Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Staying in shape

Climbing!

Rock climbing! You don't see to many morbidly obese climbers. But if you are overweight you can still climb, just take it slow (well, take it slow if you are a novice in a any shape). Start at a local indoor climbing gym with good instruction. You can do it at any age and even if you struggle with a fear of heights like me (I like to address that fear) It's a blast!

In addition, I'd say some combination of running, hiking, swimming, and body weight exercises (a la the book 'Convict Conditioning') work for me ( no I'm not a convict)

Cheers,
    BH

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Shocked when simply leaving refined sugar, baked goods, sweets, fast food...could have such a positive effect on the old body.
    That's huge.
    Last edited by Rinty; 03-18-2014 at 04:26 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Even Watching Satellites is good for exercising the eyes, mind and senses.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I do Bikram Yoga two to three times per week. At least once per week I also do light weight training. The yoga makes throwing the leg over the bike and staying alert easy as pie. The strength training is just darn good for us older guys who are loosing muscle mass due to aging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerHund View Post
    Rock climbing! You don't see to many morbidly obese climbers. But if you are overweight you can still climb, just take it slow (well, take it slow if you are a novice in a any shape). Start at a local indoor climbing gym with good instruction. You can do it at any age and even if you struggle with a fear of heights like me (I like to address that fear) It's a blast!

In addition, I'd say some combination of running, hiking, swimming, and body weight exercises (a la the book 'Convict Conditioning') work for me ( no I'm not a convict)

Cheers,
    BH
    I've known a few rock climbers. You know what you call a rock climber without a girlfriend? Homeless.

My blood pressure was always just below the point where the Doc would put me on meds, usually 140 over 90. Work was always a little stressful, but it was the good kind; challenge was good. I figured I could improve. Even though I walked a lot at work, I did more after. I bought a juicer and cut all beef and only ate fish and chicken once a week if that. I had to really keep up on it, and I did. I don't eat a lot of sugar anyway, no pop or sugar drinks - just chocolate covered almonds once a week. The next trip to the Doc showed my brood pressure down a little - I was about a quarter of the way to being mid range. After that, I couldn't improve it seemed. I went totally meatless for six months and had to work to get the proper nutrition, (lots of beans and rice and greens). Still no change.

Got hurt at work, worked until surgery and then three weeks off, (no meds after the first couple days, just don't like them). Doc released me to work with no change in vitals. Soon as I got back I was sat down and had all the "opportunities" laid out out that happened while I was gone. Didn't even give notice - I was out of there.

Spent a week around the house catching up on some stuff, I still wasn't 100% from the surgery, but I moving steady. Bacon and eggs almost every morning, substituting sausage to shake things up. Bag of chips? Sounds good. I walked from the couch to the fridge to the shop and back to the couch a couple times a day. Went to my usual Doc for my annual three weeks later. 115 over 85 with HR of 62. The nurse went to get the Doc to hear what I did. Absolutely nothing. My allergies and back pain went away, too. Instead of stressing over work and trying to find time to eat a couple times a day, I eat about five times a day now - small portions, anything I want.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    No doubt, the stress is more trouble than the work
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Staying in shape

I am doing kettle bell workouts using an online app called DailyBurn and I follow along on my TV via a Roku box. DailyBurn is $49/year, Roku is $99, Kettlebells are around $60-$100/per (they'll last forever) and you'll only need one or two. But there are loads of other 2-month routines. Dumbbells, Bosu balls, or just body weight. A little investment but a lot less than classes or training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Purple 1995 BMW K1100LT named Pōni with the license plate ICBMW

I go to the gym at least three times a week, and when not at the gym walk 3-5 miles on a trail. While at the gym I do upper body, core, and leg exercises to build and maintain strength. I also stand on the bosu ball for 5-10 minutes to build balance. The gym and trail workouts are meant to build strength, endurance and balance. Of course the workout is put on hold when I'm riding. I ride a R1200RT as well as an F800GS dual sport. I figure balance is the most important part of my "staying in shape" routine. I'm amazed at how quickly balance fades as you get older. Oh did I say I watch what I eat too? While I enjoy a roadside burger like the next guy, I recognize it's not the healthiest choice.
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, and '16 R1200GSA (wife's)

Yoga 3x/wk, cycling 3x/wk, light weights almost daily. Cut out all alcohol and refined sugars. Oh yeah, quit the job too. Never felt better.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)

My wife was away 5 days, and I'm down 5 pounds, to 185. Haven't been this light for a long time.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

After commuting all week, I look forward to weekend activities: mowing the lawn (push mower, though it is gas-powered) and landscaping, playing bocci ball and cornhole.

I exercise every other day mostly weight training and some aerobics. My goal is to get to a point that I feel I can accomplish the P90X work out my wife got me for Christmas. Hopefully starting that soon. As far as staying in shape on the bike, I just took the http://www.motomark1.com course and got the rust out of my riding. Next I will take level 2 and get the performance back in my driving.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerHund View Post

Cheers,
    BH
    I live just down the road from an E. KY rock climbers hangout- "Miguel's Pizza" ( I had his kids in school) & I have never, nor will I ever look like "them"! My right leg outweighs many climbers body weight?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I changed my eating habits

I cut out everything with gluten, like bread, noodles, baked goodies, etc. and fruit juices which have lots of sugar; I just eat the fruit now. It hasn't been exactly a positive outcome so far. I now eat more ice cream, chocolate, drink more beer and eat at least 4 watermelons a week. Needless to say, I haven't lost any weight yet but I'm having a lot of fun.
    One good thing about living here in Taiwan is perception. In America I was short fat man, here, I'm a tall fat man.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco , 180cc Kymco Racing King
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Walking works for me. Lots of sMiles!

Voni
    sMiling

Yup, tons of hiking here too.

I know i should add some strength training but... may be someday.