• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 Rally!

The Nationals history list. . .

MarkF said:
Dave,
What's the link for the list of where all the rallies were held?
As I remember it was pretty well spread out, except for the southwest - HOT!

KBasa said:
I think there's a list in the front of the Anonymous book.
The current methodology is to try and move it to a different region each year so the maximum number of folks get to attend.

Let's see:

Lima. . . Spokane. . . Charleston. . . Trenton. . . Redmond

I think that covers it pretty well for the last 5 years.

Page 8 of the 2005 Anonymous lists the Nationals from ÔÇÖ73 to the present. Check out the location pattern and the facility used for each rally:

1973 - Morgan Hill, CALIFORNIA (fairground)
1974 - Table Rock, SOUTH CAROLINA (campground)
1975 - Branson, MISSOURI (campground)
1976 - Oshkosh, WISCONSIN (EAA airfield facility)
1977 - Colorado Springs, COLORADO (a dude ranch!)
1978 - Rutland, VERMONT (fairground)
1979 - Brainerd, MINNESOTA (a racetrack!)
1980 - Prineville, OREGON (fairground)
1981 - Hurricane Mills, TENNESSEE (a dude ranch)
1982 - Shreve, OHIO (campground)
1983 - Lake Placid, NEW YORK (a horse show grounds)
1984 - Missoula, MONTANA (fairground)
1985 - Lake Wales, FLORIDA (resort)
1986 - Laguna Seca, CALIFORNIA (THE motorcycle raceway)
1987 - Escanaba, MICHIGAN (fairground)
1988 - Madison, INDIANA (fairground)
1989 - York, PENNSYLVANIA (fairground)
1990 - Rapid City, SOUTH DAKOTA (fairground)
1991 - Flagstaff, ARIZONA (fairground)
1992 - DuQuoin, ILLINOIS (fairground)
1993 - Oshkosh, WISCONSIN (fairground)
1994 - Moodus, CONNECTICUT (resort)
1995 - Durango, COLORADO (fairground)
1996 - Morganton, NORTH CAROLINA (fairground)
1997 - Fredricksburg, TEXAS (municipal park)
1998 - Missoula, MONTANA (fairground)
1999 - Rhinebeck, NEW YORK (fairground)
2000 - Midland, MICHIGAN (fairground)
2001 - Redmond, OREGON (fairground)
2002 - Trenton, ONTARIO (city park ÔÇô a LARGE city park!)
2003 - Charleston, WEST VIRGINIA (an ÔÇÿin townÔÇÖ Civic Center)
2004 - Spokane, WASHINGTON (fairground)
2005 - Lima, OHIO (fairground)
2006 - Burlington, VERMONT (fairground)
2007 - only 'The Shadow' knows for sure ` ` :hide

34 rallies held in 20 fairgrounds, 3 campgrounds, 2 resorts, 1 airport facility, 2 racetracks, 1 horse show venue, 2 city parks, 1 downtown Civic Center and 2 dude ranches. Common denominator seems to be "the fairground" where thereÔÇÖs lots of camping space, good permanent facilities and a large grandstand or arena.
My favourite venue thus far has been REDMOND in 2001.

I'm getting too old and bug-eyed for the really hot weather dressed in ATGATT (e.g. Lima this year) so I wouldn't be heading to Arizona, Utah, New Mexico or Nevada for a rally anytime in July unless it was some resort up in the mountains where you could expect cool nights. Anybody in the Southwest area of The Lower 48 got any ideas or suggestions about high mountain resorts that would/could accommodate a future National?

SlashFiveTourer said:
Page 8 of the 2005 Anonymous lists the Nationals from ÔÇÖ73 to the present. Check out the location pattern and the facility used for each rally:

2007 - ['The Shadow' knows for sure `

Who is this guy "The Shadow" ? I would like to meet this dude, maybe he could help the Rally Site Selection Committee to find a rally site in 2007.
What are the Ozarks like in July?? :D

Rally site 2007?

