• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Staying in shape

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
What are you doing to stay in shape? Do you have a routine or just hope for the best? I'm a big believer that stopping causes rust :p Not being familiar with how the traffic flows in a city can be a bit taxing, IMO less taxing if you have been able to stay in shape- physically and mentally. You can be the among the best of drivers but you need to catch the rhythm of the traffic to really negotiate it.
Training is more than physical, it is mental too. Just being aware that the vehicle in front of you has an out of state plate can tip you off that there is a chance for "less than smooth" vehicle operation. It's simple things that can make the difference, like recognizing the plate or even putting your sock on while standing up- helps maintain that 'ole balance. :gerg
I don't think Dougie Lampkin is having trouble with balance-

Having a trials bike looks like a good way to do strength, agility and mental training.

What are you doing?
OM

What are you doing to stay in shape?

I have realized for a long time now that I need to get in shape to be able to continue to do long road trips on the bike.

I joined the local YMCA about two months ago, and I work out on the machines three times a week. They have a good variety of machines for various muscle groups, and I hope this makes a difference for me.

Harry

I workout, but not like that! In South Texas during the fall and winter months you always have to be on your toes due to the winter tourists down here. They usually are going too slow and make last minute turns when they're lost. Then there's the Mexican nationals that have moved here to escape the violence in Mexico. Now they drive like they're still in Mexico; stick the car out onto an intersection to get across instead of waiting for traffic to clear.

I do cardio 3 - 4 times a week and then focus mainly on core muscle conditioning. I got my wife a Bosu ball for Christmas but i've come to use it way more than she does. It's great for balance and core muscle work and flexibility. I got it at Costco.

At 55 years old, 5'9" and 195 lbs I've put on about 15 lbs over the winter that needs to come back off now. I feel pretty good at 180 lbs. I bought an S1000RR for track days and that's my motivation for getting back to my old weight and conditioning.

Starts with what's put down the old craw. Every pound gone is one more toward your ideal weight, which increases your bike's and your performance down the road, or up on the veranda.

i've been working out fairly steadily for about 35 years. have slowed down in the past 6 due to joint injuries, but still shoot for 3-5 days a week. bicyling for cardio and leg strength, weight training for the rest of the body. i set a goal of doing "something physical" every day, eating healthy (last "meal" at McDs was in 1985, and have never eaten at most of the major fastfood chains), and not overdoing too much of anything.

if you like the idea of m/c trials, you ought to try it when you're the engine as well.
Danny is possibly the best out there:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z19zFlPah-o?feature=player_profilepage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What are you doing to stay in shape? Omega Man

My usual aerobic regime is three sets of 30 lengths (crawl) in the pool per week, for a total distance of about 2 1/4 kilometres. My usual anaerobic regime is 2 or 3 sessions of resistance training per week, on alternate days, with about a third of that being core conditioning. I play squash and downhill ski when I can, although my squash days may be numbered, due to Achilles Tendon issues. With a calorie burn of 1,000 per hour, squash is the best exercise of all, but hard on the body.

Starts with what's put down the old craw...8ninety8

For sure. It's very difficult to work off excess food consumption, so I'm very careful with what, and how much, I eat, particularly in restaurants.

I find that doing all of this gives me good endurance during longer rides, and even allows me to ride with a stock BMW saddle. :D

Last edited:
30 yrs ago and a "few" pounds ago I raced bicycles, road and crits; bicycles are still a major passion for me. I ride alone and with our local club and do about 400 miles a month through our local mountains. The club rides can be a great workout being 35-60 miles in length and climbing between 2,000 to 5,000 foot.

I also do much of my getting around town on my bicycles, including my long tail bike that carries my two grand kids behind me. What a fun way for the three of us to get around town and it sure does not hurt in the cardio area.

If I had to give up either motorcycles or bicycles, hate to say it on this site, motorcycles would lose.

I ride road and XC bicycles after the snow. Hike during winter in the woods. Changed eating after last Thanksgiving. Down fifteen pounds never felt better. Can't get on the roadie too soon. Shocked when simply leaving refined sugar, baked goods, sweets, fast food, and in general stuff that I had been conditioned over my lifetime to think "tastes good" to the palette, could have such a positive effect on the old body. It was like the real physical body was waiting to get out if given a chance.

