• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Givi vs Jesse luggage

Has anyone tried the new Trekker luggage from Givi on their GS?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi...o-fit-givi-trekker-outback-aluminum-sidecases

It looks to be about $500 less than a set of Jesse'

I've always been a fan of Jesse' luggage but $500 is $500.............just sayin.

I have a new 13 GS coming and can't wait to begin shopping.

thanks for any input.
jason

It looks interesting. But before I would leap I would let somebody else do it and report back on what happens when the bike lands on a sidecase, either at speed or just a full parking lot tipover. All those corner pieces and such make it look fragile. It might not be, but it looks that way to me.

It looks interesting. But before I would leap I would let somebody else do it and report back on what happens when the bike lands on a sidecase, either at speed or just a full parking lot tipover. All those corner pieces and such make it look fragile. It might not be, but it looks that way to me.

I have been using the Trekker bags for two months. Luckily I haven't had to test them by 'falling over!' I've had Jesse and Tour Tech... these were $700 less than a pair of Tour tech. I like them. They are as large as the big tour tech. I bought the smaller bag for the right side but have now bought the largest bag to match the large one on the left. I have a 33 litre for sale at a good price!! Everything works well and they look right. I like them.

I've owned a lot of very good luggage, now using Jesse and wouldn't go back to any of it. There's a reason for that $500. The boxes I liked the least were all from Givi, was always buying replacement parts for them.

That said, I wouldn't add another $500+ for Touratech.

Got no experience with this new Givi stuff but every other Givi device I've used or seen is a long way from the way Jesse's are built.
(So are BMW's stock stuff).
If I had a GS and even contemplated that I'd be riding dirt and rocks, the Jesse's would be an automatic.

Hi, not to hijack, but I am looking at getting a 2014R1200GSW.
I have been researching panniers.

Although somewhat expensive, I plan on going with Metal Mule balanced system.

You can see them here http://www.metalmule.com

and here (USA importer) https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-101-metal-mule-products.aspx

GREAT reviews from everyone who has used them. Have not seen any negatives from any owners, except for folks that don't own them whine about the cost.

Just saying...

We've had Jesses on 3 of our bikes and they have all survived spills with no more than scrapes.

When I lived in AK I used to see hundreds of bikes that had just finished the run to Deadhorse. Bikes that had been in a mishap of some sort were common. Square cases often were tweaked to the point that the lids would not fit or seal. Not so with the Jesses. I do remember a Jesse that was torn off the bike, but the case still looked in good shape. I do have square Hepco Becker cases on my R12R and they look much like the Givis with composite corners. They have survived a few tip overs without any damage, but if Al Jesse made cases for the R, then I would have them.

It was just brought to my attention that the cost of the 10" Jesse bags includes the brackets.................

So, my calculations are wrong, the Jesse's are only about $200 more than the Givi.

Makes the decision much easier! Jesse's for sure.

jason

Hey Jason!

I have not ridden with the Givi boxes, and the specs on the Twisted Throttle page are very thin, so please pardon my conjectures.

However, I have ridden with boxes that the Givi copied and here are a few comments.

The Givis are put together with pop rivets, the Jesses are welded, which is far more durable.

Not sure how thick the Givi aluminum is, Jesses are 2mm... very rugged.

The plastic corners on the Givis will evaporate on the first drop of any consequence. The Jesses don't need plastic corners.

While there are no specs for the Givi, they *look* like they hold less, are wider, and carry the weight higher than the Jesse boxes.

Knowing the level of quality I've seen on other Givi products (not terrible, but not premium) I will bet that the hinges and mounting system are nowhere near as rugged at the Jesse boxes.

And... one of the most important features, imo, is the shape of the lower edge. Givis are almost square, and Jesses are angled inward, especially on the front. The importance of this feature becomes immediately obvious the first time you're paddling with your feet through deep sand or mud. A squared-off bottom is far more likely to break your lower leg, especially in a get-off.

I've got maybe 350k miles on Jesses, dating back to his first set for the R80G/S in 1996. They work. :nod

Ian

Packable lids, simple attachment, sturdy hinges and latches....
IMG_2907-X3.jpg

Although somewhat expensive, I plan on going with Metal Mule balanced system.

Before you buy, see if you can sit on a bike that has them mounted. Move your lower legs fore and aft, as if paddling through some difficult terrain (yeah, I mostly stand, too, but there comes a time...).

I think you'll find your legs will hit the lower leading edge of the box.

Ian

All right, where did the grease mud quote originally come from? My buddy put it on his first bike in the mid 60's with dymo tape and then I looked at it for years after I bought that bike from him. I'm sure I have a picture of it somewhere.

Before you buy, see if you can sit on a bike that has them mounted. Move your lower legs fore and aft, as if paddling through some difficult terrain (yeah, I mostly stand, too, but there comes a time...).

I think you'll find your legs will hit the lower leading edge of the box.

Ian

Good point. I will check it out.

Back