the JOB? :scratch

Either sounds like a health and sanity plus:thumb

Pretty stange about the statin side effects.

You talking about WALKING off the job or walking off the JOB? :scratch

Either sounds like a health and sanity plus:thumb

Pretty stange about the statin side effects.

My doctor has tried two different types of statins for me. Both had the same side effects of severe muscle decay and weakness, so bad I thought I would be better off dead. I just couldn't' take the pain and stopped them. My doctor said I was one of the 10% or so that experience this side effect from statins. Other side effects include diabetes and a whole list of other nasty things ( read the fine print).

Cholesterol, Hdl and ldl, are the only things out of whack for me. I am 158 lbs on a 5' 8" frame.

I am now eating only fruits, vegetables and lean protein. No grains ( and frankly I think the problem with grains is because they are all GMO. In Europe GMO foods are banned!), no sugars, no breads.

On a resistance, aerobic and flexibility program to increase strength, endurance and capacity - I want to ride for many more years, God willing. I will do my part.

I am going to do another blood test in June and see if there is any improvement in my numbers.

So I am not surprised about your side effect glenfiddich.

I used to get a lot of exercise at work when surveying, but the last few years I was mostly in the office and now I'm retired.
I go to the gym 5 to 6 times a week for cardio workout and in good weather I get the bicycle out. Wish we lived closer to Des Moines because they have a great trail network up there.
Today all the State Parks in Iowa encouraged people to go on a State Park walk. Around 30 of us showed up at the park near our town and walked the new section of the bicycle trail along the lake.

Green_Valley_Jan_1_2015_2_.jpg

Green_Valley_Jan_1_2015_1_.jpg

Green_Valley_walk_1-1-2016_-_Copy.JPG

Here's a few pictures on one of the Des Moines bike trails.
High_Trestle.jpg

High_Trestle2.jpg

High_Trestle3.jpg

Last edited:
Played that game for many years, packed for first month or two, even at 5 in the AM...or around spring break.
Gym was packed with newbs today as expected, but no way will I let my hard work and health take a step back to skip working out due to crowds. You just deal with it. Most newbs stick to cardio and machines, few ever crowd the free weight areas and are easy enough to work around. Otherwise you end up skipping Jan and Feb, theN April during break, then the summer because the college kids are home, then Thanksgiving to New Years due to holidays and college kids being home....So why bother even going? Nah, just deal with the crowds, put your headset on, play your music and get into your own zone, when you do that, when your on your machine, crowds don't matter. Yeah maybe you need to wait for a machine, maybe you need to go off hours or improvise your workouts, but all that is better to not going and not exercising.

Skipping the gym and exercise due to post holiday crowds isn't a good idea imho.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

Never shied away during those times, just worked around it as well.

Just moved 50 miles away from the gym that was on the way to work when I retired.

Now retired, we get way plenty of all around exercise without the crowds or traffic...and have a gym of our own when that isn't doing the trick:thumb

P1080997.jpg

Country Strong isn't just a movie:laugh

Never shied away during those times, just worked around it as well.

Just moved 50 miles away from the gym that was on the way to work when I retired.

Now retired, we get way plenty of all around exercise without the crowds or traffic...and have a gym of our own when that isn't doing the trick:thumb

View attachment 53862

Country Strong isn't just a movie:laugh

I'm impressed, that's a lot of hard digging in your rocky soils.
Is this your place? The two buildings don't look right and I can't get my bearings on where you shot the picture.

Helen's garage and her new SheShed on opposite side from the guest house.

Digging to redirect water from front of house terrace after the Memorial Day and Halloween rain events.That is only a short run of the bigger project...and a serious workout. Cardio and weight training outdoors...good times for a couple of weeks.

Chipping bar on the limestone trench, shovel and repeat . Lost count how many wheelbarrow loads I moved back up the hill to create a berm. Then backfilled dry creek with river rock. Watching the rain water come out the drainpipes down the hill today...Priceless:thumb

Helen wanting to go for a bike pedal or a long walk wasn't sounding good a few of those days...I was good!

yoga

yoga, dudes. strength, flexibilty, balance. anyone can do it. it doesn't matter how "well" you do it when you start, or how fast your progress. You will be stronger, more flexible, more in control of you body, your mind, and your bike. And to all the people who will inevitably biotch and belly ache; get over yourself. There's nothing "religious" about it. It's exercise.

yoga, dudes. strength, flexibilty, balance. anyone can do it. it doesn't matter how "well" you do it when you start, or how fast your progress. You will be stronger, more flexible, more in control of you body, your mind, and your bike. And to all the people who will inevitably biotch and belly ache; get over yourself. There's nothing "religious" about it. It's exercise.

I totally need to do yoga

Back