• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'11 R1200RT will not Downshift at times

You certainly can't use a lube glob that gets pushed out when you slide the assembly in place- it will only end up on the plate as you note. But some judicious use of moly paste carefully applied won't hurt. You're right about the RepROM saying nothing about it but then it says virtually nothing anyway- what it does say can be condensed to "no need to look for balance position, use the alignment tool when you put it back" as almost of the rest is even less informative boilerplate text.

Our local club hasn't seen issues that indicate alignment issues of any significant type with hexheads/camheads. Those that have had seal problems of any type have generally had them cured by simple replacements and not needed repeats.

Anyway, glad its working well. If someone else reports this same issue your thread will be of help to them.

Wyman, glad to hear your shifting issues have been solved, even if it means you did without your bike for a while. I only wish I could find a solution to my shifting issues. It is so bad going into 2nd (from 3rd) I'm thinking of trading up to a new wethead just to get better shifting. It truly does ruin an otherwise great bike.

Jim
Canton. OH

Wyman, glad to hear your shifting issues have been solved, even if it means you did without your bike for a while. I only wish I could find a solution to my shifting issues. It is so bad going into 2nd (from 3rd) I'm thinking of trading up to a new wethead just to get better shifting. It truly does ruin an otherwise great bike.

Jim
Canton. OH

Jim....

i would consult with your dealership and maybe have them look into the clutch/input shaft....maybe they can contact BMW MC of Long Beach and speak with Paul (the Master Tech that worked on my RT).....maybe he has some insight....

but all i can say is the RT is a different bike....shifts smoothly up or down, just like a Japanese tranny.....

i too was thinking of trading her in....but after this fix, Sassy is a keeper...

good luck my friend....wish i could be more help...

wyman

Well, Wyman I will be at my dealers door when they open...seems I have a puddle of oil under my bike that appears to be coming from the rear main seal. Could be the transmission input shaft I guess, but it does not smell like gear lube.

I just got home from a 4,000+ mile trip to Texas / New Mexico to include the MotoGP in Austin. I now recall the last day or two of the trip when I shut the bike off or sitting at a red light I smelled something hot. Looking under the bike I can see where it has been dripping and blowing back to where the pipes come together in front of the catalytic converter.

Of course this happens right before I planned to take off to go to the Georgia Mountain Rally...dammit. My bike has 22K on it and is of course still under warranty. This is almost the same mileage when my 2003 K1200RS rear main seal let go.

I have no faith that when I get it back it will shift any better, but maybe so...maybe it is time to take another look at a 2014GS.

Jim
Canton, OH

Update to Downshifting Issue with '11 RT - Not the clutch!

After two trips to my local BMW dealer, I still had the occasional downshifting issue with my '11 RT. I thought it was just a cold weather issue but found it just kept getting worse, even as summer approached. I decided to put the bike on the center stand and look up under it and discovered that the shift linkage connecting the transmission to the shift lever was very loose (almost disconnected). Since the bike was still under warranty, I trailered it back to the dealer and told them what the problem was. They tightened the linkage and it is now shifting normally. I don't know why they didn't find this but am glad it didn't come all the way apart and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Back