• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Staying in shape

I am doing kettle bell workouts using an online app called DailyBurn and I follow along on my TV via a Roku box. DailyBurn is $49/year, Roku is $99, Kettlebells are around $60-$100/per (they'll last forever) and you'll only need one or two. But there are loads of other 2-month routines. Dumbbells, Bosu balls, or just body weight. A little investment but a lot less than classes or training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go to the gym at least three times a week, and when not at the gym walk 3-5 miles on a trail. While at the gym I do upper body, core, and leg exercises to build and maintain strength. I also stand on the bosu ball for 5-10 minutes to build balance. The gym and trail workouts are meant to build strength, endurance and balance. Of course the workout is put on hold when I'm riding. I ride a R1200RT as well as an F800GS dual sport. I figure balance is the most important part of my "staying in shape" routine. I'm amazed at how quickly balance fades as you get older. Oh did I say I watch what I eat too? While I enjoy a roadside burger like the next guy, I recognize it's not the healthiest choice.

Yoga 3x/wk, cycling 3x/wk, light weights almost daily. Cut out all alcohol and refined sugars. Oh yeah, quit the job too. Never felt better.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

My wife was away 5 days, and I'm down 5 pounds, to 185. :thumb Haven't been this light for a long time.

After commuting all week, I look forward to weekend activities: mowing the lawn (push mower, though it is gas-powered) and landscaping, playing bocci ball and cornhole.

I exercise every other day mostly weight training and some aerobics. My goal is to get to a point that I feel I can accomplish the P90X work out my wife got me for Christmas. Hopefully starting that soon. As far as staying in shape on the bike, I just took the http://www.motomark1.com course and got the rust out of my riding. Next I will take level 2 and get the performance back in my driving.

Rock climbing! You don't see to many morbidly obese climbers. But if you are overweight you can still climb, just take it slow (well, take it slow if you are a novice in a any shape). Start at a local indoor climbing gym with good instruction. You can do it at any age and even if you struggle with a fear of heights like me (I like to address that fear) It's a blast!

In addition, I'd say some combination of running, hiking, swimming, and body weight exercises (a la the book 'Convict Conditioning') work for me ( no I'm not a convict)

Cheers,
BH

I live just down the road from an E. KY rock climbers hangout- "Miguel's Pizza" ( I had his kids in school) & I have never, nor will I ever look like "them"! My right leg outweighs many climbers body weight?:D

I changed my eating habits

I cut out everything with gluten, like bread, noodles, baked goodies, etc. and fruit juices which have lots of sugar; I just eat the fruit now. It hasn't been exactly a positive outcome so far. I now eat more ice cream, chocolate, drink more beer and eat at least 4 watermelons a week. Needless to say, I haven't lost any weight yet but I'm having a lot of fun.
One good thing about living here in Taiwan is perception. In America I was short fat man, here, I'm a tall fat man.

DW

The ride to the Rally and back pointed out a problem: my legs. I used to walk to work every day, and now that I'm retired, I definitely need to get more walking in. Today at the YMCA, I tried out one of the treadmills. I have worked out on the machines three times a week since January, but I have neglected my legs. I need to get them in better shape for the ride to Billings.

(And maybe a new R1200GS would help my 6'4" frame and 36" inseam legs be more comfortable on a cross-continent ride?)

Harry

I go to the gym and workout with weights 4 to 5 days a week. I travel a lot for work and even then, I pack my workout clothes and hit the hotel gym. More often than not, the hotel gyms are minimal at best (although Westin and some Sheratons are getting better) but even then you can always make do to get some sort of a workout in.

I do not do much cardio as it isn't needed and when I do cardio I shed too much weight (dropped from 175 to 140 pounds over 6 months and kept it that way for two years).

I also ride dirt bikes, do all my own work around my yard and house, work on my own bikes and cars, hike, walk, play with my kids, etc. Finally, I eat right, no fast food, when traveling, even at restaurants I will order the lighter meals like fish, nothing fried, etc. no soda, nothing sweetened with sugar, black coffee, very little alcohol, etc. Basically I know my macro nutrient needs and balance what I need to what I eat; if I want to have a few beers, I will adjust my meals before or after to compensate.

Seems like a lot of work, but once you get into the swing of it, things become "normal". The energy levels I have are better than they have been in almost 20 years, I look 15 years younger than I really am and feel it too.

It has helped my riding stamina as well; I do not get nearly as tired or "out of focus" as I used to.

I do not do much cardio as it isn't needed and when I do cardio I shed too much weight (dropped from 175 to 140 pounds over 6 months and kept it that way for two years).

Wow. What kind of cardio were you doing to get that kind of weight loss?

And welcome.

Caught a few words on radio news about fitness & obesity. That caused me to look into it more.

The radio report & what I found was that the highest % of obesity , by occupation seems to be almost the reverse of what I expected it would be. Emergency worker first responders , police/fire etc are the group with the highest % ?? Construction workers , material handlers are way up there as well. Where as scientist, researchers , lab techs etc are in the lowest %

Strange !...google it. There are several charts. It almost seems the more active in general a person is...the more likely that person is to be obese ? Makes no sense too me.

Caught a few words on radio news about fitness & obesity. That caused me to look into it more.

The radio report & what I found was that the highest % of obesity , by occupation seems to be almost the reverse of what I expected it would be. Emergency worker first responders , police/fire etc are the group with the highest % ?? Construction workers , material handlers are way up there as well. Where as scientist, researchers , lab techs etc are in the lowest %

Strange !...google it. There are several charts. It almost seems the more active in general a person is...the more likely that person is to be obese ? Makes no sense too me.

Stress!

Voni

Lack of ability to eat a good meal during the work day as well short lunch breaks. A steady diet of fast food or catering truck meals that have to be woofed down is, IMO, nowhere near as healthy as a freshly prepared meal at a sit down location- with plenty of time to eat.
OM

I try to go to the gym every other day. I mainly do weight training and realize I need to do cardio, just can't stand those machines. I am about to start P90X in my garage at home on the days I do not go, it is the only place that I have the room and the floor will withstand all the jumping. Still, at 60 years old and bench pressing my own weight, I think I'm okay, just need to dump the spare tire. (My goal for the next two weeks is to bench press two 90 pound dumb bells, currently at 85's and to raise my max dumb bell curl weight to 35 lbs. each hand. I used to do 35 lbs curls a few years ago but tore my brachialis and have not been bicep strong since. Tri's are good, so too are my legs/back/shoulders, just that core that needs work.)

I did go to the Y this morning.

Lots of Christmas cookies, pies, and other goodies to work off. Even though riding season is months away, I don't expect to get in shape in only a couple of weeks, so I need to keep at it now, in the middle of winter.

Harry

I always take a break this time of year because the gym gets more crowded than usual with the New Year's resolution sign ups. They don't last long though and when things get back to normal I return to my cardio routine.

I lift weights four days a week no matter what. Even when traveling for work or vacation I find time and a place to work out.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Back