Can't speak for other's experiences, but my body was speaking to me, yelling at me, for decades. I finally began listening. Talk to yer doctor and get some advice before diving into anything. Rad diets may be just that, rad. Just one guys experience, may not be for anyone else, each body has it's own parameters. IMHO, two cents.

Can't speak for other's experiences, but my body was speaking to me, yelling at me, for decades. I finally began listening.

I quit drinking carbonated soft drinks entirely: way too much sugar, and there's no way I could stand the chemical taste of diet pop. Now I drink water or unsweetened iced tea. Research shows sugar is not your friend, and the carbonation can cause acid reflux.
Another important thing I have done is to ban trans fats: if it says "partially hydrogenated oil" in the ingredients, it does have trans fats, and it goes back on the shelf. You can assume that most restaurants' french fries and baked goods have trans fats, so I avoid them. Trans fats raises bad cholesterol, LDL, and lowers good cholesterol, HDL, a double whammy and is implicated in cognitive decline.

Harry

I eat & drink what I like. I sleep 3 to 5 hours a day. I'm on my feet or riding most of the time I'm awake. Very seldom do I sit & do nothing.

Climbing!

Rock climbing! You don't see to many morbidly obese climbers. But if you are overweight you can still climb, just take it slow (well, take it slow if you are a novice in a any shape). Start at a local indoor climbing gym with good instruction. You can do it at any age and even if you struggle with a fear of heights like me (I like to address that fear) It's a blast!

In addition, I'd say some combination of running, hiking, swimming, and body weight exercises (a la the book 'Convict Conditioning') work for me ( no I'm not a convict)

Cheers,
BH

I do Bikram Yoga two to three times per week. At least once per week I also do light weight training. The yoga makes throwing the leg over the bike and staying alert easy as pie. The strength training is just darn good for us older guys who are loosing muscle mass due to aging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rock climbing! You don't see to many morbidly obese climbers. But if you are overweight you can still climb, just take it slow (well, take it slow if you are a novice in a any shape). Start at a local indoor climbing gym with good instruction. You can do it at any age and even if you struggle with a fear of heights like me (I like to address that fear) It's a blast!

In addition, I'd say some combination of running, hiking, swimming, and body weight exercises (a la the book 'Convict Conditioning') work for me ( no I'm not a convict)

Cheers,
BH

I've known a few rock climbers. You know what you call a rock climber without a girlfriend? Homeless.

My blood pressure was always just below the point where the Doc would put me on meds, usually 140 over 90. Work was always a little stressful, but it was the good kind; challenge was good. I figured I could improve. Even though I walked a lot at work, I did more after. I bought a juicer and cut all beef and only ate fish and chicken once a week if that. I had to really keep up on it, and I did. I don't eat a lot of sugar anyway, no pop or sugar drinks - just chocolate covered almonds once a week. The next trip to the Doc showed my brood pressure down a little - I was about a quarter of the way to being mid range. After that, I couldn't improve it seemed. I went totally meatless for six months and had to work to get the proper nutrition, (lots of beans and rice and greens). Still no change.

Got hurt at work, worked until surgery and then three weeks off, (no meds after the first couple days, just don't like them). Doc released me to work with no change in vitals. Soon as I got back I was sat down and had all the "opportunities" laid out out that happened while I was gone. Didn't even give notice - I was out of there.

Spent a week around the house catching up on some stuff, I still wasn't 100% from the surgery, but I moving steady. Bacon and eggs almost every morning, substituting sausage to shake things up. Bag of chips? Sounds good. I walked from the couch to the fridge to the shop and back to the couch a couple times a day. Went to my usual Doc for my annual three weeks later. 115 over 85 with HR of 62. The nurse went to get the Doc to hear what I did. Absolutely nothing. My allergies and back pain went away, too. Instead of stressing over work and trying to find time to eat a couple times a day, I eat about five times a day now - small portions, anything I want.

Back