• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canadian "ZIP" Codes for Pay-at-the-Pump Convenience

jopars

K'nothead
As a frequent Canadian traveler to US, I always found myself frustrated when I couldn't "Pay-at-the-Pump" (PATP) with my credit card because the fuel station security program asked for a ZIP code. I'm partially disabled, so I often find even one trip into the kiosk to pay (never mind two) more than I'm comfortable with.

Additionally, most such stations mandate pre-payment in the absence of a valid credit card, so a fuel stop can often wind up like this:
-Pull up to the pump, insert my card and answer the tiresome questions (no, I don't have a rewards card; no, I don't want a car wash; etc.), only to ultimately be asked to enter a valid ZIP code. PATP failed, must pay inside first. :banghead
- Walk to the kiosk, wait in line. I am given the choice of leaving my credit card with the attendant, or pre-authorizing a set amount. Not wanting to let my credit card out of my sight, I pre-authorize more than what is required to fill my tank, say $30 US.
- Walk back to my vehicle and fill my tank. It takes, say $20 US.
- Walk back to the kiosk, wait in line again. Finally ask for the refund to be credited back on my card. The $10 US comes back to my account at a less-favorable rate of exchange than it came out for, meaning it winds up costing me more money than the straight transaction, for less convenience. Another wrinkle is that refunds or "credits" can take up to 2 weeks to appear on your card account. :deal

Sure, I could use cash (still requires 4 trips back-and-forth though), or not top up my tank, but still, the convenience and simplicity of PATP is essentially denied for Canadians touring the US. I have fought and railed at the credit card companies for years, to no remedy or effect. :fight

Until now.

I became 'aware' of a method for Canadians to respond with a "valid" ZIP code when prompted by the pump security programs. The credit card companies and the fuel companies apparently do not know about it (they certainly don't share or publicize the info), but I've just returned from a many thousand mile driving trip through the US, and it worked at every pump I used.

Canadian postal codes are alpha-numeric, consisting of 3 letters and 3 numbers. US ZIP codes are 5 numbers, so the pumps use numeric keypads only. To obtain a "valid" ZIP code that will match your card data, enter two zeroes followed by the 3 numbers in your postal code (in order).
For my postal code of S6H 0N8, my pump ZIP code becomes 00608. Problem solved. :thumb

Note that this is not illegal or fraudulent, and still technically satisfies the security requirements of the fuel and credit card companies. I don't know why this information is so "secret" or poorly known, but regardless, it works. :dunno

To all you similarly frustrated Canadians touring the US, give it a try. And when it works, spread the word to more of your countrymen. :ca:bliss

Cheers
JP

Pretty smart work around. Now can you work one out that works for US cardholders traveling in Canada?

We experience similar problems sometimes during our frequent rides in Canada. I normally leave my drivers license with the attendant. I'm going to try an old canceled card sometime to see how that works.

Considering all the cross border travel between the two nations one would think the banks could figure this out.

Postal Codes/Zip Codes

JP

Darryl and I have had the same problems as you have referred to. Someone had told us of this. We have had occasion to try this on one occasion and it worked. Luck here in Ontario when we cross the border, NY, PA, OH etc we have not run into this issue, we find it more in the mid west and western states. It certainly frustrating I have been standing at the counter with credit card in hand and Darryl at the pump and they would not turn on the pump. We became very frustrated at one particular "brand name " that we will not stop at them anymore. Most of the time in the north east we don't have any issues.

You would think with modern computer technology, chips, pins, birth of your first dog (child) and the advertising of the "World Wide Credit Cards" you would actually be able to use them world wide.

Spring?/riding season is coming soon, right!

I've been eliminating the letters from my postal code and adding two zeros for quite a few years now, quite successfully. Occasionally the machine will indicate that I need to see the cashier. I believe that is the credit card company wanting to double check my ID since I have been making so many small fuel purchases. Even though I inform the company that I will be out of the country making small purchases, I still occasionally get asked to identify myself with the card, usually once every three or four days on a long trip.

It's a two way street, paying in Canada with US cards can be a PITA too. I've written about it here before, not gonna do so again.

Tom & Kevin;

It's too bad that Americans visiting Canada also have problems with credit card access. I'm not familiar with the problems you encounter, because AFAIK Canadian pumps do not have overt security programs in place. In general, I find that a greater percentage of Canadian pumps are still "dumb" and have no card readers (thus no PATP), and we have quite a few that use the "chip" readers that require a totally different protocol. I would be interested to know if the difficulties Amercans encounter, are specific to one issue, or just the usual random difficulties with electronic commerce.

Terry's also correct that the problem I described is far more prevalent in the western US, and usually wasn't encountered until south of Kansas City, but has been moving north in recent years. I have since found a few people that have known about the workaround (I finally heard about it through incidental word-of-mouth), but despite many angry exchanges with the credit card companies over the years, they remain oblivious of it. :scratch

JP

Back