• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do you refuel while on or off the bike?

I get off the bike.......I know I'm going to drop something and have to get off the bike anyway.. so- might as well be ready :hungover
OM

Let me see..........pouring a flammable liquid above a hot engine. Yep, I want to do that while balancing a 500+ lb motorcycle.....

Boy ,you started one of those winter threads that has many correct opinions.:stick

Depends...:laugh:laugh

I'm a slow learner. It took two times of the pump not shutting off, pouring gas on a hot engine and me before I stopped filling the bike while sitting on it.

Always off the bike. It may only be once in every 8,342,716 times something happens and there's a fire/explosion/etc. that kills you by staying on the bike but that's once too often to suit me.

On long rides requiring fuel every 250 miles I usually stay on the bike for three fuel stops. I still put it on the side stand though while fueling. I try to get off & back on the highway in under 5 minutes.

At the risk of getting my head yelled off, there is something very satisfying about refueling while you are on the bike. I mean this is another thing that you can do on a bike and not on (in ) a car. I do understand that with overly heavy bikes it is exercise in futility but on a lighter bike its an event.
I have 04 Rockster and I always do it on the bike. I would appreciate withholding the mandatory "you will burn and it serves you well". I mean we all ride bikes knowing that is is inherently more dangerous mode of transportation. If we were "limiting risks" we would never get on it in the first place.
I just hope that somebody else will fess up to it.

As mentioned earlier, on a long ride I will usually have my CC ready (always in the same zippered pocket), pull up to the pump & insert the card & return it to the pocket. I usually stand on my feet and balance the bike between my legs to get some blood flowing again.
While waiting on the pump, I unlock the fuel cap and replace the key in the ignition, then refuel the bike.
While waiting for the receipt, I zero the odometer, and write down miles traveled on the receipt which goes in the side pocket of my tank bag, fire the bike and I'm gone. Takes 3-4 minutes.

In a more leisurely time, I'll dismount, and sometimes even take off my helmet.

Ken

As mentioned earlier, on a long ride I will usually have my CC ready (always in the same zippered pocket), pull up to the pump & insert the card & return it to the pocket. I usually stand on my feet and balance the bike between my legs to get some blood flowing again.
While waiting on the pump, I unlock the fuel cap and replace the key in the ignition, then refuel the bike.
While waiting for the receipt, I zero the odometer, and write down miles traveled on the receipt which goes in the side pocket of my tank bag, fire the bike and I'm gone. Takes 3-4 minutes.

In a more leisurely time, I'll dismount, and sometimes even take off my helmet.

Ken

Right there with you, even jiggle the bike a little between the legs,but I am trying to be at optimum efficiency with time just like you.

Almost never happens.....

Attachments

• wmb-motorcycle-catches-on-fire-at-gas-station.jpg
    wmb-motorcycle-catches-on-fire-at-gas-station.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 183
Off the bike for this rider. If the K75 fuel cap faced away from the rider when open, I might stay on the bike. Anyone ever modify their K bike gas cap?

What is the immediate hurry for those of you who need to limit or time your gas stops? Is it the same when you gas the car? Is this in connection with a job, like being a courier? What is the ultimate goal?

Back