Anywhere in & around the rockies is always ok by me! Beautiful days, cool nights, lots of my favorite roads....and a "reasonably" accessable area for most members. As I recall, attendance in the (real) midwest was always up there.
Mexico would get my attention, too, if we could find a place that's not too far for the members to ride and still interesting & practical....seems appropriate, too, now that we've done a Canadian National!
The NWT/Alaska is still the nicest ride I remember, but I can't imagine the numbers working out. A lot of the prettiest riding I've ever done was between Seattle and Inuvik, but it's a long ride for most folks, even if you live in Seattle!
And there's a real nice little rally in Alaska- check out the Last Frontier Rally if you can!

Looking for my whacky hat...... :bottle

SlashFiveTourer said:
I'm getting too old and bug-eyed for the really hot weather dressed in ATGATT (e.g. Lima this year) so I wouldn't be heading to Arizona, Utah, New Mexico or Nevada for a rally anytime in July unless it was some resort up in the mountains where you could expect cool nights. Anybody in the Southwest area of The Lower 48 got any ideas or suggestions about high mountain resorts that would/could accommodate a future National?

Hey Mr. President, see that? :stick

If I told you once :fight I have told you a million times that Vegas just won't work!

1973 - Morgan Hill, CALIFORNIA (fairground)
1974 - Table Rock, SOUTH CAROLINA (campground)
1975 - Branson, MISSOURI (campground)
1976 - Oshkosh, WISCONSIN (EAA airfield facility)
1977 - Colorado Springs, COLORADO (a dude ranch!)
1978 - Rutland, VERMONT (fairground)
1979 - Brainerd, MINNESOTA (a racetrack!)
1980 - Prineville, OREGON (fairground)
1981 - Hurricane Mills, TENNESSEE (a dude ranch)
1982 - Shreve, OHIO (campground)
1983 - Lake Placid, NEW YORK (a horse show grounds)
1984 - Missoula, MONTANA (fairground)
1985 - Lake Wales, FLORIDA (resort)
1986 - Laguna Seca, CALIFORNIA (THE motorcycle raceway)
1987 - Escanaba, MICHIGAN (fairground)
1988 - Madison, INDIANA (fairground)
1989 - York, PENNSYLVANIA (fairground)
1990 - Rapid City, SOUTH DAKOTA (fairground)
1991 - Flagstaff, ARIZONA (fairground)
1992 - DuQuoin, ILLINOIS (fairground)
1993 - Oshkosh, WISCONSIN (fairground)
1994 - Moodus, CONNECTICUT (resort)
1995 - Durango, COLORADO (fairground)
1996 - Morganton, NORTH CAROLINA (fairground)
1997 - Fredricksburg, TEXAS (municipal park)
1998 - Missoula, MONTANA (fairground)
1999 - Rhinebeck, NEW YORK (fairground)
2000 - Midland, MICHIGAN (fairground)
2001 - Redmond, OREGON (fairground)
2002 - Trenton, ONTARIO (city park ÔÇô a LARGE city park!)
2003 - Charleston, WEST VIRGINIA (an ÔÇÿin townÔÇÖ Civic Center)
2004 - Spokane, WASHINGTON (fairground)
2007 - Vermont ( again )

I see that the 2007 location is Vermont again. Too far again to ride there in the time alloted to me. So I won't be going again this year. I would like to attend one MOA rally before I die. Not enough MOA rallies are being held in the South / Southwest. If July is too hot for ya, change the date to the Fall or Spring.

Location is no guarantee against hot weather. July 9 2005, in the Black Hills of South Dakota it was 106 degrees. Much hotter than Texas that day. I understand that the Top of the Rookies Rally a week later was also hot.

mike cousino said:
Hope they announce it early so I can start making plans to get time off. I hear the Ozarks are nice. :stick

The new policy is as soon as all the contracts are signed, it will be announced.

The Shadow knows. . .

