• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Brake Anti-Rattle Clip???

bobr9

99 R1100RT

Anyone know what the little spring clip (don't know what else to call it) is that falls out when you remove the rear brake pads? I assume it is some type of anti-rattle spring/clip. Real thin metal piece about an inch long and 3/4 inch wide. I can not find it on the parts microfiche. One of the tabs is broken off from the main body so I need to find out if it is even necessary to put back in or not. Thanks

It's included in the repair kit:
34 21 2 330 313 SET MOUNTING PARTS $22

Attachments

• 34212330313_1_N.jpg
    34212330313_1_N.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 98
It's included in the repair kit:
34 21 2 330 313 SET MOUNTING PARTS $22

GS.....can you tell me which side of the clip faces up towards the top of the brake caliper? I can't find a decent diagram and it just fell out when I took it apart. Thanks...

The fore and aft ends face downwards, the center goes up.

If you look at the image the 2 brake pad edges would go under the clip as it is sitting

The fore and aft ends face downwards, the center goes up.

If you look at the image the 2 brake pad edges would go under the clip as it is sitting

Thanks GS...now my next question. I am assuming the clip is meant to be centered (front to back centered) within the caliper body. Also, I am assuming that the two tangs that stick up are meant to "snap in" somewhere to hold the clip in place? If so then I can't seem to figure out how it clips in, because the recessed area at the center of the caliper is not wide enough for the spring clips to lock in. Seems like I either need to put it on one side or the other, and neither way seems to fit very well in my opinion. I don't want to just shove this thing in there. Any advice on this?

Thanks GS...now my next question. I am assuming the clip is meant to be centered (front to back centered) within the caliper body. Also, I am assuming that the two tangs that stick up are meant to "snap in" somewhere to hold the clip in place? If so then I can't seem to figure out how it clips in, because the recessed area at the center of the caliper is not wide enough for the spring clips to lock in. Seems like I either need to put it on one side or the other, and neither way seems to fit very well in my opinion. I don't want to just shove this thing in there. Any advice on this?

It goes in closest to the back retaining pin.

Back