• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shoei GT-Air

markaz

Anyone have a Shoei GT-Air helmet? How do you like it? What do you not like about it? It seems to fit me well and has good reviews and I'm thinking about getting one but some input from actual users would be appreciated. I'm also considering an RF-1200. Thanks...

A good source for helmet reviews is webbikeworld. What I like about them is they look at a lot of aspects of each helmet they review.

Of course, personal experience is great, but webbikeworld is just another source of information.

I do not have a GT-Air, I have a Shoei Qwest purchased new last summer. I must say that I really like this helmet, and the reviews on Webbikeworld definitely helped me make my decision.

Good Luck with whatever direction you take. Shoei makes good helmets.

Head shape and finding a compatible helmet go a long ways to your satisfaction. It would be best if you can find a local dealer with knowledgable staff so you can try helmets on. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend Revzilla (for their wide selection of quality gear and excellent customer service) and the above mentioned webbikeworld reviews.

Thanks, guys. I did try one on at the local CycleGear and it seems to fit fine...probably a mistake, now I really want one. The webbikeworld review is glowing and other reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Gotta decide if I want to spend $500 (and get the wife's OK :) ).

Sizing?

So after trying one on, how do they run sizewise? I've had several Shoeis over the years and ready for another. My first ones were all M and fit fine. My last one last one though, a Z Two, was a L, which I bought from an individual who had always wore a large but was forced to go to an XL. That model just ran small. So back to my original question, how to they run regarding size? Do they run small, large or about what you'd expect? Thanks for your insights.

I don't have enough experience with Shoei, or helmets in general, to say. The 2XL GT-Air seems to fit me pretty well, at least for the time I wore it in the store. It was pretty tight getting it on but once on, it was snug but not uncomfortably tight. I usually wear a size 7 3/4 to 8 hat so the GT-Air 2XL seems to match that, according to their sizing charts. Check out the webbikeworld review on the GT-Air, they have some comments about sizing and head shape. Some of the comments on the GT-Air on Revzilla and other online vendors also mention sizing. From what I've read, some people seem to be happier with the next larger size compared to other helmets while others say that the size matches what they've worn in the past. I think it's partly due to head shape. Best bet is probably to try one on if you can.

Wear it long enough to find out if there are any pressure spots that show up after some time. Wear it for more than 5-10 minute if possible. Some people say try to wear it for a half hour to be sure.

I've had my GT Air for awhile now and it has really broken in well. It is smaller at the opening to cut down on noise so it's a little hard to slip on compared to the other Shoei helmets I owned. Once on, it's fine but a little snug in the beginning. Like most helmets, now that it's broken in fit is spot on.

Airflow is really good and the shield ratcheting is stiff so it doesn't slam shut when riding at speed.

If you have an oval shaped head and have had good luck with Shoei in the past like me, the GT Air is great. One of the best helmets I've owned. My 2 cents...

Shoei GT Air

Just ordered one. I liked the UV a and b protection guaranteed, and the inside sunglasses. It was a toss up between the Kabuto Kamuri and the GT air. Didn't like the non-response from Kabuto on their UV protection. Very important to me.

Shoei guarantees 99% UV A&B. B is the important one. Kabuto doesn't say anything more that UV protected. What does that mean. Clear plastic takes care of A, so they could say UVA protected with clear plastic, and still be technically correct, but not really protecting against anything. My emails to them went unanswered, so I called their USA distributor in Idaho, and got nothing more that UV protected. Thats why I went with the GT Air. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Airflow is really good and the shield ratcheting is stiff so it doesn't slam shut when riding at speed.

I bought one last summer. While the fit is great, the integrated visor as well, but I have a real issue with the ventilation. It was reviewed as having great airflow, but I find it awful on the face. Good across the top of the head, but it get no air on my face at all. I switch to my RX-Q and it's a night and day difference. Who knows, maybe I have a bad one?

Back