• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Exciting moments in drive train failure!

Roguetek

so I'm blasting from Austin to San Antonio, and I'm taking the 410 around San Antonio, fighting traffic, doing lots of shifting. and I notice my clutch cable seems to be getting longer, and longer. And I'm not really in a position to do much about it, because I'm trying not to get smeared by rush hour traffic on the 410. Entirely too soon for my liking, I suddenly have failure on my clutch lever. I cannot disengage the clutch at all. I'm not happy, but I can bangshift the last 20 miles. Yes, I winced with -every- shift, doing it as tenderly as I could, feeling like a horrible person. However, I was kinda stuck with the situation. And if I stopped, I'd -be- stopped, with no-one to come pick me (or my bike) up and take us home.

So I'm coming onto my final turn, and I need to slow down even more. I make one final bang-shift, and there's this jar, and a horrible grinding and banging noise, sounding like I've completely smashed my trans.

I'm also, blessedly, free-rolling, instead of my rear wheel locking up.

The end result was a bit odd..

Apparently the adjuster screw on the clutch arm had managed to un-screw itself rather neatly... And the horrible noise? yeah, that was the end of my drive shaft uncoupling itself. Apparently someone, a long time ago, didn't put it back together right, and cross threaded the nut holding the final-drive end of the nut on, and stripped the threads out, hard. The end result eventually un-threaded itself, and broke free when a hard enough bang-shift was applied.

20140302_131753.jpg20140302_131753.jpg

1393787849255.jpg

Yeah, I had a brief moment of pants-crapping fear when the horrible noises started, I was dead certain the trans was locked, and I was about to get tossed.

Glad it didn't break worse, or break you. That kind of traffic is bad enough with a bike that works, let alone one in semi-survival mode.

You need to accumulate more friends with trailers. :) Or enroll in a decent roadside assistance program. The annual fee will be less than the probable cost of that driveshaft.

... enroll in a decent roadside assistance program. The annual fee will be less than the probable cost of that driveshaft.

The roadside assistance offered by the MOA seems to me to be a very good one, since you are already a member. I am thinking this year to give it a try myself.

attachment.php

Monster torque required on this nut during assembly... 150-180 ft/lbs; coupled with the taper, it's the only thing that transmit the power through the coupler.

You've got to ask yourself how the guy that assembled this failed to realize he had cross threaded that nut. It's either that, or he used a mondo 3/4" impact wrench on it an stripped them in place. Judging from the galling it looks like it's been slipping for a while.

mmmmm .. ... tell me a "bang shift" isn't what it sounds like.

mmmmm .. ... tell me a "bang shift" isn't what it sounds like.

With that early shaft there's probably also a full weight early flywheel. Probably not so much a "bang shift" as a "BANG SHIFT."

Very glad for you that it didn't lock up, Rogue!

A 'bang shift' is where you blip the throttle, ease off quickly, and in that brief moment when the entire drive train is 'floating free' jab the shifter up or down, and 'bang' into a different gear. Done right, it's as smooth or smoother than a clutch shift. Done wrong, and the whole bike jerks as you 'bang' into the the next gear. Relatively harmless if done perfectly, but potentially very very bad if you 'miss'.

Actually the bike has a rather professionally lightened flywheel.

It might have started life as a 1977 R75/7, but it's a rolling mish-mash now.

/6 heads.

/5 trans.

/5 forks

unknown jugs, but bigger than 750cc, and -not- /7

lightened flywheel.

It's name is 'Mutant'.

Back