• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Staying in shape

Cholesterol, Hdl and ldl, are the only things out of whack for me. I am 158 lbs on a 5' 8" frame.

Are you aware of trans fats and what they do to your numbers? Trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils) raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol, a double-whammy. My numbers were terrible until I found out about trans fats and eliminated them as much as possible from my diet.

I stopped Lipitor because of dry mouth and it seemed to cause memory problems. And now I don't need it because my numbers are good.

More info here: http://www.bantransfats.com/abouttransfat.html

Harry

Last edited:
Are you aware of trans fats and what they do to your numbers? Trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils) raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol, a double-whammy. My numbers were terrible until I found out about trans fats and eliminated them as much as possible from my diet.

I stopped Lipitor because of dry mouth and it seemed to cause memory problems. And now I don't need it because my numbers are good.

More info here: http://www.bantransfats.com/abouttransfat.html

Harry

Thanks for that. Since I can't go back on statins I need to change a few things. My wife has good genes and can eat pretty much anything without gaining an ounce or impacting her chemistry. She's pretty set on not changing her diet so we are preparing and eating separate meals now. Been two days with no junk and I actually feel better, no sugar spikes and valleys, more energy

Staying away from trans fats means finding out where they occur. Most restaurants fry their foods in high-trans-fats oil. Assume baked goods have trans fats unless you know better. Read the ingredients on labels, and check web sites to find out which outfits have minimized or eliminated trans fats. Industrial strength mayonnaise has trans fats, the kind you get at restaurants, for example.

I used to eat peanut butter sandwiches and cookies for lunch: too bad for me the peanut butter was soaked in trans fats. The greedy bastards took the good oil out, peanut oil, and replaced it with partially hydrogenated soy bean oil. Cookies were mostly soaked in trans fats. My cholesterol numbers were horrible, and I was in the worst risk group based on those numbers. The situation is a little better these days, but you still need to do your homework and find out what foods do not have trans fats.

Good luck!

Harry

I hide from exercise. I'm in the Fitness Protection Plan...

But, more seriously, about all I can do is walking. Which I try to do on a regular basis. After 8 angioplasties and a five way bypass in the nineties, just lucky to still be here. But with a half dollar sized scar on my heart.

Been on a variety of heart and cholesterol drugs for a couple of decades. Biggest change of late was switching to a low carb / high protein diet, no sugar, no rice, very occasional bread and/or potatoes. Resulted in 70 pound weight loss, highest HDL, lowest LDL and triglycerides ever.

Think I'll keep doing what I do... :dance

Additionally, consider steel cut oats for breakfast. Add some fruit, nuts, cinnamon, dash of maple syrup (the good stuff)...mmm, good, very healthy and will lower your cholesterol.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning, with blueberries, or maple syrup, or bananas. Oatmeal does reduce bad cholesterol.

What changed the most for me when I banned trans fats from my diet was my HDL, my good cholesterol: it doubled!

Harry

Went for a ride and a slide today. :rofl

DSCF1113.jpg

H walked across.

Attachments

• DSCF1113.jpg
    DSCF1113.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 170
Went for a mental workout riding thru and into San Antonio today. Staying in shape has a few meanings.
Started with some oatmeal and some stretches:wave I'll get some cardio somewhere.

Forgot all the little skill sets I took for granted while commuting daily into Austin prior to moving to the rural low volume/pace . My swivel head is :hungover

Even though we can ride yearly, unless it's necessary, avoid riding in large metro environments for fun nowadays. We pulled our ToyHauler thru this last week and back and still feel safer on the bike!

I had to go inside the 410 Loop so had a lot of multi lane interchanges and a lot of situational awareness drills coming off of IH-10. Folks are not getting any smarter and even with hands free laws here there were still a lot of distracted lane wandering no signalin' boofs running 75MPH .
Oh yeah, the heart-rate was elevated so I guess my cardio for today was good!

Went for a mental workout riding thru and into San Antonio today. Staying in shape has a few meanings.
Started with some oatmeal and some stretches:wave I'll get some cardio somewhere.

Forgot all the little skill sets I took for granted while commuting daily into Austin prior to moving to the rural low volume/pace . My swivel head is :hungover

Even though we can ride yearly, unless it's necessary, avoid riding in large metro environments for fun nowadays. We pulled our ToyHauler thru this last week and back and still feel safer on the bike!

I had to go inside the 410 Loop so had a lot of multi lane interchanges and a lot of situational awareness drills coming off of IH-10. Folks are not getting any smarter and even with hands free laws here there were still a lot of distracted lane wandering no signalin' boofs running 75MPH .
Oh yeah, the heart-rate was elevated so I guess my cardio for today was good!
Hands free driving has been here for a while. It give them the chance to text, shave, put on make-up or have breakfast. Always gets my cardio up- not in a good way :eek
OM

I've been off the statins for six weeks now. The horrible leg and foot cramps are gone, and just a bit of stiffness remains in my arches. Things I used to avoid due to discomfort (walking, going down to the basement, fiddling with the bikes if it meant standing for a while) are now painfree and not even in my consciousness. I've lost twenty pounds. Seems like the symptoms I had written off as middle age coupled with the lingering effects of old wounds were nothing more than a side effect of medication.

The plan is to drop another 20# while continuing to increase my activity. Once I hit my target weight my health plan offers free dietary planning. I suspect red meat and beer will be relegated to the status of occasional treats after that

I've been off the statins for six weeks now. The horrible leg and foot cramps are gone, and just a bit of stiffness remains in my arches. Things I used to avoid due to discomfort (walking, going down to the basement, fiddling with the bikes if it meant standing for a while) are now painfree and not even in my consciousness. I've lost twenty pounds. Seems like the symptoms I had written off as middle age coupled with the lingering effects of old wounds were nothing more than a side effect of medication.

The plan is to drop another 20# while continuing to increase my activity. Once I hit my target weight my health plan offers free dietary planning. I suspect red meat and beer will be relegated to the status of occasional treats after that

:thumb :clap
Your not the first that I have heard of where the statins side effects were causing trouble.
OM

Pete, try red yeast rice. I take a flight physical every year. Last year I started taking red yeast rice dropped from about 220 to 190. It takes about 6 weeks to bring it down. I also recommend switching from beer to dry red wine. Save the beer for camping and special occasions.

I don't consider myself "in shape" as in a fitness guru etc., but I am way more active than most women half my age. I have always done hard, physical work and I guess it is paying off because I feel great, and the best part is that I do not take ANY medication of any kind, and never have. I would like to trim off a couple of pounds, but I'm ok where I am. I can do everything I could when I was 20, except bear children (thank goodness) :D. When I feel like my clothes are getting a little snug, I just back off on my calories by eating more veggys instead of meat.

Think I'll go on the BRR ride tomorrow.
http://www.perryia.org/brr.html

P1010715.JPG

P10202051.JPG

P1010729.JPG

P1020198.JPG

Back