Kiltmeister said:
2007 - only 'The Shadow' knows for sure :hide

Who is this guy "The Shadow" ? I would like to meet this dude, maybe he could help the Rally Site Selection Committee to find a rally site in 2007. . .
Hey, Kilt. . . donÔÇÖt ya 'member back to those dark years of the 20th century. . . when a slim figure cloaked in black fought mobsters, evil scientists, crazed old men and foreign invaders with two blazing automatics and a laugh that chilled the hearts of evil. That mysterious figure was. . . ÔÇÿThe Shadow'.

If ÔÇÿThe ShadowÔÇÖ canÔÇÖt help the Selection Committee figure out something for ÔÇÖ07, maybe we can enlist the aid of. . . ÔÇÿBoston BlackieÔÇÖ ÔÇô ÔÇ£Friend to those who have no friends, enemy to those who make him an enemy!ÔÇØ

{Note to members under 60:- Just Google up ÔÇÿThe ShadowÔÇÖ and ÔÇÿBoston BlackieÔÇÖ ÔÇô characters from the days of yore when men were men and the women liked it that way. Pure listening entertainment from The Golden Age of Radio when all you needed was your imagination, a glass of sherry and a good cigar. Yes, indeed.}

Anything ring a bell there, Kilt?

Last edited:

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow do!

:p

BradfordBenn said:
The new policy is as soon as all the contracts are signed, it will be announced.

The unfortunate side effect of this policy is that you may just have a few hotels ignore the contracts when they are getting bombarded with calls from MOA members trying to book rooms two years in advance.

The days of MOA negotiated discount accomodations are over. Now we are focusing on getting the local establishments to not raise their rack rates for the time we are there.

I supported letting members know the zone and date but not the city which we could do years in advance and not have it affect negotiations. It is just about impossible to negotiate any considerations when the folks you are dealing with are getting bombarded by calls from people ready to book at any price.

Best,

SlashFiveTourer said:
Hey, Kilt. . . donÔÇÖt ya 'member back to those dark years of the 20th century. . . when a slim figure cloaked in black fought mobsters, evil scientists, crazed old men and foreign invaders with two blazing automatics and a laugh that chilled the hearts of evil. That mysterious figure was. . . ÔÇÿThe Shadow'.

{Note to members under 60:- Just Google up ÔÇÿThe ShadowÔÇÖ and ÔÇÿBoston BlackieÔÇÖ ÔÇô characters from the days of yore when men were men and the women liked it that way. Pure listening entertainment from The Golden Age of Radio when all you needed was your imagination, a glass of sherry and a good cigar. Yes, indeed.}

Anything ring a bell there, Kilt?

I remember a good many more from my days of listening to the radio in my younger years....
Inner Sanctum(with the squeaky door) The FBI - in peace and war, and the Green Hornet snd his sidekick Cato.
Those were the days!!!

Rob Nye said:
The unfortunate side effect of this policy is that you may just have a few hotels ignore the contracts when they are getting bombarded with calls from MOA members trying to book rooms two years in advance.

The days of MOA negotiated discount accomodations are over. Now we are focusing on getting the local establishments to not raise their rack rates for the time we are there.

I supported letting members know the zone and date but not the city which we could do years in advance and not have it affect negotiations. It is just about impossible to negotiate any considerations when the folks you are dealing with are getting bombarded by calls from people ready to book at any price.

Best,

Good point, Rob. I always liked it being a surprise at the awards ceremony anyway, and I've never stayed at a motel during the rally- I never felt that the new policy was any better than a toss-up against the old policy. If it doesn't work out as well as we hoped, change it back! :nyah

Somehow a martini made in a Eureka Timberline tastes a little better!
(Rob, how come there's no martini smilie?) :hungover

Logic says West

2001 - Redmond, OREGON (fairground) West
2002 - Trenton, ONTARIO (city park ÔÇô a LARGE city park!) East Canada
2003 - Charleston, WEST VIRGINIA (an ÔÇÿin townÔÇÖ Civic Center) East U.S.
2004 - Spokane, WASHINGTON (fairground) West
2005 - Lima, OHIO (fairground) Mid/East
2006 - Burlington, VERMONT (fairground) East

2007 - ? West, Mid/West

Back